Filemaker Pro 11.0v3 unexpectedly quits and I lose data

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v3

Operating system version

OS 10.6.6

Description of the issue

Filemaker unexpectedly quits and I lose data at random times when I begin a new record. This happens several times a day as I try to input billing records. I  talked to a Filemaker support person on the phone (case id 110316-000177). He helped me check permissions which were definitely set up incorrectly, probably from installing Parallels on my Mac. We changed those and I was confident that would correct the problem, but it did not.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I can't reproduce it at will, but it always seems to happen when I start a new record. Sometimes it will happen one right after the other and sometimes I can get a pretty long run of up to 50 records before it happens. But then I always lose data.

Expected result

I talked to a Filemaker support person on the phone (case id 110316-000177). He helped me check permissions which were definitely set up incorrectly, probably from installing Parallels on my Mac. We changed those and I was confident that would correct the problem, but it did not.

Actual result

Problem continues.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

"FileMaker Pro quit unexpectedly. Click Reopen to open the application again. this report will be sent to Apple automatically."

Workaround

None that I can figure out. I have to "click off" each record to "hard save" it so that when it does quit, I won't lose that much information. But this really slows me down.

Filemaker_crash_3_3%3A16%3A11.png

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0v3 unexpectedly quits and I lose data
          philmodjunk

Your earlier crashes may have damaged your file so that it continues to crash.

Basic diagnostic tests to perform when you get frequent crashes:

Does the crash only occur with a specific file?

Test by creating a small sample file and see if opening it and working with it also generates a crash. If it crashes too, the problem likely lies with the computer or it's installation of FileMaker. If it does not crash, it becomes more likely that there is a problem with the file.

What is reported when you recover the file?

The file could be damaged.

1. Things to keep in mind about Recover:
          2. Recover does not detect all problems
          3. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          4. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

Does it always crash when you are doing the same thing with your file?

That may point to a specific layout, script, operation that interacts with your Operating system or other applications...

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0v3 unexpectedly quits and I lose data
            RobinRieke

Thanks for the suggestions. I have already created an entirely new file and imported the data back into it. That file crashes in the same way. It always crashes when I type "Command N" to start a new record. I'm using OS 10.6.6 and Filemaker 11.0v3.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0v3 unexpectedly quits and I lose data
              philmodjunk

Do you get crashes if you create a small file and then create new records in it without importing the data from the original file?

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0v3 unexpectedly quits and I lose data
                RobinRieke

If you think that test will give us important information, I'll try it when I get some time, hopefully yet today. Robin

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0v3 unexpectedly quits and I lose data
                  philmodjunk

It rules out the possibility that the data import imported something that's affecting the stability of your file. That could be a very useful clue here though usually, importing data into a FileMaker file won't create such a problem as indexes for them get rebuilt from scratch during the import. If, however, you saved a clone of your file or used a back up copy to import the data, the corruption may have been present in the copy before the import.

Either way, this test can help rule out those possibilities here.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0v3 unexpectedly quits and I lose data
                    RobinRieke

No, I did not use a clone or a backup file because I wanted to rule out a problem from an old file. So it was an entirely new file. I got a FileMaker tech support person to come in to my office to create the new file and import the data to make sure I didn't do something wrong. We thought that would take care of the problem but it didn't. I've done a complete hardware check on my iMac which comes up with no problems. So I'm mystified. I only use one FileMaker Pro file -- only one -- and I've used it for at least 12 years to do all my billing. Since it has been 12 years since I've set up a new file I can't say how long it will take me to set up a new one for this trial. I'm thinking of just switching software. But I really appreciate the time you're taking to help me through this. It's just that I've already thrown so much time and money at this problem with no good result that it's feeling ridiculous. Thanks anyway. Robin

• 7. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0v3 unexpectedly quits and I lose data
                      philmodjunk

I didn't suggest creating an exact copy of your existing file. I am suggesting something much simpler.

Just go to the File menu and select New Database. Think up  a file name for the new file, define one or two field and then try to get the file to crash by creating new records and such. IF this simple test file doesn't crash, that suggests issues with either the file or the data stored in it.

• 9. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0v3 unexpectedly quits and I lose data
                        RobinRieke

OK, I created a new file and entered 128 records with no crashes. I don't think I've entered that many new records without a crash in my old file. What does that tell you?

• 10. Re: Filemaker Pro 11.0v3 unexpectedly quits and I lose data
                          philmodjunk

As I said before, this test is to try to determine if the problem lies with the file or with some other part of your system such as a problem with your computer or your specific installation of Filemaker.

When you "created a new file" did you fully "start from scratch" redefining each field and layout from square one or did you either open an older back up copy or copy/import stuff from your current copy such as layouts, scripts and table definitions?

If you didn't fully start from scratch, you may have started from a file copy that was already damaged.

Try doing a recover of your original file and see what is reported.

If you did recreate your file from "scratch", try importing the data from your recovered copy.