Thank you for your post.
A license key conflict should only occur when launching FileMaker Pro; not when opening another file.
I am unable to replicate the issue, as I have several files open. Some of the files are local, but a few of the files are hosted on different servers running FileMaker Server 14.0.2.
Can you provide the exact steps so I can try to replicate the issue?
Just tagging along with this one - I frequently get the same problem on my Macbook Pro, while running Filemaker 14 Advanced and connecting to the server.
I also run the same copy of Filemaker 14 Advanced on my desktop computer (at separate times) and do not have any issues, it just seems to be my Macbook Pro (and my desktop computer is definitely not running 14 Advanced or any other copy when I'm using my Macbook Pro).
The problem does not occur when I launch Filemaker, it occurs either when I go to open Manage Database or I go to open a second file (from the same server).
I have also noticed it mostly only occurs when I'm at work where the server is - if I'm at home I don't think I get the problem (although don't focus on that too much I'm not 100% sure that I've never seen it while at home and accessing the server remotely).
This screenshot was taken on my MacBook Pro, while trying to open a second file (you can see the first file had been opened successfully and was being used).
A couple more notes: The conflict will also occur with IP address 192.168.1.1 (while my IP address is still 192.168.1.119), although it still says Steph's MacBook Pro is the conflicting user.
My desktop is connected via ethernet, MacBook Pro via wifi.
We have met the problem over time. Some time it is popping up at one or another customer. We only once had it at our own installation.
It is not happening often and the problem seem to go away again. We are not sure whether it is what we did to solve it that helped ... but when a customer complain you have to do something:-)
We have removed and re-installed FileMaker, updated (if appropriate), deleted settings from the library etc.
Just a few notes:
- Although we are having many Windows customers we have only seen it on Mac's.
- To my best knowledge we have only seen it on FM Server based solutions (but we probably only have FM Server based solutions).
- It is not happening very often and I do not remember seeing the problem within the latest half year.
it sometimes happens for me on PC if I have a ODBC source connected to my relationship graph. Then I use Task Manager to kill the FileMaker Pro process and hat solves the problem.
I was able to identify the cause of this issue in two precise situations :
- When FMP is crashing if i don't wait enough time (maybe the standard 120 seconds) before to try a new connection
- When i am accessing to FMS from the intranet AND form the internet at the same time.
The second is a bit tricky and conflict with 192.168.1.1 is maybe a clue; suppose you have memorized the distant host when your MacBook was in a remote network; if you are a bit "stressed", you can perfectly connect your server with the wrong favorite that means with a public ip adress instead of its public address although you are in your own LAN.
More tricky : you can perfectly have a bad reference to an external FileMaker datasource which is connecting to the server by its public IP adress / hostname instead of 1. internal's one or, even better, 2. relative path.
So I had this same problem. I had connected to my local in-office FMS14 via a LAN ip and I also had tested using my WAN ip a week or so ago. Both work but lately when I tried to open a second file on the server (all using the LAN ip) I got the license conflict. When I deleted the WAN ip "favorite host" no more conflict.
This problem did not manifest itself when I was connecting in via the WAN host from my home, I assume since the LAN ip was no longer pointing to my server but to that ip on the home LAN that FileMaker did not "see" the server twice.
It is very very difficult to replicate. But now we have it again. I will ask the user to report here.
Btw I saw it my self on his computer on Friday. It happened when he connected to af file on the server, not on opening FileMaker.
I have had similar problems in FMP. The issue I have had is that the launch center will decide to use IPv4 or IPv6 for the server address at random. This shows the exact sam copy of FMP accessing the server in a different way and throws the conflict. You might try disabling IPv4 or IPv6 on the server and all clients.
Why this would happen to an SLA is strange, but I guess it is so. When I sent this in to FMI they said they were aware of the issue and working on it. That was a long time ago.
or use a domain name and DNS (domain name server/system) to resolve the location. yes, even on a closed network. IP address is usually the cause of this type of problem, that domain name can solve. even if you change servers and IP addresses, you can make one change in the DNS and not have to fiddle with anything else.