FileMaker Pro

davidsan

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.6.6

Description of the issue

Some of the processes I have to make to solve fields cannot be triggered using IWP. I use a server loop to solve them marking a field with a boolean.

Since I do not know how much time it would take the server loop to process the fields I sent, I have a loop in my submit button that keeps asking over and over if the answer was achieved.

This worked perfectly in my FM 9 solution. However, in FM 11 it hangs the IWP.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. Using IWP fill some fields.

2. Have a field which says NotFinished=true. Activated by a button.

3. Have a loop in FM Pro server processing records with NotFinished=True. When it finishes, mark the NotFinished=true as NotFinished=""

4. Once the submit button is hit in an IWP client activate the following script:

Loop
      Refresh Window [Flush cached join results; Flush cached SQL data]
      Allow User Abort [On]
      Exit Loop If [Test::NotFinished=""]
      End Loop

The loop asks repeatedly until it gets the answer. It refreshes the window over and over to know the NotFinished status. It works perfectly in FM 9. In FM 11 it hangs up the IWP server.

Expected result

I would like to expect the same result I had in FM 9. Keep asking with no hangs until the FM Server ends the processing and exit the loop by checking the NotFinished flag.

I would really like a way to send push notifications in IWP to the web client. Since IWP does not have it the loop worked acceptably well in FM 9. Even though, sometimes the loop could be intense in the client machine.

Actual result

It hangs the IWP server.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Nothing. I just have to shut down the IWP server using Activity Monitor and restart FM Pro 11.

Workaround

Currently I am using the following script.

Set Variable[$TopSeconds;Value:5]
      Set Variable[$InitialTime;Value:Get(CurrentTime)]
      Loop
      Exit Loop If [(Get ( Currenttime )-$InitialTime)>$TopSeconds]
      EndLoop

This script is not very convenient since I do not really know how much time the server loop will get the answer. I made and estimate about it, but if it takes longer, the user gets the impression the process did not complete.

I would really like a way to send push notifications in IWP.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro
          TSGal

DavidSan:

Thank you for your post.

Is it possible NotFinished is not blank?  That is, it is a space, or has a return character?  Can you check the Set Field script step to verify?  Try changing the Exit Loop script step to the opposite.

Exit Loop If [ Test::NotFinished ≠ "True" ]

Also, when you activate the button, are you editing the record?  If so,  you will want to commit the record to save the data before entering the loop.

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the issue.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro
            davidsan

TSGal, thank you for your interest.

Is it possible NotFinished is not blank?  That is, it is a space, or has a return character?  Can you check the Set Field script step to verify?  Try changing the Exit Loop script step to the opposite.

Yes, of course, it is possible. However, it does not make any difference at all.

Also, when you activate the button, are you editing the record?  If so,  you will want to commit the record to save the data before entering the loop.

Yes, I make a commit before entering the loop.

I believe FM 11 is optimizing the script steps differently than what FM 9 used to do. Even though I place a commit before entering the loop, FM 11 enters the loop and queues the commit to the end of the script.

My submit button says:

Set field [Test::Professing Report; "Processing Report"]

Commit Records/ Requests [No dialog]

Loop

Refresh window [Flush cached join results; Flush cached SQL data]

Allow User abourt [On]

Exit Loop it [Test>>Processing Report =""]

End Loop

I created a small .fp7 to show the issue.  Is there a mailing address I can send it to?

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro
              TSGal

DavidSan:

>Yes, of course, it is possible.  However, it does not make any difference at all.

If NotFinished is not blank, then the loop would never exit.  That is why I suggested the opposite.  That is, NotFinished ≠ "True".

Please send in your sample file.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
              FileMaker,Inc

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro
                davidsan

Ok! I already sent it.

Thank you

• 5. Re: FileMaker Pro
                  TSGal

DavidSan:

I received your file, and I'm able to replicate the difference between FileMaker Pro 9 and both FileMaker Pro 10 and FileMaker Pro 11.

I have sent the files to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for further review and confirmation.  I will keep you posted as information becomes available to me.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Pro
                    davidsan
                    Thank you, I am looking forward to solving the issue. DavidSan