FileMaker prints only blank pages.

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

10.0.v3

Operating system version

Mac OS X  10.6.4

Description of the issue

MacBook Pro (identical problem on both three year old machine that used to print correctly and currently has 10.0.v3 update, and a brand new machine with newly installed Filemaker, 10.0.v1)
      Mac OS X 10.6.4
      Filemaker Pro 10

> After a two month trip without a printer and installing the latest Mac operating system, my Filemaker program stopped printing records.
      > In Filemaker, when a record is displayed: the record is show correctly; is show correctly in “preview” mode; when “print” is selected the screen still is correct - but when “preview” in the print window is selected a blank screen appears using the preview application; if printing is continued from any location - a blank page is printed.
      > The Preview application works normally in all other applications.
      > The HP Laserjet 1022 prints correctly from all other applications.

> I have searched the Forum and Help and followed (as best I can) suggestions on other printing problems.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Any and all printing from FileMaker results in a blank page.
      To the best of my knowledge, I have searched all possible settings that might help.

Workaround

Make a copy of the screen - an unsatisfactory path.

• 1. Re: FileMaker prints only blank pages.
          TSGal

wwallen:

Thank you for your post.

I have access to several HP Laserjet machines, but not the 1022.

Try creating a new database file with one field.  Enter a couple of records.  Pull down the View menu and select "Preview Mode".  Does the information display?  If not, then uninstall and reinstall FileMaker Pro.  If so, go to Print, select "Records being browsed", select your printer, and print.  Is the page blank?  If so, then go to Print again, select "Records being browsed", click on PDF dropdown and select "Save as PDF...".  Does this work?

If this all works with the new database file, return to your original file, and try the same steps.  If this fails, then try recovering the file, open the recovered file and try to print.

Please continue to keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker prints only blank pages.
            CharlesSemple

Hello wwallen,

Did you manage to get anywhere with your problem or have you resorted to the PDF workaround?

My company is having the same problem with FM Pro.  We've recently acquired a company using FileMaker Pro and it will not print anything but blank pages on the two printers we have provided them with; one an HP CP1215 and the other a Canon IR C1021i.

The printer works fine with everyone other application just not FM Pro which suggests a driver/application compatibility problem.

Has anyone had any luck with using any specific printer drivers; PCL5, PCL6, PS?

• 3. Re: FileMaker prints only blank pages.
              TSGal

Charles Semple:

Thank you for your post.

Whatever appears in Preview Mode should be exactly what is sent to the Printer.  In other words, is your Preview also blank?

Are you printing manually via the File menu or do you have a pre-defined script?  What options are you selecting in the Print dialog box?

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FileMaker prints only blank pages.
                philmodjunk

Is it only text that is not being printed? are both old and new machines running Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard)?

If so, trying selecting a different font for the text and see if that makes a difference. Snow Leopard has had issues with certain fonts and/or font suitcases that worked fine with older versions of the Mac OS.

• 5. Re: FileMaker prints only blank pages.
                  CharlesSemple

Apologies if I've posted on the wrong forum but this is a problem on Windows 7 not Mac OS.

I can see the text in the preview window but when I print i get nothing but a line at the bottom of the page saying something along the lines of "Created on8 Oct 2010 at 13:30 hours by...." and none of the text of the reports appears.

I have tried printing this to all the printers we have here which are HP, Xerox or Canon and using a variety of PCL5, PCL6 and PS drivers and i cannot get anything but a blank page with a line at the bottom.

I have discovered however that the program that this new company uses is a third party piece of software built on FileMaker Pro and it's using an old version at that.  It appears to be built on FileMaker Pro 5.5.  I presume that incompatiblity due to age might easily account for what I'm seeing.

I'll raise a call directly with the software developers.

Thanks for your time and if anyone can shed any light I'm all ears.

• 6. Re: FileMaker prints only blank pages.
                    TSGal

Charles Semple:

Thank you for the update.  I had to edit your post because nothing was being displayed.  It appeared to have been copied and pasted from somewhere else.

A lot changed between FileMaker Pro 5.5 and FileMaker Pro 11.  Are you selecting the option "Records being browsed"?  If you are only printing the current record, this may cause a blank page possibly due to no Body part and only Sub-summary parts.

Try printing to PDF, and then open the PDF file.  Does this show the correct information?  If so, try printing this.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FileMaker prints only blank pages.
                      JaneBartlett

I have a similar problem with FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.  We have licenses for this software on 6 computers on a peer-to-peer network.  One computer cannot print from Filemaker.  The print preview looks correct on this computer; that computer can print to the printers from other applications; the Filemaker printing has been tested with several printers from that same computer; the same databases can be printed on those printers from other computers on the networks.  On the computer that doesn't work, the print preview looks correct, but, when the user tries to print, the printer dialog box is displayed and, when the OK command button is clicked there, the box shows briefly for each page printing, but the correct thing does not print.  One of the layouts prints a blank page, for each page that should print.  Another layout prints underlines that are on the layout, but no data or data labels.  Any ideas?

• 8. Re: FileMaker prints only blank pages.
                        TSGal

Jane Bartlett:

Thank you for your post.

What operating system and version of operating system are you running FileMaker Pro?  Is this different from the other computers on the network?

Does this printing problem occur with all database files or just one particular file?  If you are only using one file (and it appears to be a shared file), create a new database file (locally) with one field and one record.  Try printing.

Although you mention other printers, you don't specifically mention printing to more than one printer from FileMaker Pro.

What printer(s) are you trying to print to?  What driver is being used?  Is this the same driver being used on the other computers that print successfully?

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FileMaker prints only blank pages.
                          JaneBartlett

TSGal,

Here's the info you asked about.  The operating system on the computer with the printing issues is Windows XP, Home, Version 2002, Service Pack 2.

The printing problem occurs on all databases, both on the immediate computer & others opened remotely from another computer.

The problem occurs with the 3 printers I've tried it with: an HP Color Laserjet 4550, an HP Laserjet 5; and an HP 1300.  I wasn't sure how to look up the driver.  The printers are all hooked up to other computers on the peer-to-peer network, but other users don't have trouble printing to them.

This computer has since developed another strange occurence with Filemaker Pro that I've not had time to resolve.  When trying to use the "Open Remote" command,  if the database is in use on its host computer, this computer gets this error "Filemaker cannot share or be a client of a file because the networking stack could not be initialized".  This used to work okay on this machine.  I found this error in some of the Filemaker online discussion & tried new server.pem & root.pem files from a computer that works, but that didn't resolve the  problem.  I also followed the other instructions about the registry keys, but that didn't resolve this problem either.  So, I am still researching that problem, as well.

• 10. Re: FileMaker prints only blank pages.
                            TSGal

Jane Bartlett:

Thank you for the additional information.

Although the initial problem was printing, you also mention that "Open Remote" is also failing from this computer.  The replacement of the server.pem file usually handles the "Open Remote" issue, , so my gut feeling is that there is something else occurring.  I would start by uninstalling FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced.  Remove the FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced folder, and then reinstall FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced so it creates a new folder.

For clarification...  Are you able to print successfully from any other application on that machine?  I'm assuming you can, or you probably would have mentioned it.  If not, then a reinstallation of Windows XP would then be recommended.

Any other information you provide about the differences between the one machine not working and the others that are working may be helpful.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FileMaker prints only blank pages.
                              JaneBartlett

TSGal,

When this computer first started having the printing issues, I did try uninstalling FileMaker Pro 11 & reinstalling.  I did not, however, get rid of the folder so it would have to create a new one.  Doing just the uninstall/reinstall did not resolve the problem.  But, I can try the extra step of deleteing the directory next week (the installable version of Filemaker Pro is not on site, so I will have to wait).

And, yes, many other applications print from that computer.

It's hard to pinpoint differences between this computer with the problem & the other computers on the network, because none of them are really the same.  And, I don't think there have been any configuration changes made that could have started the "Open Remote" problem.  And, the "Open Remote" only fails on this machine when that database is open on the host computer...

Thanks for the help thus far

Jane