3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2009 8:45 AM by TSGal

Filemaker Pro 10 Trial won't Launch

barksdale

Summary

Filemaker Pro 10 Trial won't Launch

Description of the issue

forgive me if this has issue has been addressed elsewhere, i figured since i called FMP tech support and stymied the tech guy, chances were this problem might be unusual, and therefore someone out in the ether might have an interesting idea... i downloaded the Free Trial Demo of FMP 10, and tried running it on my Mac OS X 10.4.11 (dual 2 GHz, PowerPC G5, 4 GB RAM) download was successful, the installation process appeared successful but when i double-clicked the program icon, it appears to half-boot or crash invisibly... all i'm left with is the Filemaker Pro menu item but NOTHING else (no file, edit, etc) and NO prompts to TRY or BUY which is the very first screen that should pop up upon launchthe program won't let me quit, and i have to FORCE QUIT it each time i attempt to launch it  curiously, i tried downloading the exact same file on my wife's laptop, which is also 10.4.11 (but an Intel-based Macbook Pro) and the install went through same as mine, and LAUNCHED successfully---so it was nothing strange that i was doing inadvertently, in other words i did exactly as i would normally do.but on her computer, it actually does as it's supposed to: initial prompt, menu items across the top of the page... "it works."  the tech [who was very kind and helpful] had me repair permissions on my hard drive (which i'd actually done recently), that didn't solve itthen he had me create a new admin, logout and sign in as the new user, and that didn't work at that point he was literally at a loss, mostly because it wasn't getting far enough to generate any type of error log (or something) that he could use to diagnose further  any ideas?anything i might try shy of a re-install of my OS X which i'd just as soon not do?  thanks in advance for any insight 

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 10 Trial won't Launch
          CURRILANDIA

Hi, I am having the same problem and it is not a trial version. My installation was successful but once I try to open the application, it quits inmediately. It is also happening to my Filemaker 9.0 version but not my Filemaker 8.5 nor 6.0.

When I go to the crash report on my console (application/utilities/console), it says the following:

"dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libiodbc.2.dylib
            Referenced from: /Applications/FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/DBEngine.framework/Versions/A/DBEngine
            Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
              /usr/lib/libiodbc.2.dylib: mach-o, but wrong architecture
              /usr/lib/libiodbc.2.dylib: mach-o, but wrong architecture
          Jun 16 09:18:38 maria-mezas-computer crashdump[291]: FileMaker Pro crashed"

HELP!!! HELP!!! 

Thanks! Maria

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 10 Trial won't Launch
            TSGal

barksdale:

Thank you for your post.

Since this worked fine on your wife's laptop, we need to determine what is the difference.

First, temporarily turn off all startup items.  We have seen some problems launching FileMaker when iChat and/or some virus detection software are running.  Reboot the machine and try launching FileMaker Pro again.

Next, a preference file may be causing the problem.  Remove the following file:

User Account Home -> Library -> Preferences -> com.filemaker.pro.plist

When FileMaker launches, it reads the information from this file, and if corrupt, anything can happen.  If FileMaker Pro doesn't find this file, a new one is created.  Try launching FileMaker Pro again.

When your wife installed FileMaker Pro, did she use the same download?  Or, did she download a new copy?  If the latter, either copy the file your wife downloaded, or try downloading again, as it is possible something went wrong with the download and/or installation the first time.  Install again and try launching FileMaker Pro again.

At this point, I cannot think of anything else.  Short of reinstalling the OS, try to determine the differences between your computer and your wife's computer.

Please let me know if you find a resolution.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 10 Trial won't Launch
              TSGal

CURRILANDIA:

Thank you for your post.

There are different system requirements for each version of FileMaker Pro.  Can you tell me more about your system?  That is, type of computer, OS running, version of OS, memory, hard disk space, etc.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.