AnsweredAssumed Answered

Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced dialogs and editing windows fail Accessibility Inspector tests

Question asked by Ward on Aug 17, 2009
Latest reply on Aug 18, 2009 by TSGal

Summary

Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced dialogs and editing windows fail Accessibility Inspector tests

Description of the issue

When I reported in the QuicKeys for Mac forum that QuicKeys cannot record FileMaker actions, I was encouraged to use the Mac OS X Accessibililty Inspector to determine whether FileMaker is providing the necessary UI hooks. What I'm finding is FileMaker's dialogs and editing windows have very spotty accessibility support.  For example, here are the scores for the Button Setup dialog: • Accessible: list of script steps, Indicate web compatibility checkbox, Change to hand cursor checkbox, Cancel button, OK button • "Invisible":  both Specify buttons, Rectangular and Rounded radio buttons I'm reporting this generic problem here in the FileMaker "Report a bug" forum because I believe usability/accessibility shortcomings are bugs, not missing features.  Lack of accessibility affects human users as well as automation software like QuicKeys. Since many development teams have a more narrow definition of "bug" (e.g., bug = wrong answer or crash), I'm also filing a feature request for more attention to accessibility. -- Ward 

Outcomes