Filemaker Pro 12 is a Beta Product at best

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac 0SX Lion

Description of the issue

Where do I begin?

Everything I am listing here worked very very well in FM11.
      1.  ScriptDebugger.  Incredibly slow. Not really usable.
      2.  Frequent Crashes and Shut Downs (from Server and from the program)
      3.  Remote databases crash every few minutes.
      4.  Much slower script operation. (e.g. I have a script to constrain a list as you type.  Works about 50% as fast as FM11)
      5.  Many other actions are just slower in general.
      6.  In a Mac, if you go to a new window with an Interactive Container, the arrow is jumpy and buggy using Adobe Reader 10.1.2 as the default reader. Doing the same thing using Windows 7 (and Adobe Reader 10.1.2 as the default reader), you can't even get the container field to work because Adobe reader (the application) opens up in Full screen.  When you close the application, you cannot see the pdf in the container field in filemaker pro.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 is a Beta Product at best
          TSGal

Jonathan Brostoff:

Thank you for your post.

Do you have any plug-ins installed?  If so, what are they?

If you are getting "Frequent Crashes and Shut Downs", what are you doing prior to the crash?

I am running FileMaker Pro 12 and accessing several remote database files without issue.  Can you let me know what you were doing with the remote database files prior to the crashes?

Any other information you can provide would be appreciated.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 is a Beta Product at best
            JonathanBrostoff

Thank you so much for your response.  

I do not have any plug-ins installed but aside from the crashing, the major issue is the very slow script debugger.  I simply cannot use it. 

Although I have a fairly complex solution, the Script Debugger worked very quickly and reliably for two years in FM 11. Now, it can take 10 or 15 seconds per operation even setting a simple variable.  Keep in mind, however, that without the Script Debugger opened, the scripts work very quickly.  

The other issue is the lack of container compatibility with the latest versions of Adobe Reader. Although Adobe Reader 10.1.3 is jumpy and erratic on a Mac, I can use Preview which works as advertised.  But on the PC, the Adobe Reader application opens up and "plays" the pdf or jpg...bypassing Filemaker altogether.  Naturally, I have played with all settings with no luck.  

Thanks again and I look forward to your response.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 is a Beta Product at best
              TSGal

Jonathan Brostoff:

Thanks for the additional information.

I do not experience the same performance with the Script Debugger.  Although most of my scripts contain 50 steps or less (that may call other scripts), the Script Debugger operates the same for me as it did in FileMaker Pro 11.

I have Adober Reader 10.1.3 installed on my Windows XP (SP3) machine, and the PDF file displays within the Container field.  My Data Formatting settings for the Container field has "Format: Reduce or enlarge image to fit", "Maintain original proportions" checked, and "Interactive content (PDF, MP3, etc.)" selected.

On my Mac with Adobe Reader 9.1.1 installed, the PDF file appears with the page numbers in the upper left corner.  On Windows, only the document is displayed.

Let me know what are your settings so I can try to replicate the problem.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 is a Beta Product at best
                JonathanBrostoff

TSGal, thanks again for your prompt response.

Although I understand your Script Debugger works fine, it isn't even usable for me in FMP 12.  Interestingly, sometimes it works OK but then it will bog down badly on even the most simple scripts.  

Regarding the Containers, I use those exact settings and Adobe Reader simply doesn't work on a PC.   Sure, it works fine in Adobe but not Filemaker.  On a Mac, who cares, I'll just use Preview...but please note that Adobe 10 (not 9) is buggy.  

Also, please understand I have tried ALL the settings to see what works and writing to you is my option of last resort.  Before I contacted you, I was on the Developer forums reading about the trials and tribulations others are having with FMP 12.  Not just me.  

That said, I would love to help.  Perhaps, it would be best for you to look at my solution.  It is 250MB.  Can I upload a file that large.  Please advise.

Thanks.

JB

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 is a Beta Product at best
                  TSGal

Jonathan Brostoff:

Thanks again for the additional information.

Yes, your file can be uploaded.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 is a Beta Product at best
                    user15171

Hi, Regarding the Remote databases crash every few minutes issue, do you have any clients crashing running on Windows 7?

I have been experiencing remote disconnects and unexplained Filemaker client terminations on Windows 2008 server/ terminal server (virtual so unsupported) and now physical Windows 7 client. These databases have been running without disconnect on Filemaker 11 Server and client in my virtualised environment for a few months now.

The windows client closes with no error, it just disappears off the screen.

After quite a bit of troubleshooting with filemaker I have built a separate environment to find where my problems stem from.

I am connecting a new freshly installed Windows 7 workstation to a Mac Mini that is now on a separate and brand new switch. The Mac Mini is also new as Filemaker would not support me because my servers are in a virtualised environment.

I have abandoned my existing databases and am using a starter solution (with some field additions) that was a native Filemaker 12 database so as not to introduce any other factors into the picture.

I have experienced the first instance of the database closing without any error message. I am now running the invoicing starter solution (unmodified) on the Windows 7 client locally to see if it closes itself again.

I am keen to see what you find at your end.

• 7. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 is a Beta Product at best
                      TSGal

Jonathan Brostoff:

Our Testers are still working on this issue, and they may have found another performance related issue.  They ask if you could try the following:

1. Make a copy of your original FileMaker Pro 11 file.

2. Launch FileMaker Pro 11, and open the copy.

3. Delete all records.  Write down approximately how long it takes to delete.

4. Quit FileMaker Pro 11 and delete the copy file.

5. Make a copy of your converted FileMaker Pro 12 file.

6. Launch FileMaker Pro 12, and open the copy.

7. Delete all records.  Write down approximately how long it takes to delete.

8. Close the copy of the file and delete it.

Please report back what you find.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 is a Beta Product at best
                        JonathanBrostoff

Of course, but I have many tables in the database.  Which one do you want me to delete all the records?

• 9. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 is a Beta Product at best
                          TSGal

Jonathan Brostoff:

Unfortunately, the Testers didn't specify.  There appears to be a related performance issue when deleting records.  Therefore, I would just focus on the table with the most records.  Again, make sure you perform the deletions using the copies; not the originals.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 is a Beta Product at best
                            JonathanBrostoff

OK, I deleted the 5177 records in the Contacts table for both.  It took 62 seconds in FM 12 and 82 seconds in FM 11.  

I am uploading the last database I did in FM 11 a few months back for your testers.  I suggest they convert the file, take a look at my first post and compare the two.  I will send you the link when I get it.

Please please have them use my Find A Contact button in My Home in both.  It is so brutal in FM12 and that is indicative of the performance issues we are having throughout the program.  All of my users are complaining.  This is issue #1 for us.

Thanks.

• 11. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 is a Beta Product at best
                              ralvy

FM12 Script Debugger is very slow if Data Viewer is open at the same time, which, I imagine, is how most of us use it.

• 12. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 is a Beta Product at best
                                TSGal

Jonathan Brostoff:

Thank you for the additional information.  I also received your file (again) and passed along the specific instructions to the appropriate testers.  I will keep you updated as testing continues.

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 is a Beta Product at best
                                  TSGal

Jonathan Brostoff:

Testing is still investigating this issue, and they have asked that if you still have the test file with the records deleted, to run the script again with the Script Debugger and Data Viewer open.  Is there any difference in performance?

TSGal
                                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 is a Beta Product at best
                                    JonathanBrostoff

What script are you referring to?  Per your request above, I deleted the Contacts so the Find A Contacts script naturally won't work.  

Also, since you have my FM11 database, tell your testers to convert that file and compare the two.  Although I don't mind, it would certainly be faster for them to test it right there. 

Thanks.

JB