9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2009 1:44 PM by TSGal

FileMaker Pro 10 - SMTP Email BCC address does not stay blind to recipients.

Tammy

Summary

FileMaker Pro 10 - SMTP Email BCC address does not stay blind to recipients.

Description of the issue

I am using FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced on a mac with Leopard and just implemented a script using the new send mail via smtp.  I have noticed that the BCC addresses are not staying blind.  This script has also been run from a Windows XP computer.  The emails I received both show the BCC addresses.  This database is hosted on FileMaker Server Advanced 9.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro 10 - SMTP Email BCC address does not stay blind to recipients.
          ssmith_1
             FYI -- I just confirmed this, also on XP (SP2)
          • 2. Re: FileMaker Pro 10 - SMTP Email BCC address does not stay blind to recipients.
            TSGal

Tammy and ssmith:

Thank you for your posts.

There is definitely a problem here, and our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments are trying to determine the problem.  This is what they have discovered:

If an email is sent from FileMaker SMTP account to another FileMaker, Gmail and Yahoo account, the BCC list shows at the FileMaker account (I can verify), but the BCC list is empty when received by the Gmail and Yahoo accounts.  If an email is sent from Gmail SMTP, the BCC list shows at the Gmail and Yahoo accounts, but the BCC list is empty when received at the FileMaker account.

There is no additional information at this time.

Any additional information/accounts you discover would be appreciated.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro 10 - SMTP Email BCC address does not stay blind to recipients.
              Tammy
                 Thanks for the acknowledgement.  Here is how I am using this function.  The script runs from FileMaker Pro 10 (file is located on FM Server Advanced 9) and sends email to all addresses across found set.  The addresses are not gmail or yahoo accounts.  They are mostly various university email addresses so I am not sure how they show up for the recipient.  The copies I receive on my computer show the blind.  I just went to three other recipients computers (one XP with Outlook Express, XP with Outlook and one Mac Tiger Mail) and the blind does not show.  The 'From' address was set to the computer with XP with Outlook although the script was run from mine (Leopard).  So it appears that it does not blind the copies sent to the sending computer.  Make sense?
              • 4. Re: FileMaker Pro 10 - SMTP Email BCC address does not stay blind to recipients.
                TSGal

Tammy:

Thanks for the additional information.  If you send to the same SMTP server location as the recipients, I have a feeling that the BCC would show.  If you send to another location that is different from your SMTP server, it sounds like the BCC is not shown.  Can you confirm?  Better yet.... for those messages that display the BCC, do any occur outside your SMTP server?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: FileMaker Pro 10 - SMTP Email BCC address does not stay blind to recipients.
                  Tammy
                     Just ran another test.  BCC does not show going to the other recipients using the same SMTP (they are in the office) however it does show up on the copies that come to my computer.  I have more than one address in Mail and I had it send copies to both.  Bcc shows on both.  However I just ran it and the BCC did show up on a recipient who is working remotely.  She is using Leopard.  Then I ran another test to someone outside the company who is using XP and the Bcc did not show up.  I can't find the consistencies yet.
                  • 6. Re: FileMaker Pro 10 - SMTP Email BCC address does not stay blind to recipients.
                    TSGal

Tammy:

Thanks for helping test this.  I have forwarded this entire thread to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments.  If they have any questions, I'll let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: FileMaker Pro 10 - SMTP Email BCC address does not stay blind to recipients.
                      Tammy

Glad to help.  It is not a huge problem for me but I do hope they find resolution.

Tammy

• 8. Re: FileMaker Pro 10 - SMTP Email BCC address does not stay blind to recipients.
                        help_support

I have experienced this problem as well.  I believe the problem may lie with whether 'bcc' line is in all lower case, all caps, or mixed case.

I recommend Filemaker run a program such as the free 'Packetlyzer' and compare the text SMTP packets, for an e-mail sent to the same server using an e-mail client such as Thunderbird, for which BCC works, to the same log generated when Filemaker attempts to send a message.

When I sent an e-mail using Thunderbird, two successive SMTP commands were issued; one packet with a RCPT TO: header to the e-mail address in the To: line of my e-mail, and another packet with a RCPT TO: with the e-mail address of the BCC line.  The message body was then sent in a single packet (it was short) comprising message ID, date, from, user-agent, MIME-version, to line, subject line, content type, content-transfer-encoding, and lines for each line of the message, all said lines ended with \r\n (carriage return).

When I ran the same test with Filemaker, two RCPT TO: headers were also generated.

However, the BODY of the message when sent via Filemaker, included a Message: Bcc: line.  There were some other differences in the Message: line headers, but they didn't seem significant (content-type, transfer-encoding, etc).

• 9. Re: FileMaker Pro 10 - SMTP Email BCC address does not stay blind to recipients.
                          TSGal

help_support:

Thanks for the Packetlyzer information.  I have included your post with the original case.  Hopefully, Development and Testing find this information helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.