Summary

FileMaker Pro 12 Print to PDF Fuzzy on Windows

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows

Description of the issue

Printing to PDF on Windows results in a fuzzy document. Whereas printing to PDF on OS X is fine. Is there a problem with the PDF driver that comes with FileMaker Pro 12?

We have several clients complaining about the same problem after they upgraded to FileMaker Pro 12.

Steps to reproduce the problem

See the attached PDF. The first page is printed to PDF from OS X. The second page is the same record printed to PDF on Windows.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro 12 Print to PDF Fuzzy on Windows
          tduell_1

The upload did not allow a PDF - sorry. Enclosed is a screen shot. The left side is the OS X PDF. The right side is the Windows PDF.

If you email me I will send you the actual PDF files so you can compare them more closely. The PNG made both of them a little blurry. However, you should still be able to see the difference between the two. I have examples of other Windows PDF's that are much worse.

I know this is a PDF driver issue. But I need to report it becuase I'm getting so many complaints from our Windows users that upgraded to FileMaker Pro 12.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro 12 Print to PDF Fuzzy on Windows
            RobertMoran

This is NOT acceptable. I am getting the same problem as tduell. The PDF print option works without issue on OSX and on the iPad but not on Win 7. The PDF environment worked with 11 but not 12 or 12 advanced. Fix this damn thing now! This creates enormous problems for me and my clients. 

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro 12 Print to PDF Fuzzy on Windows
              MeghanGohil

Agreed - I am having the exact same issue.  It's most noticeable when i use the FileMaker Chart tool . . . I'm printing to PDF using Adobe Acrobat.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro 12 Print to PDF Fuzzy on Windows

@All:

Thank you for the posts and I apologize for the delay.

Is everyone using the most recent 12.0v4 release of FileMaker Pro 12?

Printing to a PDF uses a PDF printer driver and results in the creation of a PDF. The PDF driver FileMaker uses to create the PDF depends on the driver available to operating system. 

By default, on a Mac computer, Preview is the default PDF reader and writer, unless another installed program is set to the default. 

By default, on a Windows computer, Microsoft's XPS writer is the default PDF writer, unless another installed program is set to the default. 

Using FileMaker Pro 12.0v4 on Windows 7 and FileMaker Pro 12.0v4 on Mac OS X 10.7.5, I am able to create PDFs of identical quality. 

On Mac OS X 10.7.5, I used Preview, the default PDF writer and reader. On Windows 7, I used Microsoft's native XPS writer to Save/Send Records as PDF and afterwards installed the free Foxit PDF writer and reader to view the PDF. I also tested with the free version Foxit PDF writer and reader as the default with equal success. 

Meghan Gohil reports a discrepancy of quality when using Adobe Acrobat's PDF driver to create the PDF. Does this also occur with other third party PDF writer/readers on Windows 7? 

So, that we can narrow this down further, could anyone who is reporting a discrepancy in quality please post the default PDF writer/reader in use?

Does this only occur when using Adobe's PDF driver to create the PDF?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Pro 12 Print to PDF Fuzzy on Windows
                  JosephSchueller_1

Same issue, seems to not be limited to Adobe. Printing a chart to PDF with Foxit  produces more successful results, but still noticeable line cutoff. "Save as PDF" command from preview mode locks up Filemaker (Not Responding) with either PDF writer for me.

While the PDF's display as flawed on screen, printing seems to not be effected.

Perhaps unrelated: viewing my chart in preview mode modifies the font so that it appears bold, and the "3d" effect of this particular bar style chart is virtually negated. PDF's saved through preview>print or File>print retain these changes. 

• 6. Re: FileMaker Pro 12 Print to PDF Fuzzy on Windows

Joseph Schueller:

Thank you for the reply. 

I am unable to replicate without Adobe. If possible, I would like to take a look at your file. Check your inbox at the top of this page for instructions on how to submit your file.

TSFalcon
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Pro 12 Print to PDF Fuzzy on Windows

Joseph Schueller:

Thank you for the file.

I am able to replicate with your file on both Mac OS X 10.8.4 and Windows 7. However, I am not able to replicate in a new file after using FileMaker Pro 12.0v4 Advanced to copy the table and field schema from your file into the new one. Recover does not report any errors but since recover does not always detect all problems, I have sent your file to Testing for review. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FileMaker Pro 12 Print to PDF Fuzzy on Windows
                        philmodjunk

TSFalcon's findings are prompting a follow up question: Is this by any chance a file that was converted to the FMP12 format from an earlier version of FIleMaker?

This comment by tduell suggests that possibility:

I'm getting so many complaints from our Windows users that upgraded to FileMaker Pro 12.

• 9. Re: FileMaker Pro 12 Print to PDF Fuzzy on Windows
                          JosephSchueller_1

Interesting. Perhaps I'll need to start a new file if the current one is error-ridden. I may test that today. The file has had previous problems interacting with PDFs.

To answer Phil's question, the file was made in FMPA12 from the get-go. 

• 10. Re: FileMaker Pro 12 Print to PDF Fuzzy on Windows
                            JosephSchueller_1

TSFalcon:

I've created a new file, fields and tables copied from the original. The new file has the same issue. It may be worth taking a very close look at the PDF output you came up with through Foxit. As stated before, the problem is not as bad as using Adobe, but still noticeable.  I've attached a screenshot. Notice the "Physiology" and "Obstetrics & Gynecology" lines.

My hunch is that some conflict between Filemaker's font library and either PDF writer's font library exists. Zooming to differing levels on the PDF output (Foxit or Adobe) changes the level to which lines are cut off. In the "bolding" of the Y axis labels that occurs as the chart is printed to PDF, it appears that the area allocated to text is thrown out of proportion with the native zoom level. The higher the zoom level, the less noticeable the distortions/missing lines. There is always something detectable, however.

Again, just a hunch. I don't know what is happening when Filemaker layouts are printed to PDF or viewed in Preview mode (is it letting the PDF or printer driver take over at that point? I'm ignorant here). but if the above is on the right track, this seems to be the point where the trouble starts.

• 11. Re: FileMaker Pro 12 Print to PDF Fuzzy on Windows

Joseph Schueller:

Thank you for the reply.

At first, using your file, I was not able to create any PDF output. Both Mac OS X's Preview App and FoxIt on Windows 7 locked-up FileMaker to the point of "Application Not Responding." After more testing, I unchecked the box for "Automatically open file" and a PDF was successfully created with both programs.  

Upon closer examination of the PDF created with Preview and a PDF with FoxIt/Adobe, I can confirm a slight difference in the quality of the PDF output when zoomed in on the text. See the screenshot below. 

Additionally, I updated the report sent to Testing and Development with this new information. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.