9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2013 11:19 AM by JohnMayhan

FILEMAKER Pro 12:  Very slow preview of records from page to page

RaghupathyRamanathan

Summary

FILEMAKER Pro 12:  Very slow preview of records from page to page & very very slow creating a pdf file

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12 (Trial)

Operating system version

Windows 7 (64bit)

Description of the issue

I am using the FM-pro 12 trial version in windows 7 (64bit) version. In a file FP7 file converted to FMP12, the changing from one page to the other for preview is very slow and there is a lag time from one page to the other.  In addition, when we try to create a report in pdf (I use adobe acrobat X Pro) again the printing is painfully slow, considerably much much slower than the other previous versions including FM pro-11. I also tried the save as pdf without any change in the behavior. This is very critical and we have stopped the purchased order to upgrade to version 12 from our previous version. We use the Times New Roman 12 font.

• 1. Re: FILEMAKER Pro 12:  Very slow preview of records from page to page & very very slow creating a pdf...
          TSGal

Raghupathy Ramanathan:

Thank you for your post.

We are currently investigating different print (and save to PDF) performance scenarios.  Can you tell me more about your layout.  Specifically, do you have a lot of graphics?  Do you have Web Viewers?  Do you have Text objects?  Do you have conditional formatting for any of the fields or objects?  Do you have objects set to sliding up or sliding left?  Any additional informatioin you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FILEMAKER Pro 12:  Very slow preview of records from page to page & very very slow creating a pdf...
            RaghupathyRamanathan

More about the print layout:  

More about the print layout:  

Specifically, do you have a lot of graphics? : None at all

Do you have Web Viewers?  -- None

Do you have Text objects?  There are many text objects in the Print layouts and two concatenated fields in most Print layouts.

Do you have conditional formatting for any of the fields or objects?  No conditional formatting.

Do you have objects set to sliding up or sliding left?  We have several repeating fields sliding up to remove blank lines; none sliding left.

Additional information:  There are repeating fields, set to a maximum of 30 repeats per field but most of the records have only about 10 to 12 repeats which have data. We have five repeating fields in each print layout.

No container fields yet; even if when we add them to the data entry layout , they would not be printed, so would not be in the print layout.

-       In the print layout we have field borders

But the bottom line is that the same set of records (ranging from 80 records to over 1000 records), in the same print layout in previous versions (FP5 and FP9, and FP11) of FileMaker Pro did not give us any trouble in previewing and creating pdf files using Adobe Acrobat (Standard). With FMP -12 the performance (preview and printing) deteriorated significantly. We have at least 6 similar print layouts which we use often and in all the layouts we see slow previews and “.pdf “ production with FMP-12.

• 3. Re: FILEMAKER Pro 12:  Very slow preview of records from page to page & very very slow creating a pdf...
              TSGal

Raghupathy Ramanathan:

Thank you for the additional information.

There are definitely some issues with printing performance with FileMaker Pro 12 compared with earlier versions.  On top of that, the performance varies widely depending what objects appear in the layout.  THe information you provided will help us with our ongoing investigation.

I will keep you updated as information becomes available to me.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FILEMAKER Pro 12:  Very slow preview of records from page to page & very very slow creating a pdf...
                andi

Hi

We experience the same issues with FM 12v2.

For us, printing with FM 12v1 was definitely not possible on some layouts. With FM12v2 it got better, but not really good.

What I tried:

1) Printing 1 record is alwasy possible.

2) Printing a lot of records was not possible wiht FM12v1 (a lot means: 12'000 records from 30'000 records).

3) Printing a lot of records was possible wiht FM12v2 (a lot means: 12'000 records from 30'000 records): BUT VERY SLOW

3) What I tried: Rebuilding a layout from scratch. Interesting: This helped! Printing feedback (page 1 to n) appeared almost intantly. BUT: after a day or so, the problem reappeared on those layouts.

4) Printing 12'000 records FM12v2: We wait more than 5 minutes until the printing feedback window  appears. (-> There should be a window before this window, telling people they should wait!) I instructed the staff to be patient and wait, instead of killing FM app.

• 5. Re: FILEMAKER Pro 12:  Very slow preview of records from page to page & very very slow creating a pdf...
                  RaghupathyRamanathan

Can you please include the Operating system? Is it windows 7 , 64 bit or anything else? Can you please clarify what you really meant 'printing'? Did you try to print as a pdf file or did you mean actually printing to a network printer to produce hard copies? If it had been sent to such a printer the printer memory and cache, network load that may have played a part in your printing speed and the time that it took to load your file into cache (spool) before it showed you the printer info.  Can you please tell me whether your preview speed was very good  when you go from page to page in a preview mode?   I work with 2000 to 3000 records ( two to three thousand records and not twelve thousand records as in your case). I would very much appreciate response to the specific details as requested above. Thanks in advance for your time

• 6. Re: FILEMAKER Pro 12:  Very slow preview of records from page to page & very very slow creating a pdf...
                    andi

Hello Raghupathy Ramanathan

I tested this issue on OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) and with FM 12.0v2: 

The effect is the same when printing to a USB printer or a pdf file.
                    Some speed tests show:

a) FM selected records: 6'000. Print to pdf 6'000 pages. Very, very long delay until print message appears.

b) FM selected records: 6'000. Print to pdf 100 pages. Almost instantly print message appears.

Some tests show, that, when a certain portal field is not on this layout the printing speed is enhanced. My portal field contains text for a A4 size serial letter.

Best regards

Andreas

• 7. Re: FILEMAKER Pro 12:  Very slow preview of records from page to page & very very slow creating a pdf...
                      JohnMayhan

Any response from FM Support yet? I have a similar issue on FM 12 Server. Local reports print in a minute or two... in client mode, the same reports take hours...

• 8. Re: FILEMAKER Pro 12:  Very slow preview of records from page to page & very very slow creating a pdf...
                        RaghupathyRamanathan

Unfortunately, there is no response from FileMaker. They ask me to call the tech support directly and ask for a solution when I sent them another e-mail asking whether they are working on a next version to FMP-12 hoping that they will address this printing issue and also the creation of pdf.  We have been asked to minimize printing hardcopies and try to create pdf files.  We have to create pdf for more than 1000 records.  Also, remember that when you go to preview mode and try to “ Save as pdf” , the data base crashed everytime without exception. I had pointed out these problems to filmmaker pro in a separate e-mail to support. No response.  Just to let you know that we use windows XP pro and the problems with Windows 7 is only slightly decreased

After quite a bit frustration and complaints from our colleagues, we have to step down to FileMaker Pro version 11.3. Problems with this version is less frustrating.

• 9. Re: FILEMAKER Pro 12:  Very slow preview of records from page to page & very very slow creating a pdf...
                          JohnMayhan

I've made some progress. Seems my slowness was rooted in the Adobe printer (distiller) driver. When "save as PDF" from the Filemaker Toolbar was selected instead of the Adobe printer driver, the report generated in just a few minutes instead of hours. There must be a weakness in the communication between the Filemaker Server and my local Adobe print driver. Opening the firewall for Adobe didn't help.