Filemaker Pro 11 Send Mail Script Error

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v4

Operating system version

OS X 10.6.8

Description of the issue

I have a database that I use to send Emails from that has worked fine for years through various versions, but now it suddenly gives me an error message when I try to launch an email using Mac Mail.  The message I get is: "Some of the files that are needed are either damaged or have not been installed. Please run the installer to correct this problem."

Filemaker's Answer ID: 7166 says:

When experiencing this issue, it has primarily been related to a damaged or corrupted FlexNet activation service file. To correct this issue, close out of FileMaker Pro 9/FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced and remove the following path depending on which platform you are using:

Windows: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher
      Mac OS: HD:Library:Application Support:FLEXnet Publisher:Service:11.03.005:FNPLicensingService

However, THERE IS NO SUCH FOLDER OR FILE ANYWHERE ON MY COMPUTER!!!

Steps to reproduce the problem

I have tried re-installing Filemaker twice, the operating system once, then re-tried installing Filemaker again, and I keep getting the same message.  I have others in my office running the same operating system and FM Pro version that it is NOT happening to.

Expected result

Expected Mail to launch with record information in proper fields.

Actual result

Same error message keeps coming up!

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

"Some of the files that are needed are either damaged or have not been installed. Please run the installer to correct this problem."

Configuration information

This DOES NOT HAPPEN on anyone else's machine, even those with the same version of Filemaker and operating system. 

I am the ONLY person with SMTPit installed on my computer.

I don't have a problem sending using SMTPit.  Only when using the Send Mail script using the Mail client.

Workaround

NONE!!!

Screen_shot_2012-03-12_at_1.50.18_PM.png

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 Send Mail Script Error
          TSGal

Debra Clinton:

Thank you for your post.

Knowledge Base Article #7166 is strictly for FileMaker Pro 9; not any other version.

I see that you have reinstalled FileMaker Pro "twice", so let's go to some basics.

1. Pull down the File menu and select "Send -> Mail..."

2. In the Send Mail dialog box, make sure it is set to "E-mail Client".  In the To field, enter your email address, enter "TEST" for Subject and Message and click OK.  Does this work?

3. Assuming this works, create a new script with a Send Mail script step, and use the same criteria in step #2.  Run the script.  Does this work?

4. Modify the script step to include some of the variables in your original Send Script step.  Each time, run the script to see if it works.

5. Finally, replace your original Send Mail script step to Perform Script that executes the new script step.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 Send Mail Script Error
            DebraClinton

Thanks for your reply!  I knew that the article was for Filemaker Pro 9 but there was NOTHING else on the site that even mentions the Send Mail problem.  There is another article talking about Excel that suggests re-installing Rosetta, so I did that too, just in case, but it made no difference.  So I decided to re-install the entire operating system, and unfortunately, that still didn't work.

I had already tried the suggestion of using the File menu to select Send > Mail but it gives me the same Error message "Some of the files needed are damaged..."

This is the same message I get every time.  I can't understand how I can have completely re-installed the entire operating system, application and extensions from scratch, and still get the same problem!  Especially since other machines with the same setup are working fine!

Any other ideas?  I really appreciate any suggestions because I can't think of anything else!  Thanks!

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 Send Mail Script Error
              TSGal

Debra Clinton:

Thanks for the additional information.

Launch Mail, pull down the Mail menu and select "Preferences".  First click on the "General" icon, and make sure the Default email reader is set to Mail (5.x).  Then, click on the Accounts icon, select the active account and make sure everything is set up properly under Account Information, Mailbox behaviors and Advanced.  Compare this setup to the accounts on the other computers that are working properly.  Quit and relaunch Mail.  Create a new message (in Mail) and send it to yourself.  If that works, then launch FileMaker Pro, pull down the File menu and select Send -> Mail again.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 Send Mail Script Error
                DebraClinton

TSGal, You are MY HERO!!!

IT WAS THE MAIL PREFERENCES!

My Email Preferences had been changed to use Google Chrome instead of Mail, which I think happened when Google Chrome was updated.  I don't remember being asked to change my default mail program, but it must have happened at some point.  I just never thought to check it since it's been set to use Mail for years.

I can't thank you enough for your help with this - everything is working just beautifully now!

Have a great evening,

Debra

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 Send Mail Script Error
                  Streamtime_1

thank you both for posting this. i've spent 2 days trying to crack it and finally did with the help of you post.

wish i could bill google for my time! :)

cheers, Michael.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 Send Mail Script Error
                    DebraClinton

ROFLMAO!  Thanks, TSGal, it happened to me again, and you saved me AGAIN!  LOL

• 7. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 Send Mail Script Error
                      stevent

So, if I'm correct; Filemaker will only work with Apple Mail? You can't have an other mail app set as your standard mailclient? I use Postbox as my mail app and get these errors too (Filemaker Pro advanced 13) 

• 8. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 Send Mail Script Error
                        TSGal

stevent:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro will Send Mail using either Apple Mail or Microsoft Outlook.  The default mail application is determined by the Preferences in the application.  For instance, if you launch Apple Mail, pull down the Mail menu and select Preferences.  After clicking the upper right "General" tab, the first option is "Default email reader", where you can then set it for Mail or Outlook.

For more information, see Send Mail on page 1158 of FileMaker Pro 13 Help at:

http://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/13/en/fmp13_help.pdf

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.