Summary

FileMaker Pro 10 - application fails to initialize when opening file

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows XP Professional version 2002

Description of the issue

When I go to open one of my FileMaker Pro 10 files now, the program starts to initialize and opens for a few brief moments (5 - 10 seconds) then shuts down again. Sometimes it doesn't even open, but freezes on the initialization of the program. This makes my entire computer freeze up and I have to do a forced ending of the program. I don't get any error messages. At first, when I started having problems, it would freeze for a few moments when asked to print a report or make a pdf. But now it's just freezing altogether.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro 10 - application fails to initialize when opening file
          philmodjunk

If you launch fileMaker without attempting to open an existing database file, can you get FileMaker to launch?

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro 10 - application fails to initialize when opening file
            FLewis

Yes, I can get FileMaker to launch by using my desktop shortcut or on the Start menu, but often I have to shut down my computer first and restart, because it often freezes in the middle of the launch. But even after getting it to launch, the database file won't open or freezes in the middle of opening.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro 10 - application fails to initialize when opening file
              philmodjunk

Yes, I can get FileMaker to launch by using my desktop shortcut or on the Start menu, but often I have to shut down my computer first and restart, because it often freezes in the middle of the launch.

I'm trying to determine if the problem lies with your file(s) or with your computer. Need to be very specific here: Does that sentence that I quoted here mean that it sometimes freezes when you try to open FileMaker without opening a database file? If you start up your computer, launch just the application, does it always launch successfully or does it sometimes freeze up on you?

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro 10 - application fails to initialize when opening file
                FLewis

Yes, it sometimes freezes when I try to open it without opening a database file. It freezes on the white square box at the very beginning that says "Initializing". If I launch the application right after TURNING ON the computer, it launches successfully most of the time, but still sometimes fails, but if I try it after just a restart, it seems to fail more often.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Pro 10 - application fails to initialize when opening file
                  philmodjunk

Sounds then like there's an issue with either your computer or your installation of FileMaker.

You might try temporarily removing all but a few basic fonts such as Times new Roman and Arial from your system and see if it affects how files open. (Initializing fonts is a big part of what's going on at the moment it is freezing on you...)

You can also try re-installing FileMaker to see if that helps. Make sure that you uninstall before you re-install...

Have you run a check disk on your system to confirm that the hard drive is healthy?

Note: assuming you get this figured out and can get Filemaker to launch (without opening a file at the same time) consistently, you may find that the many forced quits you've done has damaged one or more of your files. You may need to perform recovers on them to see how they check out.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
                  2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
                  3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.