5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2009 2:03 PM by TSGal

Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced dialogs and editing windows fail Accessibility Inspector tests

Ward

Summary

Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced dialogs and editing windows fail Accessibility Inspector tests

Description of the issue

When I reported in the QuicKeys for Mac forum that QuicKeys cannot record FileMaker actions, I was encouraged to use the Mac OS X Accessibililty Inspector to determine whether FileMaker is providing the necessary UI hooks. What I'm finding is FileMaker's dialogs and editing windows have very spotty accessibility support.  For example, here are the scores for the Button Setup dialog: • Accessible: list of script steps, Indicate web compatibility checkbox, Change to hand cursor checkbox, Cancel button, OK button • "Invisible":  both Specify buttons, Rectangular and Rounded radio buttons I'm reporting this generic problem here in the FileMaker "Report a bug" forum because I believe usability/accessibility shortcomings are bugs, not missing features.  Lack of accessibility affects human users as well as automation software like QuicKeys. Since many development teams have a more narrow definition of "bug" (e.g., bug = wrong answer or crash), I'm also filing a feature request for more attention to accessibility. -- Ward 

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced dialogs and editing windows fail Accessibility Inspector tests
          philmodjunk

Hmmm,

"Rectangular and Rounded radio buttons"

I assume you are referring to Check boxes and Radio buttons, never saw a "rectangular" radio button before:smileywink:

Did you limit your testing strictly to the Filemaker dialog boxes or would this also apply to check box and/or radio button formatted fields on a filemaker layout?

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced dialogs and editing windows fail Accessibility Inspector tests
            Ward

PhilModJunk asked "Did you limit your testing strictly to the Filemaker dialog boxes or would this also apply to check box and/or radio button formatted fields on a filemaker layout?"

I've been focusing on FileMaker dialogs because I'm creating QuicKeys shortcuts to perform repetitive development actions like changing text color, normalizing field labels in layouts, and having Command-D mean Duplicate (not Date) in a Manage Database window.  Most recently, I'm creating a couple of QuicKeys shortcuts to simplify applying Script Triggers to the selected item in Layout mode.

I just inspected a couple of my database layouts in Browse mode while running the Accessibility Inspector.  Edit fields, checkboxes, menus, and buttons are not "visible." This could be a problem if I ever wanted to use QuicKeys with a running database.

If you've installed the Developer Tools on Mac OS X, you can do your own testing. The Accessibility Inspector is located in the /Developer/Applications/Utilities/Accessibility Tools folder.

-- Ward 

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced dialogs and editing windows fail Accessibility Inspector tests
              TSGal

Ward:

Thank you for your post.

A "bug" in FileMaker Pro can be defined as something not working as intended. Obviously, that definition is open to interpretation.

Do the lack of "necessary UI hooks" into QuicKeys qualify it as FileMaker Pro not working as intended?  I have been told that this is viewed internally more as a design limitation rather than a "bug".  Therefore, please be sure to enter this information into our Feature Suggestion web form (if you haven't done so already) at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/feature_request.html

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced dialogs and editing windows fail Accessibility Inspector tests
                Ward

TSGal wrote in part:

-------------

A "bug" in FileMaker Pro can be defined as something not working as intended. Obviously, that definition is open to interpretation.

Do the lack of "necessary UI hooks" into QuicKeys qualify it as FileMaker Pro not working as intended?  I have been told that this is viewed internally more as a design limitation rather than a "bug".  Therefore, please be sure to enter this information into our Feature Suggestion web form (if you haven't done so already)

-------------

As I mentioned in my original note, "Lack of accessibility affects human users as well as automation software like QuicKeys."  That's why Mac OS X offers the "Enable access for assistive devices" option in System Preferences > Universal Access and gives application developers the Accessibility Inspector tool to test their applications.

A fortunate side-effect of an accessible UI is the ability of applications like QuicKeys to assist users.

I use QuicKeys to fine-tune the user experience of literally dozens of applications.  The two applications that present the most challenge are FileMaker and QuicKeys.  In the latter case, QuicKeys sometimes gets confused trying to automate itself.

Immediately after opening this topic, I submitted a formal Product Problem Report at http://www.filemaker.com/company/problems.html, linking to this topic and pasting in my initial post.

For good measure, I'll now submit a formal Feature Suggestion at http://www.filemaker.com/company/feature_request.html.

-- Ward

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced dialogs and editing windows fail Accessibility Inspector tests
                  TSGal

Ward:

Thanks for posting it in both places.  It will definitely get the right attention either way.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.