Summary

Filemaker Pro 13 Freezing

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Imac

Description of the issue

In my database, when I try and exit "Edit Layout" on one of my forms, it freezing and has to be Forced to quit.
      I have started again 3 times now, each time the same thing happens

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. Restarting program
      2. Creating another database
      3. Deleting tables, relationships, fields

Expected result

Being about to more between layouts and in/out of "Edit Layout" mode

Actual result

Each time I get to a certain Form, it freezes,
      Seems to be a different form each time I try and recreate the database from scratch

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error message, just freezes and has to be forced to quit

Configuration information

No

Workaround

No

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 Freezing
          philmodjunk

Force quitting can produce a damaged file. And a damaged file can "lock up" and force you to use Force Quit to exit. Thus, you may have a damaged file and the damage might be the cause of your trouble or it could be the result of the force quit.

Either way, using recover to check your file for damage would be a good idea.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          3.           Recover does not detect all problems
          5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 Freezing
            AdamRoberts

Tried using Recovery, it came back as "no problem found" and when I opened the recovered version the same thing happened

I don't think its a corrupt file as every new database I start ends up producing the same behaviour after a couple of tables have been added. 

I am starting to think I would have been better staying with Access as it seems more of a software fault 

any other ideas on how to fix this??? 

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 Freezing
              Markus Schneider

are there any triggers, any calculations (maybe using sql, custom functions,) in those layouts?

We never had this in a proper FileMaker DB, as long as...

- no damaged index

- no scripts with endless loops

- no calculation that creates an endless loop 

when accessing a non-existent data source, FileMaker will 'lock' as well - but will be back after the time-out (maybe 40 seconds per source)

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 Freezing
                TSGal

Adam Roberts:

Thank you for your posts.

This is definitely not normal behavior.  Since this is happening to you for "every new database I start ends up producing the same behaviour after a couple of tables have been added.", I suspect an issue with your FileMaker Pro installation.  Therefore, I would uninstall FileMaker Pro, and then reinstall it so all new files are created.

Please also include what version of Mac OS X you are using.

Continue to keep everyone updated on any progress.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 Freezing
                  philmodjunk

Since this is a Mac system, perhaps trashing preferences might make a difference.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Pro 13 Freezing
                    AdamRoberts

Thanks for the feedback, I have taken your advice and reinstalled, it now seems to be working fine, maybe there was an issue with the original installation

Thanks for all the suggestions