9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2010 1:34 PM by RobFisher

Filemaker Pro 10 v3 and Windows 7 Communications error

shailasg

Summary

Filemaker Pro 10 v3 and Windows 7 Communications error

Description of the issue

When you open the database remotelty which is running under Filemaker Server 10, using a Windows 7 machine after a while if you just leave the connection idle, you get a message saying that a Communications error has occured and con to reconnect.The same type of connection on an XP Machine has no problem at all.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 10 v3 and Windows 7 Communications error
          TSGal

Filemaker 10:

Thank you for your post.

Can you tell me anything more about your network?  Could it be disconnecting afer some time.  If you physically switch the XP machine with the Windows 7 machine, do you get the same error?

Do you have any plug-ins installed?  if so, what are they?

Are you running any custom menus?

Are all machines accessing the hosted files via FileMaker Pro?  Or, are some clients accessing via Instant Web Publishing?  Custom Web Publishing?  ODBC?

Anything else you can tell me to try and replicate the problem would be appreciated.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 10 v3 and Windows 7 Communications error
            shailasg

think it will be easier if you can give me a call at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

The network is the Citibank network and the XP and windows machine are really in my office.

No custom menus. The client is just haveopen the same file with the same screen that just sits there.

The database is hosted by the server with all the default settings.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 10 v3 and Windows 7 Communications error
              TSGal

Filemaker 10:

I don't have access to a telephone.  If you need immediate support, you can contact our Technical Support department at toll-free 800-325-2747.

I have also sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - envelope icon just beneath the blue horizontal bar) with the reason I blanked out your telephone number.

Let me know if you can provide any other information  to help narrow down the network issues.  Others may have run into something similar.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 10 v3 and Windows 7 Communications error
                shailasg

As far as I go I am trying to help. This seems to me either a windows 7 or FileMaker 10 issue under Windows 7 that needs to be resolved by Filemaker or by Microsoft via Filemaker. It is really your problem. You do not want to fix it, it is fine with me.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 10 v3 and Windows 7 Communications error
                  5104919325FTN

Odd answer ;-)

I'm glad to hear, Citibank works with Windows XP.

Now, Citibank should have a System Administrator somewhere in the Office.

What does the good man says about Windows7, its "special" way of handling networks (regarding the old XP), idle time and firewall, etc?

I presume, this is your new notebook*, in this case, it is possible**, that you network connection will be different from the one of your XP-desktop***.

* From a bank, i expect, that a new desktop pc would be set up from a competent system administrator, which would have been testing its ability for all programms used by the company before you work on it

** From a bank, I would go so far, to expect, that it is absolutely not possible to access their network with a private notebook

*** And if someone switches the LAN-wire, i expect, the connection will be cut off, for evident simple security reason.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Pro 10 v3 and Windows 7 Communications error
                    TSGal

Filemaker 10:

I'm not sure what prompted that response, but I can't fix a problem if I don't have enough information.

At this time, no problem has been logged with network disconnects with Windows 7.

We have Windows 7 machines in our Technical Support department that I can use.  One of our Support Technicians with a Windows 7 machine, at my request, is running FileMaker Pro 10 and connected to one of the files hosted on the network for the day.  I will check with him throughout the day to see if he receives any disconnect messages.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Filemaker Pro 10 v3 and Windows 7 Communications error
                      shailasg

My Environment is as follows:

FileMaker Adv Server v2 running on a Windows Advance 2003 Server

FileMaker Pro v3 running on Windows XP SP3 - No connection failure

FileMaker Pro v3 running off a Windows 7 if is left idle for a while - Gets the following error:

"Communication with the host was interrupted and could not be re-established. All affected windows will be closed"

• 8. Re: Filemaker Pro 10 v3 and Windows 7 Communications error
                        5104919325FTN

"Communication with the host was interrupted and could not be re-established. All affected windows will be closed"

This message I know from a broken VPN and/or from a W-LAN connection.

Do you use VPN?

Do you use your LAN, wired (RJ45) or your W-Lan?

• 9. Re: Filemaker Pro 10 v3 and Windows 7 Communications error
                          RobFisher

Sounds like the network might have 802.1x enabled, and the connection gets dropped by the switch, because the Windows 7 box isn't authenticating?