1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2011 11:32 AM by TSGal

FileMaker Pro 10 compatibility with Internet Explorer 8

suzieeee

Summary

FileMaker Pro 10 compatibility with Internet Explorer 8

Description of the issue

Hi There,   Internet Explorer 8 has recently been made available and we are finding that clients who have downloaded and installed Internet Explorer 8 on their machines, layouts and screens in FileMaker Pro 10 no longer display properly. We have been advising clients they need to roll back to Internet Explorer 7 to correct the issue. But I wanted to know whether you were intending to release an update soon that will allow FileMaker 10 to work with Windows Explorer 8? Thankssuzieeee 

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro 10 compatibility with Internet Explorer 8
          TSGal

suzieeee:

Thank you for your post.

Yes, a number of problems have been reported with Internet Explorer 8.  It would help us if you can let us know what problems you (or your clients) are running into, so that I can make sure our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments are aware of them.

I don't know how serious the problems are, so I cannot determine if an update is coming soon.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro 10 compatibility with Internet Explorer 8
            suzieeee

Hi TSGal,

The issue is that images and objects on layouts are not rendering properly on the screen in browse mode. For example, a simple object such as a blue box shows on screen as only half the box and with alot of pixels missing on the half of the object that is displayed. This is happening on all objects in a layout and also text. These viewing issues seem to happen as you move from layout to layout in browse mode.

Though it has been found that if you are viewing a layout on the screen, if you minimize all windows for all applications you have running on your machine and then maximize the FileMaker window again, the layout previews correctly. But then if you move to another layout you have to minimize all windows and restore them again to view the layout properly.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Suzieeee 

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro 10 compatibility with Internet Explorer 8
              TSGal

suzieeee:

I just downloaded Internet Explorer 8 to my Windows XP machine.

I have used several of the Template files (Contact Management, Task Management, Faculty Staff) and accessed each of them via Instant Web Publishing using Internet Explorer 8.  No rendering problems on the screen.  I created some additional graphics (box with blue fill, red fill, etc.) and each object displays properly in Instant Web Publishing.

I could not find a version of Internet Explorer for Mac OS X, so I was unable to try it on my Mac.  If you are using a Mac, please let me know where to download and I'll try to duplicate the problem on my Mac.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro 10 compatibility with Internet Explorer 8
                philmodjunk

I had some issues on Windows XP after upgrading to IE 8. I had also recently downloaded LiveChat and it may have been the culprit. I could only open a small number of dialogs/windows and then the OS refused to open any more. The windows/dialogs could be in filemaker, and MS office app or IE 8. I could quit an application or close several windows and then suddenly I could open a few more windows. It was quite strange.

After rolling things back to IE7, uninstalling LiveChat and re-installing Filemaker, things returned to normal.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Pro 10 compatibility with Internet Explorer 8
                  davetosh

We are also experiencing this problem with the latest version of FileMaker Pro 10.

Images are not displaying correctly, they are semi-rendering, but displaying badly with bits pixelated or missing. If you minimise all the screens then maximise them again, this refreshes the FileMaker application (in our case StreamTime), but as soon as you click on a link to do something else (i.e. you load the next page) it has the same rendering problem.

I think it’s definitely an IE8 issue as my colleague just upgraded IE7 to IE8 and his StreamTime (running on FileMaker Pro 10) now displays badly, with half rendered images.

We are using IE 8.0 as we are web developers, so cant uninstall it.

Is there a way of making FileMaker Pro 10 use another browser for the HTML rendering engine, i.e. Mozilla?

Thanks,

Dave

• 6. Re: FileMaker Pro 10 compatibility with Internet Explorer 8
                    TSGal

Dave:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro 10 uses Internet Explorer API on Windows to render HTML web pages.  At this time, there is no way to change this.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: FileMaker Pro 10 compatibility with Internet Explorer 8
                      David_Fidelity

Hello,

I am also trying to test compatability with Internet explorer 8 and would like to know if any updates have been made to Filemaker Pro 10 or even 11 that would be able to address this issue.  I would like to know what to expect before I start testing this.

Thanks,

Dave

• 8. Re: FileMaker Pro 10 compatibility with Internet Explorer 8
                        philmodjunk

Since making the earlier posts, I fixed my issues by re-installing filemaker 10. I have since upgraded to IE 8 and have been using it with filemaker 10 and 11 on a WIndows XP SP3 system with all system updates with no trouble.

• 9. Re: FileMaker Pro 10 compatibility with Internet Explorer 8
                          Hammerton

My problem is specifically with an "open URL" script. It works on every browser and every platform except for internet explorer. Clicking on the button opens a new page that is blank. Oddly, when viewing the page source, the html is all there and perfectly correct, but the browser is not rendering it. I turned off pop-up blockers and enabled every damn thing that could be enabled and no luck. 

Anyone encounter or preferably solve this?

• 10. Re: FileMaker Pro 10 compatibility with Internet Explorer 8
                            philmodjunk

I use Open URL with one of my databases and have had no trouble with it opening the browser to the desired site using Internet Explorer 8.

• 11. Re: FileMaker Pro 10 compatibility with Internet Explorer 8
                              Hammerton

The specific context of the problem is a database accessed through IWP, using IE as the browser. An open url script button on a layout will not lead to the desired pdf file when IE is used to access the database through IWP. When the database is accessed, via IWP, with any other browser - firefox, safari, chrome - it works fine. 

• 12. Re: FileMaker Pro 10 compatibility with Internet Explorer 8
                                TSGal

James Hamilton:

Thank you for your posts.

Another customer (not from the Forum) reported similar symptoms using Internet Explorer 7 back in 2008.  Like you, the person had Pop-up blocker disabled.  The customer eventually restored all the default settings and preferences, and the issue went away.  The Support Technician was unable to determine which setting(s) caused the issue.  Since neither myself nor "PhilModJunk" are able to replicate the problem with Internet Explorer 8 (for me, version 8.0.6001.18702 with Windows XP SP3), I would suggest resetting the default settings, and if that doesn't work, see if the issue also occurs on another machine (if available).

Keep us posted with any progress.

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: FileMaker Pro 10 compatibility with Internet Explorer 8
                                  philmodjunk

I tested this directly from FileMaker, not from IE8 accessing an IWP system with an Open URL button in it's layout. That might be a factor here.

• 14. Re: FileMaker Pro 10 compatibility with Internet Explorer 8
                                    philmodjunk

James, kindly sent me the link to his web site. When I use IE8 to click the Open URL link, I also get an empty window--meaning that the PDF did not successfully open.

1 2 Previous Next