FileMaker Pro Advanced Crashes Upon Trying To Change Tab-Order

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Advanced 12.0v4

Operating system version

Windows 7 v6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Description of the issue

I'm working on a rather large system right now, and when I want to modify the tab order on specific layouts found within this sytem, the "Set Tab Order" dialog box will appear, and then FileMaker Pro Advanced will crash on me (prior to the tab-order numbers showing up on fields/buttons on-screen).

Steps to reproduce the problem

1) Open solution (multi-file/data separation)
      2) Navigate to a specific layout
      3) Enter Layout Mode
      4) Layouts/Set Tab Order...

Expected result

"Set Tab Order" Dialog box should appear
      &
      All fields/buttons should receive a numeric representation of their respective tab-orders appearing on-screen for editing purposes

Actual result

"Set Tab Order" dialog box appears, FileMaker Pro Advanced crashes

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

FileMaker Pro Advanced has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. 
      [Close program]

Configuration information

I have reproduced this issue on multiple computers.
      I've tried to do this while files were hosted on FM Server, and offline.  I've saved compacted versions of my files.  The same problem always persists.

Suspecting potential for file corruption (because I don't know what else could cause this kind of problem), I've also tried running "Recover" on backups of these files.  Recover detected no problems in any of the files.

Windows Event Viewer/Applications show an Error Event with ID:  1000

Faulting application name: FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe, version: 12.0.4.403, time stamp: 0x514b6292
      Faulting module name: FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe, version: 12.0.4.403, time stamp: 0x514b6292
      Exception code: 0xc0000005
      Fault offset: 0x00080477
      Faulting process id: 0x1e90
      Faulting application start time: 0x01ce9f48bbb77911
      Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced\FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe
      Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced\FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe
      Report Id: 0c334165-0b3d-11e3-93c8-d4bed9443f0b

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced Crashes Upon Trying To Change Tab-Order
          philmodjunk

I've seen one other report here where changing the tab order produced a crash. I haven't seen this myself, but then changing tab orders isn't a frequently performed task so maybe I"ve just been lucky. (I use 12 on Windows 7.)

If I remember correctly, this is an issue for which others have had trouble reproducing it and it has been difficult to determine cause and effect as damage to your file might produce the crash but your crash can also damage your file....

That said, it would help to run a recover on your file to check it for damage--for both possible reasons.

If you keep Saving Sequential Back Ups During Development, you might also test copies made prior to the crash by recovering them as well.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced Crashes Upon Trying To Change Tab-Order
            mleering

Thanks for your quick response PhilModJunk;
                 I actually saw your response to another individual running into this same problem prior to posting this issue, and so, as noted above, have already tried running "Recover" on all of the files that make up this solution.  No problems were detected within any of these files, and the problem persisted even when using the recovered files.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced Crashes Upon Trying To Change Tab-Order
              philmodjunk

Does this happen all the time or at random intervals?

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced Crashes Upon Trying To Change Tab-Order
                tomasd

Matthew:

If you can repeat the crash again, install Debugging Tools for Windows and open Filemaker exe in it. Here is installation guide.  http://www.sysads.co.uk/2012/05/installing-and-configuring-windbg-windows-debug-tools%E2%80%8F/

Firstly, open Windbg and go to File>Open executable ... search for Filemaker Pro Advanced.exe or Filemaker Pro.exe in your C:/Program files/Filemaker. Then you have to press F5 (Debug>Go) in Windbg until Debug>Go item is disabled. After that you can do actions in Filemaker and when the error occurs, switch to Windbg again (not closing filemaker) and look what errors are logged in window...

The log won't be detailed as we need, because Filemaker debugging symbols are not publicly available, but it can be more specific than Windows error message.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced Crashes Upon Trying To Change Tab-Order
                  mleering

It happens every time I try to change tab-order on 2 of our layouts unfortunately.
                       Other layouts seem to be fine.
                       Here's the relevant output from WinDbg:

ModLoad: 00000000`61860000 00000000`61891000   C:\Windows\SysWOW64\EhStorShell.dll
                            (1b48.2314): Access violation - code c0000005 (first chance)
                            First chance exceptions are reported before any exception handling.
                            This exception may be expected and handled.
                            *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for C:\Program Files (x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced\FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe - 
                            FileMaker_Pro_Advanced!Draco::ScriptStep::operator=+0x7cbd7:
                            013d0477 8b4028          mov     eax,dword ptr [eax+28h] ds:002b:00000028=????????

• 6. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced Crashes Upon Trying To Change Tab-Order
                    tomasd

Some error in Draco::ScriptStep::operator (this is filemaker command).

What is happen if you leave only one field on your problematic layout (and other delete)?

• 7. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced Crashes Upon Trying To Change Tab-Order
                      philmodjunk

If it happens 100% of the time on certain layouts and 0% of the time on all other layouts, that strongly suggest that your layout may be corrupted. Recover does not find all forms of layout or file corruption so this can "slip through" checks with recover at times. This also then is more consistent with the original thread where another user reported this.

And no, this does not rule out the possibility of a bug. I would guess that TS would be interested in examing a copy of your file. so you might take a look at making a clone (empty tables) copy of your file for sending to them if they ask for it.

• 8. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced Crashes Upon Trying To Change Tab-Order
                        mleering

@Tomas - I'm successfully able to edit my tab-order on the layout after deleting all but one of the fields on that layout.  Trying to divide and conquer to find out which of the offending fields it is might prove difficult though... there's a lot of them.  I guess it will at least make it easier to narrow it down since they exist on tabs.  I'll probably try deleting one tab at a time and testing unless you've got a better suggestion.  

@PhilModJunk - I'll gladly provide a cloned copy of my files should TS ask for it.  And yes, I imagine that you're right about Recover not being able to catch all problems with a file.  Have you any suggestions on how to proceed should I solve the tab-order problem?  If I'm able to delete the problem field, and successfully edit my tab-order, I'm immediately going to save compacted copies of the file.  Beyond that though, I'm not sure what else I can do to make sure that all is well with this file.

• 9. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced Crashes Upon Trying To Change Tab-Order
                          philmodjunk

Well, it's not pretty, but you can try creating a brand new version of the problem layout without copy/pasting any objects from one of the layouts where you get this crash. That can take a lot of work, but it may be your only practical solution if this is due to an issue with that layout.

• 10. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced Crashes Upon Trying To Change Tab-Order
                            mleering

Update:
                                 Turns out that I didn't need to delete any fields from the offending layout.
                                 All of the fields on that layout resided within a locked tab-panel control.

I've now unlocked the tab control, and I'm successfully able to edit tab-order without FileMaker Pro Advanced crashing.

• 11. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced Crashes Upon Trying To Change Tab-Order
                              philmodjunk

And that success in itself may be an important clue since that locked tab panel shouldn't cause such a crash...