5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2009 7:30 AM by TSGal

FileMaker Pro 8.5 locks up using Leopard 6.2

josepmille_1

Summary

FileMaker Pro 8.5 locks up using Leopard 6.2

Description of the issue

I've just stated using Leopard 6.2  When I try to export records, FileMaker locks up.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro 8.5 locks up using Leopard 6.2
          TSGal

josepmille:

Thank you for your post.

I have installed FileMaker Pro 8.5 on a Mac Mini running Mac OS X 10.6.2.  I created a file with a few fields and a few records, and I was able to export to a tab-separated text file without a problem.  What type of file are you trying to export?  I'll try to replicate the problem here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro 8.5 locks up using Leopard 6.2
            josepmille_1

I don't know what I'm doing.  I responded yesterday to what I thought was TSGal.  But I think I responded to my first question, trying to provide additional information.  Here, I'll try again, this is a learning experience for me.  

I should have provided this information the first time.  I can export to tab separated file.  When I try to export the records as an Excel file or Excel - create email with file as attachment; FileMaker locks up. 

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro 8.5 locks up using Leopard 6.2
              TSGal

josepmille:

Thank you for the additional information.

On a Mac Mini running Mac OS X 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard), I installed FileMaker Pro 8.5.  I was able to open a database file and export the contents to an Excel file without incident.  I then pulled down the File menu and selected Send Mail, and attached the Excel file.  Since I didn't have an email client set up, I had to change it to SMTP Server, and it ran successfully.

When FileMaker locks up, is the Excel file already created?  If so, could it be the Send Mail step locking up?  I'm trying to narrow this down further.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro 8.5 locks up using Leopard 6.2
                TSGal

josepmille:

First, I want to apologize for giving you wrong information.  Between your last post and my last post, a week had transpired, and the secondary test I performed was using FileMaker Pro 10; not FileMaker Pro 8.5.  I will try again and post within the hour.

"Thank you" to forum user "kohanmike" for pointing out my mistake.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: FileMaker Pro 8.5 locks up using Leopard 6.2
                  TSGal

josepmille:

I just finished using FileMaker Pro 8.5 on a Mac Mini running Mac OS X 10.6.2.

I used a test database file (Test.fp7).  I exported the table to an Excel format file.  When prompted for a Worksheet name, I entered "Test" and saved "Test.xls" to the Desktop.

I then set up my email account using Apple Mail on that machine.  I then returned to Test.fp7, pulled down the File menu and selected "Send Mail".  I entered my email address into the "To:" section, "Test" for Subject, "This is a test." for Message, attached "Test.xls" and sent.  The email was sent, and I received an incoming mail with the attachment about a minute later.

Do you have access to another Snow Leopard machine with a valid email address?  Can you try the same steps on that machine?

How large is the Excel file attachment?  Can you try exporting one field and one record to another Excel file and try to send?  Does that work?

Any other information you can provide to help me replicate this issue would be appreciated.

Again, I apologize for giving you wrong information. 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.