1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 7, 2011 10:16 AM by philmodjunk

FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.0v4 Crashes on selection of item in Drop Down List

RobertVinyard

Summary

FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.0v4 Crashes on selection of item in Drop Down List

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Filemaker Pro Advanced 11.0v4 (07-18-2011)

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.7.2 Lion

Description of the issue

Occasionally (read WAY TOO FREQUENTLY FOR A PRODUCT WITH "PRO" OR "ADVANCED" IN ITS NAME), FMP will crash after I've selected an item from a drop-down list field that is based on a field value list.  This is not related to a specific field - it has happened on virtually every drop-down in the DB at one point or other.  Many times the DB opens successfully with no errors found during the consistency check.  Occasionally not.  I've seen a forum post about this sometime or other (can't find it now) and I think the best advice given was to rebuild indices for fields used in value lists.  This is not an acceptable solution.  This particular DB is > 2.25 GB with 137 tables and thousands of fields and manually rebuilding indices is not practical.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Click a field with a drop-down from a field-based value list.  Select an item from the list.  The problem is intermittent and happens for me only once every two or three days of heavy data manipulation/data entry.

Expected result

I would expect the list to be hidden and the field to be populated with the appropriate content, based on the value list.

Actual result

The list appears correctly.  Upon selecting an item, the display hangs for a second or two with the drop-down list still displayed and the item selected, then FMP crashes.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Exact text not available as the screen is not currently displayed.  It is the OS X windows saying that an application has "unexpectedly quit."

Configuration information

Nothing particularly special about the configuration.  The problem is not new with 11.0v4.  It occurred in the same manner in previous 11.x releases.

Workaround

There is no workaround I have found except not to use field-value list-based drop-downs.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.0v4 Crashes on selection of item in Drop Down List
          philmodjunk

Sounds like one or more field indexes are corrupted to some degree. Select a value that encounters the corruption--crash. Select a value that does not encounter the corrupted portion of the index--no crash. The damage you find during the consistency check might be damage produced by the crash.

You might try uisng FileMaker 11's advaced recovery options to rebuild all your field indexes to see if that makes any difference.

1. With the file closed, select Recover from the File Menu.
          2. Select "Use advanced Options"
          3. Select only: "Copy File Blocks as-is" and "Rebuild Field Indexes Now".

However, once you have had crashes and then had to recover the file, there are no guarantees that the file will ever work properly again. The crashes may have damaged the file in ways that recover cannot fully repair. It's best practice to replace your file with an undamaged back up copy if at all possible.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.