Summary

Filemaker Pro 12 Advanced crash on server 2003

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows Server 2003 SP2

Description of the issue

When attempting to open a local or remote database, Filemaker 12 crashes, with the following error message in the event log:  (In YEARS of running Filemaker, I've never seen a crash, and I can duplicate this one every time.)

The application, C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced\FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 04/04/2012 @ 16:55:36.828 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 02561924 (ViewSystem!IImage::GetNumBytesForRawBGRABits)

Steps to reproduce the problem

Open a local or remote database.

Expected result

The database should open normally.

Actual result

Filemaker crash.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

The application, C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced\FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 04/04/2012 @ 16:55:36.828 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 02561924 (ViewSystem!IImage::GetNumBytesForRawBGRABits)

Configuration information

We run virtualized systems, using Parallels Virtuozzo Containers for Windows.  If there is a specific service or .NET library that is required for Filemaker, it is possible that this resource is not present.  However, we have had not trouble running previous versions of Filemaker on this platform.

Workaround

None.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 Advanced crash on server 2003
          CraigStevenson

Bump...  Has anybody else seen this problem?  Is there another place where I should report this issue, so it gets some attention?

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 Advanced crash on server 2003
            rmanook

Hi Craig Stevenson:

Thanks for submitting your post.

I haven't seen reports of W2k3/FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced at this time.

Maybe some background information can help us out, so please allow me to verify some information:

1.  How many files were converted to 12?  Does the crash happen with all of the files?
            2.  If you create a new database, close it and open it, will FileMaker 12 crash?
            3.  Did you use any plugins with FileMaker 11?
            4.  How many other machines are running Pro 12 Advanced?  Does this happen on each of those machines everytime as well?

Try running File > Recovery on the file and see if the Recovery report logs any changes.  Depending on the answers we may need to look at some OS level troubleshooting.

Thanks,
            tsturtle
            FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 Advanced crash on server 2003
              CraigStevenson

Here are the answers to your questions:

1.  No files were converted.  This was a scratch installation of FM 12.  I tried it on at least one of our FM 11 databases, along with trying to open the sample database.  The behavior was the same.

2.  I can't create a new database.  FileMaker will crash right after giving the new DB a name.

3.  No plugins with FM 11 or FM 12.

4.  This is the only machine running FM 12 Advanced.  I haven't tried regular FM 12 yet.  (FM 12 Server runs fine, but that's a different animal entirely.)

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 Advanced crash on server 2003
                rmanook

Hi Craig Stevenson:

Thanks for the update.

Ok, so it looks like we can rule out the solutions as the cause of the crashing. For the application itself we can try a re-download/re-installation of the software and make sure to choose the standard install and not a custom install.

If possible, let's also run a MSCONFIG startup.  I should note that we would be turning off all services aside from essential Microsoft services and FileMaker services so we should keep that in mind if we have any critical software running in the background.  We want to run this to make sure there isn't anything on the machine that might have been compatible with FileMaker 11 but not with FileMaker 12.

If you're not familiar with the MSCONFIG startup, go to Run > MSCONFIG > Services tab > check the Hide all Microsoft Services checkbox > uncheck all checkboxes excluding the Bonjour service.  Click Apply > Ok and the machine will reboot.

Note: To boot back up in your normal configuration once we're done testing, go to Run > MSCONFIG > General tab > click the Normal start up radio button > Apply > OK.

Once the machine reboots, does the issue still happen?  If this fails, I would try the re-download/re-installation but on another machine, user account, or off of the virtual environment.

Thanks,
                tsturtle
                FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 Advanced crash on server 2003
                  CraigStevenson

I finally got a chance to test this further.  I tried standard FileMaker Pro, instead of FileMaker Pro Advanced.  The symptoms were identical.  (This was a separate download file, so that should rule out the possibility of a corrupt download.)  I did not try MSCONFIG, since having too many services isn't really an issue in our virtual environment.  Normally, if there is an issue of some sort, it is because certain required services are NOT running.

It appears as if FileMaker 12 is seriously broken, at least when it comes to our virtual environment.  (FM 11 works fine.)

Did my original error report ever get reported to the guys that actually wrote the software?  The error message was pretty specific, and should point us in the right direction:

Obviously, it's trying to get some information (GetNumBytesForRawBGRABits), that isn't there.  (The hook isn't there.)  That should mean that either there is a pretty significant bug in FM 12, or my virtual environment doesn't have a hook that FM 12 needs.  If we new what that hook was, that would sure help...

Craig

• 6. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 Advanced crash on server 2003
                    CraigStevenson

I have solved this problem.  As I stated earlier, it looked from the start as if FileMaker 12 was trying to make a call to a hook that simply wasn't there.  Normally, this is not an issue, but in a virtual environment like mine, we don't install extra software intentionally.  The problem is caused by FileMaker 12's reliance on the .NET platform.  Installing .NET 4.0 in the virtual environment allows FileMaker 12 to run.  Evidently, previous versions of FileMaker did NOT rely on .NET.

I hope this helps the next person with this problem.

Craig

• 7. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 Advanced crash on server 2003
                      BrendanDaly

Thanks for your work Craig it helped fix the the similar problem (crash on open) I had a on a Phsycial Install of WinServer 2003 SP2 and accessing a remote FMP Solution.

For me though I didn't need to do the full .NET install.

During the .NET Framework install it asked me to first install the Windows Imaging Component (WIC). I installed the WIC and on a whim restarted the server and found that I was now able to connect to the remote database without any issue - so perhaps it is only neccassry to have the WIC installed not the full .NET Framework 4.0

• 8. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 Advanced crash on server 2003
                        CraigStevenson

Brendan,

I'm glad I could help.  Interesting about the Windows Imaging Component.  I'll have to try that first, the next time I have this issue.  I'm still a little dismayed at FileMaker's inability to find and/or fix this problem.  They should know the program's dependencies better than anyone else..

Craig