Question asked by davidsan on Jan 24, 2011
Latest reply on Feb 28, 2011 by davidsan

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.6.6

Description of the issue

Some of the processes I have to make to solve fields cannot be triggered using IWP. I use a server loop to solve them marking a field with a boolean.

Since I do not know how much time it would take the server loop to process the fields I sent, I have a loop in my submit button that keeps asking over and over if the answer was achieved.

This worked perfectly in my FM 9 solution. However, in FM 11 it hangs the IWP.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. Using IWP fill some fields.

2. Have a field which says NotFinished=true. Activated by a button.

3. Have a loop in FM Pro server processing records with NotFinished=True. When it finishes, mark the NotFinished=true as NotFinished=""

4. Once the submit button is hit in an IWP client activate the following script:

Loop
Refresh Window [Flush cached join results; Flush cached SQL data]
Allow User Abort [On]
Exit Loop If [Test::NotFinished=""]
End Loop

The loop asks repeatedly until it gets the answer. It refreshes the window over and over to know the NotFinished status. It works perfectly in FM 9. In FM 11 it hangs up the IWP server.

Expected result

I would like to expect the same result I had in FM 9. Keep asking with no hangs until the FM Server ends the processing and exit the loop by checking the NotFinished flag.

I would really like a way to send push notifications in IWP to the web client. Since IWP does not have it the loop worked acceptably well in FM 9. Even though, sometimes the loop could be intense in the client machine.

Actual result

It hangs the IWP server.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Nothing. I just have to shut down the IWP server using Activity Monitor and restart FM Pro 11.

Workaround

Currently I am using the following script.

Set Variable[$TopSeconds;Value:5]
Set Variable[$InitialTime;Value:Get(CurrentTime)]
Loop
Exit Loop If [(Get ( Currenttime )-$InitialTime)>$TopSeconds]
EndLoop

This script is not very convenient since I do not really know how much time the server loop will get the answer. I made and estimate about it, but if it takes longer, the user gets the impression the process did not complete.

I would really like a way to send push notifications in IWP.

Outcomes