13.0v4

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

I am using "FileMaker Donations" application, Version 2.0
      When I try to restore a back up, I get a dialogue box with
      "Cannot find a complete set of backup folders"

Steps to reproduce the problem

I back up usiing the Backup button and get the message backup complete.
      When I use the restore button, I get the above message,

Expected result

My backed up filcs would be restored.

Actual result

When I use the restore button, I get the above message,

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Cannot find a complete set of backup folders

Screenshot.png

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro
          TSGal

Laton Edwards:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro does not have a built-in Donations starter solution.  Can you let me know more about how you obtained this file?

Is the Restore button something you added?  Is the file being hosted with FileMaker Server?  If so, then use the Admin Console to open the restored database.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro
            philmodjunk

You may need to contact the developer that produced this file for assistance as they will be familiar with their design.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro
              LatonEdwards

Any suggestions as to how I would find the developer of this file.

It is a FileMaker Product purchased in 2006.

Shouldn't they have the information I would need?

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro
                philmodjunk

That's like asking Ford for information about changes made by a "customizer" to a vehicle they manufactured.

FileMaker produces a database development tool that others such as the person who produced this database then use to design and distribute a database solution. There's just no way that Filemaker would know what this other developer did with their product in order to produce this database file.

If you can't find any info--such as an "about" screen or "readme" text file that enables you to contact the developer, you may want to post this question again over in the Using FileMaker Pro forum where fellow developers can help you reverse engineer the file's design to discover how to fix this issue.

Note that if you do not have a password that allows you to open the database with full access privileges so as to be able to see and modify the design of the database, it may be difficult to impossible for anyone to help you. But as a start, take a look at your original computer if you can and look for the folders used for these back ups. If you can find them and see where they are located relative to the rest of the database system, you may be able to recreate these folders with identical names and relative location that enables your system to continue working.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Pro
                  TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Laton Edwards contacted me privately.  The Donations file was distributed by FileMaker a few years ago, and there is a manual available online at:

http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/fmapps_donations_ug.pdf

I am unable to locate a copy of this file, so I have asked Laton Edwards to post the script that executes the Restore button.  This should give us a good starting point.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Pro
                    LatonEdwards

I found the script for restoring backup files.  I was able to go to the edit tab and select all.  I went back to the edit tab and clicked on copy.  I came back to this box and attempted to paste, no luck.  A dialogue came up asking me to allow the webpage to access the clipboard on my computer.  My machine is part of the Maine Government net and even though I clicked on allow and a new box came up saying that it was not allowed and I should paste in it, paste did not happen.

I tried several different things to get a copy into this box.  I also could not paste to a word document.  I thought of doing a print to file, but my machine does not have that print option.  However, I could print.  So, I did.  The file that takes up just two screens on my monitor printed out 11 pages of type.  I can't type that much here.

I'll try to take a couple of screen shots and paste them in a new answer.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Pro
                      LatonEdwards

This is the message I get when I try to paste anything into this box.

Because of your browser security settings, the editor is not able to access your clipboard data directly. You are required to paste it again in this window.

Please paste inside the following box using the keyboard (Ctrl/Cmd+V) and hit OK

When I try to paste, nothing happens.

• 8. Re: FileMaker Pro
                        LatonEdwards
                        /files/0721c3a404/Screenshot_2_of_3.png 1440x900
                        • 9. Re: FileMaker Pro
                          LatonEdwards

Page 3 of 3

I hope these help.

• 10. Re: FileMaker Pro
                            TSGal

Laton Edwards:

Thank you for the screen shots.  This does provide a good starting point.

Since the message "Cannot find a complete set of backup files" does not exist in this script, check some of the sub-scripts.  First try "Dialog Alert" in the Language file/table.  Since a parameter is being passed, check the contents of the field zo_Alert_Text::Alert and zo_Alert_Text::No_Backup_Present fields.  This would occur if there was an error unpinning the fmd_bkp_User_Profiles file.  If the file exists, you may want to store the LastError value to a variable, and then display that variable in a Custom Dialog.  That is, after "Open File", insert:

Set Variable [ $error ; Value: Get (LastError) ]

Change the If [Get(LastError)] to If [$error]

Then, on the next line (before Close File), insert Show Custom Dialog [ "Error" ; $error ]

This will help me determine the next steps to take.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FileMaker Pro
                              LatonEdwards

When I printed out the script from FMP, in the space after the "# restore data, where the screen shot shows 20 some odd Import Records lines, the print out shows up to 20 lines under each Import Records line.  The printout totaled 11 pages.

The first line starts with Import Records [ Folder Name: Backup; File Type: Text files  ; Target: "Action_tog"; ... .  There is more, but I wonder if the phrase "Folder Name: Backup;" indicates that the Backup folder should be in the same folder as the program folder for FMP 13?

The Backup folder currently resides in the C drive.

As to performing the instructions you gave, I'm not a programmer and my experience with code is limited to one semester of learning a little about C#, C++, javascript, and HTML.  You don't learn a lot in only one semester with 4 languages.

• 12. Re: FileMaker Pro
                                TSGal

Laton Edwards:

My apologies.  The instructions I gave were general FileMaker Pro script steps.

Try placing the Backup folder in the same folder as Donations and try again.  If this fails, then go into the script, and double-click the first Import Records script step:

Import Records [ No dialog ; Backup ; Text files ; Add ; Mac Roman ]

You can then verify you are accessing the correct Backup folder.  If not, change it so it finds the location of the Backup folder on the C: drive.

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: FileMaker Pro
                                  LatonEdwards

TSGal,

I was looking in my "My Documents" folder and found a "Backup" folder that was empty.

I copied all the backup files from the "Backup" folder on my C: drive and then went to FMP Donations to the Admin section and clicked on Restore Data.  Instead of telling me it couldn't find the backup files, it warned me that it would delete all files and offered me a chance to delete or cancel.  I cancelled, but I suspect that maybe I've found the answer to my problem.

I'm now not sure I want to continue with a restoration.  Certainly, I would backup my current FMP files before I attempted a restore so that the most current files would be restored.

I guess I'm going to keep backing up my files regularly and hope that I never have to restore them.  But, now I am fairly sure that I can restore them if I need to.

Thanks to you and to the other person who tried to help.  Without your constant feedback, I might not have kept looking and found that empty backup folder or if I had I might not have realized what it might be for.

Thanks again,

Laton