Filemaker Pro 11.0V2 Locks up on Lauch

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0V2

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.6.4

Description of the issue

Filemaker locks up when launched.  Splash page appears and never goes away.  End up having to force quit (Force Quit shows the app as not responding).

Issue seems to have started when I attempted to try web publishing.

Problem occurs when just launching the app, not when opening a specific database.

Haw restored the application from Time Machine, works for a while and then starts crashing again.

I usually am working with a specific database that I built for a home app.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Launch Filemaker

Expected result

Splash page should have displayed, and then gone away and the file open dialog should have been displayed.

Actual result

Splash page displayed and stayed that way.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

N/A

Workaround

Force Quit.  Restore Application from Time Machine.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0V2 Locks up on Lauch
          TSGal

John Holcomb:

Thank you for your post.

It's difficult to determine the cause based on what you said, but there are a couple of things I would like to test...

First, you mention that you are usually "working with a specific database".  In case the database file is causing this problem, I'd like to attempt a Recover.  That is, once you are able to launch FileMaker Pro, pull down the File menu and select Recover.  Select the file that may be causing the problem.  FileMaker Pro will then create a new file and attempt to clean up any discrepancies within the file.  When finished, open the Recovered file, and see if you are able to make FileMaker Pro crash.

Next, create a new user account.  Log in to that user account and launch FileMaker Pro.  This creates a new Preferences file for the current user.  Does this launch successfully?  If so, then remove the Preferences file from your original user account.  This can be found at:

User Account -> Library -> Preferences -> com.filemaker.*

(I have several versions of FileMaker Pro on my machine, that I'm unsure of the exact filename).

Launch FileMaker again, and a new Preferences file will be created.  Does this work?

If this also fails, then run Disk Utility, select the hard disk, and click "Repair disk permissions".  You can find Disk Utility at:

Hard Disk -> Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0V2 Locks up on Lauch
            philmodjunk

From the initial post, this is occurring on a Snow Leopard system. Perhaps there's a font issue involved. That could be with a font used in one file and not in another so this could show as file specific even though the file is not damaged.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0V2 Locks up on Lauch
              JohnHolcomb

PhilModJunk,

Any recommendations on how to chase down a font issue?

John

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0V2 Locks up on Lauch
                philmodjunk

I'm not a Mac user at the moment so I'm only reporting from what I've seen in this forum. You might check out Apple's support site and search under Snow Leopard and Font to see what you can pull up.