Filemaker Pro 11 won't print any layout on specific file

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

110 v 4

Operating system version

Mac Lion

Description of the issue

Printing using Brother HL 2240. Also tried 2 other printers. Another file printed fine.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Preview on layouts show correct print expected

Expected result

Print output

Actual result

Prints blank page Or if PDF printed, also blank page.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error

Configuration information

Previously this file printed OK

Workaround

None

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 won't print any layout on specific file
          philmodjunk

SInce other files print successfully, (FileMaker files I assume?), you need to consider whether there is an issue with the file itself.

First, if you have not already tried this, try printing by selecting Print from the File menu instead of running a script to print. If you can print from the file menu, something has gone wrong with the script.

If Printing from the File menu does not work, try running a recover on the file and test the recovered copy even if the recover process does not report finding/fixing any problems.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          3.           Recover does not detect all problems
          5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 won't print any layout on specific file

Recover worked !!! It found no corrupt data, but when I tested it it worked fine. Thanks very much.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 won't print any layout on specific file
              RickWhitelaw

Conrad,

you might want to re-read #4 in Phil's post again.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 won't print any layout on specific file
                philmodjunk

If you do not have a good backup copy to revert to, I recommend doing a new recover of the file using advanced recover options and selecting the "copy file blocks as is" and "delete cached settings". If that copy works, it should be safer to use than a file produced by a "Full Up", recover. You can also try those settings, but include the option to rebuild field indexes.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 11 won't print any layout on specific file

I did have a good copy, so I transferred the data to it. Thanks for your help.