9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2009 5:24 PM by brittsan_1

Filemaker Pro 9 Advanced not working in Snow Leopard

GrahamSims

Summary

Filemaker Pro 9 Advanced not working in Snow Leopard

Description of the issue

FM website says that FMPro 9 Advanced is compatible with Snow Leopard. It isn't working on my 24" iMac I have installed Snow Leopard and am trying to run FMPro Advanced 9.0.3. The program opens but will neither create a new database nor open any of my many existing databases. The quickstart menu will not even let me browse files. I just get the spinning beachball. If I double click a database in the Finder, I get the splash screen very briefly, then the spinning beachball and FM hangs. How is this compatibility with Snow Leopard? Really, really disappointed Anyone else having problems? 

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 Advanced not working in Snow Leopard
          patrick.risch

Hi

I have been beta-testing Snow Leopard and I was brave.

I did my daily work on 10.6 (starting May 2009) and could not find severe problems.

Since I have not receive the final Snow Leopard yet, I can not finally confirm if everything works flawlessly. A soon as I can test with the final 10.6 I will post my results.

Cheers

Patrick 

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 Advanced not working in Snow Leopard
            bradsteratl
               I am also running Filemaker Pro Advanced version 9.0.3 with Snow Leopard and am not experiencing any issues on my 15" MacBook Pro. Good luck!
            • 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 Advanced not working in Snow Leopard
              GrahamSims

Your responses made me persevere. I eventually uninstalled FM, reinstalled from the disk (that didn't work because it was v9.1), downloaded the FM updater and installed that, and now have FMPro 9.0.3 Advanced working.

There was obviously something about the installation of Snow Leopard which my installed version of FM did not like, but all now seems to be well. 

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 Advanced not working in Snow Leopard
                brittsan_1

I am using FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced 9.0v3 on a MacBook. I installed Snow Leopard and then FM isn't working! All text is invisible. I can only see the fields - no text what so ever!

How did you uninstall FM? Just by removing it?  

Any suggestions?

Thanks! 

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 Advanced not working in Snow Leopard
                  TSGal

brittsan:

Thank you for your post.

To uninstall FileMaker Pro on a Mac, drag the FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced folder and all of its contents to the trash.  In addition, drag the preferences file to the trash.  The preferences file can be found at:

User Account -> Library -> Preferences -> FileMaker Preferences -> FileMaker Pro 9.0A Prefs

Another user on the forum ran into a similar issue with invisible fonts after installing Snow Leopard.  Please see the solved solution at:

http://fm.lithium.com/fm/board/message?board.id=FM-en-4&message.id=23960

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 Advanced not working in Snow Leopard
                    brittsan_1

Thanks for your reply,

After posting I found out how to uninstall FileMaker. I did, and I installed Rosetta and then reinstalled FileMaker - unfortunately it didn't make any difference!

I read the link you gave me last week and that didn't make any difference either!

Any suggestions?

I think I have to choose between updating my Operating System or keep using Filemaker! It is too much trouble to go back to Leopard. Who knows for how long I have to be stuck with Leopard if I choose to keep using FileMaker!?

I called FileMaker and they are "blaming" it on Apple, and I called Apple and they don't know what to do. So here I am in the middle of FileMaker and Apple and don't have a clue what to do!

Thanks! 

• 7. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 Advanced not working in Snow Leopard
                      TSGal

brittsan:

Thank you for the additional information.

I have access to a machine that I've just updated to Snow Leopard 10.6.1 with FileMaker Pro 9.0v3 installed.  I created a database file with a few fields, and all the information displays properly.  I'm not sure what else to try here.  I have sent a screen shot to our Technical Support liaison that displays the database file.  You should receive that in the next hour.

What fonts are you using on your layout?  I will try to reproduce here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 Advanced not working in Snow Leopard
                        brittsan_1

Thank you TSGal,

This is what I did:

1) I opened the Font Book and some fonts have a warning triangle next to the font name. I use Arial in this database, and that font has that Warning triangle next to it!

Warning Triangle: Multiple copies of this font are installed. You can use the Resolve Duplicates command to automatically deactivate the copies not in use. I found that command under the Edit Menu.

2) I opened the data base and in Layout Mode I did Select All and changed the font (again to Arial), then I got the message: This operation cannot be completed because it would exceed the maximum allowed dimensions of a layout.

I changed to Helvetica and all text is visible again!!!!!

I am asking myself where the duplicate fonts are located, I can't find them.

I wonder if I have to go through all layouts and change the font manually, or is there another way to to it?

Thanks,

Brittsan 

• 9. Re: Filemaker Pro 9 Advanced not working in Snow Leopard
                          brittsan_1

Hello again,

I deleted the Arial font from User fonts in the Font Book (which was a duplicate font) and now it is working just like before Snow Leopard! I just wish FileMaker or Apple could have told me that!!! It would have saved me many phone calls and lots of time, uninstall and reinstall.

I hope this information can help somebody else with the same problem.

Britt