FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.0v3 crashing

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Advanced 11.0v3

Operating system version

Vista Home SP2

Description of the issue

FileMaker intermittently crashes/hangs during development of database's.  By hang, I mean the program is un-responsive for about 5-10min.

I've had this problem off and on for about a year. Initially, I had these plug-in's installed:
      AutoUpdate
      360Works_ScriptMaster
      BaseElements
      Mailit
      myFMbutler_DoScript
      PCFMBooksConnector

While the above plug-in's were installed, FileMaker would crash. After un-installing all plug-in's, FileMaker would hang.
      (intermittently, in both cases)

Today, I re-installed the AutoUpdate plug-in and within a few hours of development time, FileMaker crashed for the first time since I removed this plug-in.
      (other plug-in's installed at this time were: ScriptMaster and a plug-in I built with ScriptMaster)

Steps to reproduce the problem

Crashes are intermittent, I don't know of any way to consistently reproduce.  However, it does seem to crash immediately after I use a keyboard shortcut (not necessarily the same one).

For example, once it crashed after I pressed Ctrl+Shift+D to open Define Database, another time when I pressed Alt > t > c > m to open Manage Custom Menus.

Expected result

don't crash

Actual result

crash

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

FileMaker Pro Advanced has stopped working

Configuration information

I saved the OS error log's related to the most recent crash, I can send them to anyone who's interested. Most of the relevant info from these logs is below:

Error,2011-07-04 9:58:52 AM,Bonjour Service,100,None,388: ERROR: read_msg errno 10054 (An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.)

Error,2011-07-04 9:58:45 AM,Application Error,1000,(100),"Faulting application FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe, version 11.0.3.312, time stamp 0x4d3f6749, faulting module MSVCR90.dll, version 9.0.30729.6161, time stamp 0x4dace5b9, exception code 0xc0000417, fault offset 0x0006ccd5, process id 0x120c, application start time 0x01cc3a4d1d8b087a."

Workaround

Un-install AutoUpdate plug-in, wait 5-10min for FileMaker to respond again.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.0v3 crashing
          philmodjunk

Basic diagnostic tests to perform when you get frequent crashes:

Does the crash only occur with a specific file?

Test by creating a small sample file and see if opening it and working with it also generates a crash. If it crashes too, the problem likely lies with the computer or it's installation of FileMaker. If it does not crash, it becomes more likely that there is a problem with the file.

What is reported when you recover the file?

The file could be damaged.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

Does it always crash when you are doing the same thing with your file?

That may point to a specific layout, script, operation that interacts with your Operating system or other applications...

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.0v3 crashing
            dansmith65

Q. Does the crash only occur with a specific file?

A. I cant say for sure. I spend most of my time developing one solution, and that is also the one I have noticed it crash on lately. I don't remember if it has ever happened while I was working on another file; I will pay attention to this from now on though.

This isn't something that can easily be tested for either, due to the intermmittent nature of it. I have been able to go as long as about a month without a crash/hang occuring, so testing in a separate file for that length of time is not an option. However, I did just spend 10 min. moving around in a different database file, with the AutoUpdate plug-in installed, and it did not crash/hang.

Q. What is reported when you recover the file?

A. Sometimes it reports corruption was found, other times not. I usually go back to the latest backup and re-create all the changes, which is a major pita, and a huge waste of time. Since the database file is only a user-interface file, which contains little/no record data, I have sometimes used the recovered file when it reported no corruption was found.

Q. Does it always crash when you are doing the same thing with your file?

A. I've recently noticed that it may only be happening right after I use some sort of keyboard shortcut. I have not noticed it related to a single database element like a layout/script/etc.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.0v3 crashing
              stevecarter

Dan,

Did you ever come up with a way to solve this problem?  We're having the same issue and Filemaker doesn't seem willing to help.

-Steve

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.0v3 crashing
                philmodjunk

I usually go back to the latest backup and re-create all the changes, which is a major pita, and a huge waste of time.

While not the main reason I set it up. I've taken to using a Saving Sequential Back Ups During Development to save backups every 15 minutes during development. That would reduce the "pita" issue to some degree. (I did this to make it easier to "undo" major design changes should I make one and then change my mind...)

Since the database file is only a user-interface file,...

Hmmm, a user interface file would be linked to other files and thus they will be open at the same time. Have you considered that the trouble lies with hidden damage in one of these other files? This is especially a possibility if you see crashes right after you select Manage | database as references to other files could open any number of other files when you open this particular widgit in a FileMaker system.

My personal experience with FileMaker on XP and Windows 7 has been that 11.03 is very stable and I rarely experience any crashes. Once you've put a recovered copy back in use though, you've opened the door to the possibility that the recover modified the file in some way and now that modification is causing trouble... It's unlikely, since no problems were reported by the recover, but you can't 100% rule out the possibility either...

@Steve,

The causes of crashes are many and often difficult to identify. Did you run the same tests I recommended for Dan? What results did you get?

@Steve and @Dan,

There is a third party product, FMDiff, you can use to check your files over for trouble. It may report an issue that recover misses.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.0v3 crashing
                  dansmith65

@Steve,

No, I have not been able to solve this. My workaround of un-installing AutoUpdate seems to help, but I still have occasional crashes.

@PhilModJunk,

Regarding other files being open if the user-interface file is open. Yes, that's true, but I occasionally replace the data file with a fresh copy from the live server. The data file on my computer is for development purposes only.

To re-answer this question: Does the crash only occur with a specific file?

No. I have spent a decent amount of time developing a few new solutions, and have experienced crashes in these new files.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.0v3 crashing
                    philmodjunk

Yes, that's true, but I occasionally replace the data file with a fresh copy from the live server. The data file on my computer is for development purposes only.

But have you used Recover or a product like FMDiff to also check that file for issues? If it is unstable, then it can trigger crashes and getting new copies from the server could just being acquiring new copies with the same problem.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.0v3 crashing
                      dansmith65

Yes, I have also tried recovering the data file.

I have only tested the trial version of FMDiff; it didn't reveal any hidden issues.

...and, the crashes are not limited to any one or two files.

• 8. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.0v3 crashing
                        dansmith65

I think I'm just going to start posting the error log after FileMaker crashes. I recently called tech support about this and still have not been able to resolve it.

What I was doing when crashed:

Opened a recently closed file, no other files open at the time.

Plug-in's installed:

- no 3rd party plug-ins
                        - Web
                        - xDBC

OS Error Log 1: Application Error

Faulting application FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe, version 11.0.3.312, time stamp 0x4d3f6749, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x00000000, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x2444c700, process id 0x1408, application start time 0x01cc8a06dec4d2d3.

OS Error Log 2: Windows Error Reporting

Fault bucket 2439376495, type 5

Event Name: BEX
                        Response: None
                        Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
                        P1: FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe
                        P2: 11.0.3.312
                        P3: 4d3f6749
                        P4: StackHash_fd00
                        P5: 0.0.0.0
                        P6: 00000000
                        P7: 2444c700
                        P8: c0000005
                        P9: 00000008

• 9. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.0v3 crashing
                          stevecarter

Dan,

We were able to get this resolved, with the help from PhilModJunk.  You need to take your database offline and then use the "recover" function on the file menu.  It will report errors in this very verbose recovery.log file.  It's a tab delimited file so you can parse in excel.

There's a column in the recovery.log file that just has a number in it... mostly zeros... find the rows with non-zeros... like an 9 there's no rhyme or reason to the numbering that I can tell.  just look for the non zeros and that's a problem.  Delete it... what ever it is... a layout, a table, etc.  Don't import whatever you deleted back in from a copy, but from scratch recreate what you deleted.

Plus if you have any broken references, when you run a database design report, like <missing table> or <missing field> they have to either be corrected or deleted.

That seems to work for us... and believe you me... we had a large database and it took us some time to finally get back to where it was working.  We almost gave up on FileMaker.  And I can't tell you how much downtime we had because of it... it makes me sick.

Calling FileMaker support was not useful, to say the least.  When I called and told them FileMaker was crashing and it was faulting in NTDLL.DLL the support tech starting looking stuff up on the Internet and started to tell me all these other applications that crash on the same DLL.  I didn't call to find out what other apps crash in the same way... I want to know why this app that you supposedly support is crashing... geeze.

Use the recover function under the "File" menu.

• 10. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.0v3 crashing
                            dansmith65

Thanks for the advice, Steve. I recovered the database that I was opening durring the last crash, but it found no errors.

• 11. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.0v3 crashing
                              dansmith65

Another crash...  (happened on Oct 27)

Opened a file, no other files open at the time.

Plug-in's installed:

- no 3rd party plug-ins
                              - Web

Faulting application FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe, version 11.0.3.312, time stamp 0x4d3f6749, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6002.18327, time stamp 0x4cb73436, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00066579, process id 0x11d4, application start time 0x01cc94d0ef466604.

OS Error Log 2: Application Error

Faulting application FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe, version 11.0.3.312, time stamp 0x4d3f6749, faulting module DBEngine.dll, version 11.0.3.675, time stamp 0x4d3f5fa3, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000a22cc, process id 0x11d4, application start time 0x01cc94d0ef466604.

• 12. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.0v3 crashing
                                dansmith65

Another crash...  (happened 5 min. ago)

Closed a file that had previously crashed (in the process of manually Recovering it). Running recovery on this file only showed an error with a single Custom Function that was referencing a plug-in (to be expected, since the plug-in wasn't installed).
                                This file performs a script when closing, but the script is very basic and only performs these steps: allow user abort [off], if, exit script, close file, go to layout.  The layout referenced in the 'go to layout' step is completely blank, and has to script triggers.

Plug-in's installed:

- no 3rd party plug-ins
                                - Web
                                (some plug-in's were in the users plug-in directory, but disabled via Edit > Preferences in FileMaker)

Faulting application FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe, version 11.0.3.312, time stamp 0x4d3f6749, faulting module FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe, version 11.0.3.312, time stamp 0x4d3f6749, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x002e094b, process id 0x1af8, application start time 0x01cc99ae0597e670.

OS Error Log 2: Windows Error Reporting

Will leave this log entry out of my posts from here on out, since they only repeat the data from the first error, in a different format.

• 13. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.0v3 crashing
                                  dansmith65

Opened a file. The opening script uses SuperContainer Companion Plugin.

SuperContainer Server was running.

Plug-in's installed:

- SuperContainer Companion
                                  - Web
                                  (some plug-in's were in the users plug-in directory, but disabled via Edit > Preferences in FileMaker)

Faulting application FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe, version 11.0.3.312, time stamp 0x4d3f6749, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x00000000, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x65dc25ff, process id 0x1244, application start time 0x01cca4bbf3a1bc77.

Other Notes:

After opening the file again, FileMaker did not perform automatic repair on the file (I still reverted to the latest backup copy of the file though).

• 14. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.0v3 crashing
                                    dansmith65

Deleting a group of objects on a layout (in layout mode).

Plug-in's installed:

- Web

Faulting application FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe, version 11.0.3.312, time stamp 0x4d3f6749, faulting module FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe, version 11.0.3.312, time stamp 0x4d3f6749, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0009ec50, process id 0xbad8, application start time 0x01ccb9b9416f2a44.

Other Notes:

The group of objects I was deleting is the same group of objects that previously caused Recovery to report corruption. This issue is on the known bugs list: http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/ad61a7e781#comment38551, but there is no mention there of it causing FileMaker to crash.

1 2 Previous Next