8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2009 9:57 AM by philmodjunk

Filemaker Pro 7 crashing

kcassady

Summary

Filemaker Pro 7 crashing

Description of the issue

I have 4 workstations running Filemaker Pro 7v3a connected to a server running Filemaker Server 7v3.  The workstations are all running Windows XP Pro and the server is Windows 2003.  On 3 of the 4 workstations Filemaker Pro has started crashing unexpectedly where it just shuts down and users get kicked to the desktop.  Based on feedback from the users, it is happening at random.  I am seeing the following in the Event Viewer. Event Type: ErrorEvent Source: Application ErrorEvent Category: NoneEvent ID: 1000Date:  11/13/2008Time:  5:26:20 PMUser:  N/AComputer: WSXP09Description:Faulting application filemaker pro.exe, version 7.0.3.321, faulting module hbam.dll, version 7.0.3.236, fault address 0x00028a87.For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.Data:0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74   Applicat0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c   ion Fail0010: 75 72 65 20 20 66 69 6c   ure  fil0018: 65 6d 61 6b 65 72 20 70   emaker p0020: 72 6f 2e 65 78 65 20 37   ro.exe 70028: 2e 30 2e 33 2e 33 32 31   .0.3.3210030: 20 69 6e 20 68 62 61 6d    in hbam0038: 2e 64 6c 6c 20 37 2e 30   .dll 7.00040: 2e 33 2e 32 33 36 20 61   .3.236 a0048: 74 20 6f 66 66 73 65 74   t offset0050: 20 30 30 30 32 38 61 38    00028a80058: 37 0d 0a                  7..     I get a variation of this with other "faulting modules", ntdll.dll, fmlayout.dll, dbengine.dll, support.dll, I think I've seen some others but this is as far back as the Event Viewer for this particular machine goes. At one point all of these workstations were stable, 3 out of 4 of them now exhibit this problem.  I've gone as far as to flatten and rebuild one of the workstations, installing only MS Office, NOD32, and Filemaker, and the error reappeared.  I can not figure out what is unique to the one workstation that Filemaker does not crash on. If anybody has some thoughts please share. 

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 7 crashing
          rmanook

Hi kcassady,

Thanks for posting.

Just to verify, what is the benchmark for the crashing... a few minutes, hours, days, etc.?  Also, are the users doing anything specific when the crash happens, i.e. whenever running scripts, running reports, printing, etc.?  Are the users idle or do they get kicked out while working with the database?  Will FileMaker Pro crash if it is working with a local database (not connecting to a FileMaker Server hosted database)?

Let's try booting the machine into Run > MSCONFIG > Services tab > Hide all Microsoft Services checkbox > Disable All > Apply > Close > Reboot.

(after testing, perform the steps above and choose 'Enable All' instead of 'Disable All' to re-enable all services) 

Let me know how it works out

Thanks!

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 7 crashing
            kcassady

The crash happens a couple times a day.  The users cannot isolate the crash to any specific action.  They get kicked out while working with the database.  I have not tried a local database.

I'll try the MSCONFIG suggestion and report back.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 7 crashing
              kcassady

I guess another tech who called your phone support had already tried the MSCONFIG suggestion.

We may have found a solution though.  There is a network printer all the machines share, and the machine that is not crashing has a much older version of the printer driver.  The other tech's suggestion was to roll back the printer driver on the other machines to the older version and have them print locally to the network printer's IP address instead of spooling print jobs on the server.  I made these changes and no crashes since.

These machines were crashing at times other than just printing, do print drivers play such a role that they could crash an application even when not printing?

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 7 crashing
                SweBigmac
                   What brand was your printer? We have the exact same problem with our HP Laserjet running 9.0v3. Random crashes, sometimes when filemaker is in the background. Running XPsp3 and 2000 Server. Any suggestions?
                • 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 7 crashing
                  Fran

I'm using a MacBook Pro, latest version, and FileMaker 7 crashes each time I try to print.  In fact, I've purchased FM Pro 9, but the files always come up as FM 7, which is already a bit puzzling.

The only way to print a FM file is to save it in PDF format and then, print that file.  This problem doesn't occur ont my old Mac (G4), which can print directly the FM files on any given printer (even the oldest ones).  Changing to a new printer didn't change anything to the problem.

The problem occurs on both printers connected to the computer : HP LaserJet P1005 and HP Officejet Pro K8600.

Suggestion anyone?  Thanks, cuz I'm no computer wiz (I just want the darn thing to work...).  

• 6. Re: Filemaker Pro 7 crashing
                    philmodjunk
                       Filemaker Inc. does not change the suffix to their files unless the physical format of the files changes. Since the file format has not changed since fmp7 the .fp7 suffix has not changed.
                    • 7. Re: Filemaker Pro 7 crashing
                      Fran

Thank you.  This answers at least part of the puzzle.

On the other hand, it doesn't explain why FM crashes each time the command « Print » is given. If anyone has manage to solve the problem, it would be a blessing to know how to fix it.

• 8. Re: Filemaker Pro 7 crashing
                        philmodjunk
                           There are known issues with some printer drivers where the PDF trick solves the problem. You might want to check out the rather neglected "Help us Understand Printing Challenges" for more information.