Filemaker Pro 11 crashes when I export records to Excel

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Filemaker Pro 11.0v3

Operating system version

Vista

Description of the issue

Filemaker Pro 11 sometimes crashes when I export records to Excel .xls or Excel 2007 .xlsx
      (Filemaker 10 sometimes did it, too)

Steps to reproduce the problem

find records
      file - Export records
      Save as : Excel workbooks (*.xls)or (*.xlsx)
      Export dialog box appears
      perform export
      CRASH

Expected result

create .xls or .xlsx file, then open

Actual result

Filemaker 11 crashes
      When I re-launch Filemaker, have to do consistency checks

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

no error message, it just crashes

Configuration information

none

Workaround

There is no screenshot - it instantly crashes and no chance to do a screenshot.

Workaround: Go into preview and save as Excel, but I have to do a new layout with just the fields that I want.
      But, I should be able to Export.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 crashes when I export records to Excel
          philmodjunk

Has all of this occurred with just one file or have you tried creating a simple file with just a few fields and tried exporting from it into Excel format?

This test will give us some clues as to whether your problem lies with the File or with some other source, such as the FileMaker application or your computer.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 crashes when I export records to Excel
            DanielEddy

Using a simpler, smaller file with fewer record, it crashed today when I tried to export to tab delimited, .tab. When bringing Filemaker Pro 11 back up, it "stopped working" when it could not do a consistency check on one of the regular files. It took me four attempts over a period of an hour, to get Filemaker Pro 11 working properly again. Now, I'm afraid to export, but I do need to. I'll close all the files except for the one that I'm exporting from.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 crashes when I export records to Excel
              philmodjunk

When bringing Filemaker Pro 11 back up, it "stopped working" when it could not do a consistency check on one of the regular files.

For future reference, it's a good idea not to run tests like this with other files and/or applications open on the same computer. Since you know you may trigger a crash, don't risk that crash damaging another file by having it open at the same time.

I think, in your shoes, I'd run several test first to rule out other issues.

Even though the smaller sample file also crashed, Do a recover on your file to see if any issues are reported.

Use check Disk or some other such disk utility to check your drive for issues.

If you are exporting to a shared folder, repeat these tests by exporting to your local hard drive from a file located on the same computer. If that works without issue, have a tech check your network over for issues.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 crashes when I export records to Excel
                DanielEddy

We reinstalled Filemaker Pro 11.0v3. For today's "test," I had only one file open and was able to have all the data for all the records present, even without related files being open. I tried exporting to .xls, .xlsx and .tab. It crashed (Filemaker Pro Advanced has stopped working). I did a recover on the file, even though it didn't need it (it was not damaged). No errors were found. I don't know what to do -- I need this export and cannot do it. This is not a test--a client needs this. Neither the file nor the folder are shared.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 crashes when I export records to Excel
                  DanielEddy

I can make a new layout (which I did), go into preview and save as Excel, but it's just not as good.  That gets the info to my client, but doesn't fix the problem.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 crashes when I export records to Excel
                    user15307

Another support technician here did the following:

FileMaker Pro 11.0v3 installed on a Dell Optiplex 740 with 2GB RAM, running Windows Vista Business
                    Created a new database file, four fields, with five records.
                    Performed a Find with four records in the found set.
                    Exported to both .xlsx and .xls file types successfully.

Since we are unable to replicate the issue you are having with a configuration similar to yours, perhaps the next best step would be to test your solution on a different machine.

Please post if you discover additional information.

TSTuatara
                    FileMaker, Inc.