Sounds like one or more field indexes are corrupted to some degree. Select a value that encounters the corruption--crash. Select a value that does not encounter the corrupted portion of the index--no crash. The damage you find during the consistency check might be damage produced by the crash.
You might try uisng FileMaker 11's advaced recovery options to rebuild all your field indexes to see if that makes any difference.
- With the file closed, select Recover from the File Menu.
- Select "Use advanced Options"
- Select only: "Copy File Blocks as-is" and "Rebuild Field Indexes Now".
However, once you have had crashes and then had to recover the file, there are no guarantees that the file will ever work properly again. The crashes may have damaged the file in ways that recover cannot fully repair. It's best practice to replace your file with an undamaged back up copy if at all possible.
Things to keep in mind about Recover:
- Recover does not detect all problems
- Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
- Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.