3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2012 8:11 AM by user15307

Filemaker Pro Advanced install corrupts hd?

marcosx

Summary

Filemaker Pro Advanced install corrupts hd?

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11v4

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.6.7

Description of the issue

Either Filemaker Pro Advanced install is corrupting my hard disk or my 6 month old MacBook Pro is having disk failure.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1st attempt:
      1. Run Filemaker Pro Installer ( note: standard product installer)
      2. Run Filemaker Pro Advanced Update Installer

The updater never found a program to install.  But now my Macintosh is also hosed to the point where "Disk Utility" cannot repair the disk and recommends me to recover as many files as possible and then reformat the disk.

2nd attempt:
      1. I reformatted my disk, checked for errors, no errors
      2. Followed the steps from above in the 1st attempt and got the same results.  Disk corrupted beyond the point of repair.

3rd attempt:
      1. Reformatted disk, checked for errors, no errors
      2. Installed FileMaker Pro
      3. Launched Filemaker pro
      4. Quite Filemaker Pro
      5. Launched the FM Pro Advanced update
      6. Installed worked
      7.  Launched FM Pro Advanced
      8. Quit the application
      9. Launched "Disk Utility" and check for errors, there was an errors but it was repairable.

So my issue is this, it was painful to lose my data from my system but I did have a backup that I could restore to.  In running Disk Utility a few times there is nothing wrong with the disk.  If there is I am still in warranty and Apple would fix it but at the moment they will not see anything wrong with it.

Could somebody at Filemaker try to reproduce this issue?  If it is a FM issue then fine, but otherwise I need to get my laptop into a state where I can reasonably trust it.

Expected result

Not to have a corrupted sik

Actual result

Corrupted disk

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro Advanced install corrupts hd?
          user15307

Chris Berarducci,

Thank you for posting.

There is nothing about a standard FileMaker Pro installation that would corrupt a hard disk.  That doesn't help explain what has been happening, but in order to make sense of it, I'll need some additional information.

They may seem obvious to you, but it will be helpful to confirm some details.

1. What installer are you using for FileMaker Pro? Is it a Disc or Electronic Download?

2  There are two downloads available on the FileMaker.com downloads page to update FileMaker Pro 11.0 to FileMaker Pro 11.0.v4 -- what is the file name of the updater you used?

The installation instructions for this is in the Answer ID 9910  (http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9910).  

I certainly hope that you don't have a bad hard drive on such a new Mac, but this is, unfortunately, not an outrageous possibility.  Please confirm the installers that you have been using and let me know any other details that may help.

Thank you,

TSTuatara

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro Advanced install corrupts hd?
            marcosx

TSTuatara,

The download was electronic and they were both new purchases downloaded from the mail that you send after purchase.

fmp_11.0.4.401b.dmg

fmpa_11.0.4.401b.dmg
            Thanks,
            Chris
            • 3. Re: Filemaker Pro Advanced install corrupts hd?
              user15307

Chris Beraducci,

Thanks for confirming that.

I wouldn't be able to reliably reproduce the issue, given it would require having your exact hardware configuration.  I see no reason why you shouldn't "trust" your Mac any less that one can a piece of hardware…Time Machine exists for a reason.

That said, I do want to review the steps you took on installation once more; at least, as it should have gone:

1. From FileMaker ESD, install FileMaker Pro 11.

2. From FileMaker ESD, upgrade to FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced (prompted for a qualifying key, the License Key from FileMaker Pro 11 will be entered).

3. Run updater: fmpa_11.0.4.401b.dmg

4. Result will be an installation of FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced v 11.0v4 

If you need any additional help, please let me know.

TSTuatara

FileMaker, Inc.