Summary

FileMaker Pro Advanced 12.03 Always Crashes when printing from Script

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OSX

Description of the issue

Filemaker always crashes completely when I run the print command from a script. The problem seesm to be with a particular printer. The printer is set-up and works, but selecting this printer in the print dialog, via a script, causes Filemaker to crash. The printer is a Sharp MX-2610N. Printing directly from Preview is possible.

Steps to reproduce the problem

The problem is consistent

Expected result

Crash

Actual result

Crash

Configuration information

Mac OS X 10.8.2
      Printer: Sharp MX-2610N

Workaround

Disable the print script step, and print from Preview
      Or - Selecting a different printer in the script step seems to work (so far)

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced 12.03 Always Crashes when printing from Script
          RichardStuart

We experienced the same problem here, including when trying to create .pdfs. After much troubleshooting, the solution that worked for us was reinstalling the printer driver. 

I hope that solves the problem for you, too.

Cheers,

Rich

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced 12.03 Always Crashes when printing from Script
            BenedickMiller

Thanks for the help Rich,

you are probably right. I have also had some problems when trying to create PDFs from another solution . It is a bit shocking when Filemaker crashes so suddenly and consistently. I thought it was a nasty bug in my solution, but all the users are all fine, it is only me, the developer, having problems. Is it Filemaker 12 advanced? Is it my Solution? Is it Mountain Lion? I'll probably never know for sure...

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced 12.03 Always Crashes when printing from Script
              RichardStuart

I know what you mean, Benedick--the problem surprised us, too, and really caused a brain hernia because .pdfs were affected as well. 

At first we thought it was Acrobat being a pill; nope; a bug while flashing Apple laptops using Casper; nope; a bug in FMP v12.x; nope, since the problem surfaced in both v11.x and v12.x; the OS? Nope, since the problem occurred in 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8. When the problem also occurred using other apps than FileMaker, then we suspected the printer drivers and reinstalled them. Problem fixed.

What's a real puzzler is how reinstalling the printer driver(s) cures the .pdf problem, too--one would think that when creating .pdfs that FMP wouldn't use a physical printer's driver in the first place to create .pdfs but somewhere in the bowels of computer code evidently it does. Strange.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced 12.03 Always Crashes when printing from Script
                BenedickMiller

well Rich, I guess it is nice to know that I am not alone in this! It has cost me several hours of work so far. I will certainly try reinstalling all my printer drivers, what fun! I still don't think that printer divers should cause such a severe crash in another piece of software, so I must suspect the OS whose job it is to deal with that kind of thing.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced 12.03 Always Crashes when printing from Script
                  philmodjunk

Figuring out why FileMaker is crashing can require some sleuthing to rule out possible issues.

The following can help FileMaker Techs zero in on possible causes of the crash...

Basic diagnostic tests to perform when you get frequent crashes or “hangs”:

Does the crash only occur with a specific file?
                       Test by creating a small sample file and see if opening it and working with it also generates a crash. If it crashes too, the problem likely lies with the computer or it's installation of FileMaker. If it does not crash, it becomes more likely that there is a problem with the file.

To check for possible problems on a specific computer, you may want to run a utility to check out the hard drive and also to check out the user accounts on that computer for possible problems.

What is reported when you recover the file?
                       The file could be damaged. Not only can file damage cause crashes, but the crashes (or forced quits after a "hang") can damage your file. You may need to test a recovered copy to see if it works without crashing.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1.           Recover does not detect all problems
                  3.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
                  5.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

Does it always crash when you are doing the same thing with your file?
                       That may point to a specific layout, script, operation that interacts with your Operating system or other applications...

• 6. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced 12.03 Always Crashes when printing from Script
                    BenedickMiller

Hi PhilModJunk,

thanks for the helpful and infomative answer.

I have managed to solve the problem. How I solved this is outlined below in case anyone is interested. Note that after spending a lot of time trying various options it seems to be a printer specific problem with the Sharp MX-2610N drivers.

The driver that installs automatically seems to be the problem. I tried a few times to reset my print set-up and re-install the printer, by the usual methods, but Filemaker always crashed when printing. I also managed to get Open Office to crash when printing to this printer.

I then found an installer pkg supplied to the company who own the printer and installed that, after re-setting the printing system preferences and before trying to connect to the printer. It now seems to work fine.

This problem has only been on my MacBook Pro, other Macs have had no problem with the printer or the filemaker file. That said the other users in the office did have problems when the printer was first installed, until the vendor supplied them an installer package.

The Sharp MX-2610N is a fine printer but, as far as I can tell, it is not directly supported for Macs. No one is quite sure why it was purchased for a company that only runs Macs!

Problem kind of solved, but I have a bad feeling in case a future printer driver update causes FileMaker to crash again....