Summary

FileMaker Pro 11 (Mac) memory leak when printing large batch jobs

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.6.8

Description of the issue

When printing multiple jobs, the memory footprint of FileMaker pro grows until the program slows to an unusable speed. The memory of FileMaker on startup and accessing record is around 117MB. After printing the page (File -> Print -> OK) the memory usage jumps to around 139MB. Memory load increases by about 10MB per repeat of printing a page. This happens until the FileMaker uses around 1/4 of the system memory and the CPU usage sits at 100% making it slow and unusable.

Have encountered the same problem with FileMaker 11 on Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8 (though to a lesser degree on 10.8). The problem does not happen on FileMaker 10 or 9. The problem happen on FileMaker Server hosted databases and local database files at the same rate. Tested on different databases and same problem too.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Go to a record, File -> Print -> OK. Repeat until FMP becomes unusable.

Expected result

Can keep using FileMaker after 20 printouts

Actual result

Becomes slow and freezes (beachballs) after every action to the point where it takes > 1 minute to click between records.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Non, just high CPU usage and high memory use.

Configuration information

Can only test on FujiXerox Printers (as that is all we have in the office). Used a wide range of drivers and versions. Apple FujiXerox drivers, and manufacturer drivers. Not differences. Different Mac OS X installs have same problem. However different versions of FileMaker pro do not.

Workaround

Close the program or restart the computer.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro 11 (Mac) memory leak when printing large batch jobs
          philmodjunk

You might also test this with Save As PDF in place of print. That exercises much of the same code as Printing but since it does not send print jobs to your Fuji printer driver, that may reveal useful details and may show whether or not a different printer or printer driver version would have the same issue.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro 11 (Mac) memory leak when printing large batch jobs
            StevenDaniel

Thank you for the suggestion PhilModJunk. I tested exporting to PDF today and there was no increase in memory usage or high CPU usage that I have when using FujiXerox printers. I also managed to test the printing on an Oki C5800 printer and also there were no memory problems ther either. The problem seems to be with these printers by FujiXerox. We have 3 wildly different FujiXerox printers of different ages and models so I did not think it was becasue of the printers. Also the problem still does not happen on older versions of FileMaker with the same drivers. I normally use Apple distributed FujiXerox Drivers but I tried manufacturer's latest drivers. Still had the same problems though. I tried printing with different applications and it's only FileMaker 11 (so far) with this problem.

Since the high memory usage (which imitates a memory leak) is in FileMaker 11, could the problem reside there despite only happening with these brand of printers? Thank you for you help.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro 11 (Mac) memory leak when printing large batch jobs
              philmodjunk

The fact that Save as PDF and printing to the Okidata printer does not show this behavior is a pretty strong indicator that there is a printer driver specific issue, but there is no way to tell for sure. One long shot to try is to visit the fuji web site and look for any updated printer drivers to download and see if it creates an issue.

And yes, it is entirely possible for one version of FileMaker to have an issue with a specific printer driver and not others.