Summary

Filemaker Pro 12, suddenly requiring password

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac 10.5.9

Description of the issue

I have been using this database for 3 years.  Today I built a new database, completely separate and worked on it for a couple of hours.  When I went to open my original client database tonight it is asking for a password!  I have never assigned a password, never been asked for a password on this database.  I do not know why it is suddenly asking for a password.  I desperately need to access this file.  I signed in to the forum but find no fixes even though it seems others have had a FM file suddenly be locked for password!

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 12, suddenly requiring password
          Fred(CH)

If FileMaker is asking for a password i think it *inevitably* means that a password was defined.

A common cause in OS X is when a keychain entry was added for a while, and afterwards, this entry was not recognized anymore. It could happen for instance if you rename the database file. Are you able to check your Keychain to see if it is the case ? Or rename back your file ? If the answer is no to both, you could try to simply restart your computer to see if the entry keychain is now recognized. 

Another possible cause is when an auto log-in was initially defined in file options (Menu File > File Options…) and afterwards, it was cleared. Here it could be more difficult to recover it.

All other information you could provide us could be helpful.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 12, suddenly requiring password
            TSGal

adobelady:

Thank you for your post.

The information from "Fred" is correct (Thank you!).

Whenever a new database file is created, the Auto-login option is enabled to open the file with Account name = "Admin" with no password.  If the Automatic login is disabled, then you will be prompted for an Account Name and Password.  Try entering the default options "Admin" (without quotes) for Account Name and a blank Password.  Does this work?

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 12, suddenly requiring password
              adobelady

Thank you so much Fred and TSGal!  My database OPENED!  TSGAL - I used the "Admin" with blank password and it opened!  After an evening of pure terror about this situation I am so thankful!  Now the question is HOW DID THE PASSWORD AUTO LOGIN get disabled and what should I do to keep this database functioning without a password requirement.  I have never password protected this file.  Can I turn OFF the Auto Login?  Can I return the file to the function of NO PASSWORD LOGIN?  I would really appreciate your input.  Again, thank you so much! I am not closing this file until I have a course of action.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 12, suddenly requiring password
                adobelady

Further info.  Per Fred's suggestion I looked at OPTIONS.  LOGIN is not selected.  I am attaching a screen shot.  I am going to leave it this way.  Question is, how did it get changed? OR is there another way the password could have been "turned on"?

PS - thank you for such a QUICK response! You guys are GREAT!

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 12, suddenly requiring password
                  TSGal

adobelady:

With the file open, pull down the File menu and select "File Options...".  Click on the "Open" tab (if not already selected), and under "When opening this file", enter a checkmark next to "Log in using:".  Since every file requires an Account Name, select the option "Account Name and Password", and make sure the Account Name shows Admin, and leave the Password blank.

You can now close the file.  Reopen the file, and you will see the file opens automatically.

Let me know if you run into any difficulty or need clarification.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Pro 12, suddenly requiring password
                    TSGal

adobelady:

Our messages crossed in transit.

That is the correct screen.  Be sure to follow my directions above.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Filemaker Pro 12, suddenly requiring password
                      adobelady

I saved a copy of the file.  I opened the copy and it is still asking for a password even though the OPEN instructions are set with Log in unchecked.  I can open it using the Admin/blank combination.  It has my name in the login NAME field and a blank PASSWORD field.  So I need  to figure out how to TURN OFF this login request.

• 8. Re: Filemaker Pro 12, suddenly requiring password
                        TSGal

adobelady:

You need to make sure Log in is CHECKED; not unchecked.  Every database file needs at least one account name.  Therefore, enter a checkmark next to "Log in using", and set the Account name to Admin without a password.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Filemaker Pro 12, suddenly requiring password
                          adobelady

GREAT!  The file is now opening without a password.  Thank you so much TSGal.  I have recorded this for future use and really appreciate that you were there with the right information.  Thank God for great support professionals!  I love my Filemaker, but when it gets ca-ca, I am really lost.

Enjoy your great day!