Summary

FileMaker Pro 12 trial version does not save any changes

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OSX

Description of the issue

Two separate times since starting my trial period, I have created a database using a Starter Solution (Contacts) and have spent hours customizing the layout, adding fields, and importing data. At the end of the day, I've made sure that everything is saved. Then the next day, when I double click on the Contacts.fmp12 file on my desktop, I  get an error message (see screen shot). So then I open FM Pro from Finder, click on Open Recent, choose the file, and it opens. However, all my layout and formatting changes are gone, as is most of the data. The only data that is there are names.

This is SUPER frustrating. I really hesitate to spend another 3-6 hours working on layout and creating custom fields in order to determine if FM will work for our organization if I'm going to just lose it all again. I would think when you have a 30-day trial, you can create a customized database that you can work on during that entire period, and not have to start over every day.

Can anyone troubleshoot this with me?

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

The document "Contacts.fmp12" could not be opened. FileMaker Pro cannot open files in the "FileMaker Document" format.

Screen_Shot_2014-04-28_at_10.44.31_AM.png

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro 12 trial version does not save any changes

Tara Miller: 

Thank you for the post.

I previously responded to your identical post here: 

Filemaker Pro Trial does not save layout changes

This error will be thrown if the FileMaker Pro trial is not first opened and the Contacts.fmp12 is instead double-clicked.

This is a limitation of the trial, as you must first open the program and click "Try it" before a file will be able to be opened via a double-click.

Open the FileMaker Pro trial and then click File > Open… and choose the file to be opened. 

If recent changes to the file are not reflected, I suggest searching the computer for all files with ".fmp12" extension to see if perhaps more than one copy of the file was saved to multiple places.

What exact steps were taken to open the file? 

With the file opened, make changes to the layout, then quit and reopen the program. Did the new changes save?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.