Summary

Filemaker Pro Advanced

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Macintosh

Description of the issue

Crashes about twice a day and it seems to do it the most when I copy the content of a field and try to paste into it or type over it. Both "select all" and simple highlighting by dragging, give me the same result, but not always.

Then when I try to restart FMP, it gives me a license warning saying that the number of licenses is already being used. I have to wait 15 minutes and try again, then it opens.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Restarting the program and reinstalling the software twice.
      Set the memory cache to 256MB.

Expected result

Stop crashing

Actual result

No change - still crashing 2 - 3 times a day.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro Advanced
          philmodjunk

It would help to identifiy the specific version of the Macintosh OS (10.4, 10.5, 10.6...) and whether or not you are using FileMaker 11.0, 11.02 or 11.03

Basic diagnostic tests to perform when you get frequent crashes:

Does the crash only occur with a specific file?
          Test by creating a small sample file and see if opening it and working with it also generates a crash. If it crashes too, the problem likely lies with the computer or it's installation of FileMaker. If it does not crash, it becomes more likely that there is a problem with the file.

What is reported when you recover the file?
          The file could be damaged.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
          • 2. Re: Filemaker Pro Advanced
            DonnaWelchert

Mac OSX 10.6.8

Filemaker 11 v3

I haven't "recovered" the file, it just quits when it crashes, I wait 10 -15 minutes and restart the program, open the same file and continue to work. sometimes it doesn't happen again the rest of the day, other times it happens a short time later and I have to repeat the quitting and restarting all over again.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro Advanced
              philmodjunk

You should recover the file and perform the tests I've suggested. A crash can damage a file and a damaged file can cause crashes.

Launch FileMaker without opening the file. Select Recover from the File menu and then specify your file as the one to be recovered. The system will tell you if it thinks the file was damaged or not and whether it was able to repair the damage. Even if the recover reports "no problems found", test the recovered copy to see if it still crashes.

If even a smal, test file created "from scratch" crashes, you may have issues with your computer or your specfic installation of Filemaker.