3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2011 1:38 PM by philmodjunk

FileMaker Pro Advanced Server 11.04 crashes clients when using drop down lists in data entry

dyoung1

Summary

FileMaker Pro Advanced Server 11.04 crashes clients when using drop down lists in data entry

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

OS 10.6 Server

Description of the issue

Issue is intermittent. Does not happen every time data is entered using a dropdown list. Does not happen on the same list or field everytime.
      Files are accessed through the server. All client machines are using OS 10.6.8 and FileMaker Pro 11.04 or 11.03. One client machine is using FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.04. At first it appeared to be one dropdown list in one field. Now it happens in any field that uses a drop down. All the dropdowns are custom value files. Some fields are dropdown list and some are pop-up menus.
      Sometimes when client signs back in to FileMaker Pro and try to go to the same record they were on, they get a message that another client is updating the file... only the other client listed is their name.
      The  client with the FileMaker Pro Advanced sometimes gets a message that the serial number is being used by another client. That client is the only one with Advanced loaded on their machine.

Steps to reproduce the problem

When entering data, either tab into the field or place cursor and click the field. List appears. Make selection and computer pauses and then the FileMaker Pro application crashes on the client machine.

Some days the problem doesn't happen at all and other days one client may drop as many as six times. Some days it is one client and another day it may be four clients dropping at various times and at different spots in different layouts.

Happens on multiple layouts utilizing drop down list.

Expected result

Expect to go to next entry field.

Actual result

Application shuts down. Loss of all data entered to that point on the current record.

(Data is not saved until exit the record)

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Don't remember exact text.

Something to the effect of FileMaker Pro has unexpectedly quit.

Configuration information

Have rebuilt the complete database. Problem still occurs.

Workaround

Removed the drop down lists from one layout and made the Fields all Edit box fields. Client has to key all entries.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced Server 11.04 crashes clients when using drop down lists in data entry
          philmodjunk

IF you create a small test file with a drop down list, host it and then test it. Does it crash also?

Have rebuilt the complete database. Problem still occurs.

How exactly did you rebuild the database? Any get copied/imported from the original into the new version? You might even want to export the data from a recovered file into a text file, then import the data from the text file into the rebuilt file.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced Server 11.04 crashes clients when using drop down lists in data entry
            dyoung1

I opened the old file and copied the data list entries and then pasted them into the custom value space in the new database for each dropdown list.

Unfortunately, I did not have an uncorrupted copy of my original database so I started from scratch. I opened a new FileMaker file and copied small portions of each layout. I did numereous Recovers to make sure the new file was not corrupted. I trashed my recovered files and did a Save As a Clone before I started the next session of rebuilding the layouts (in case the next round of changes corrupted the file, I would have a good copy to go back to without having to start all over).

I will try to create a small file and test it as you suggested.

Thanks

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro Advanced Server 11.04 crashes clients when using drop down lists in data entry
              philmodjunk

I would have done the same, making repeated recovers to check for issues, but recover isn't perfect, it might not have caught the issue and thus the copy and paste may have brought the problem from the original file into the new.

Did you ever try any of the other optiosn such as re-indexing the file or saving a compressed copy?

If you have FileMaker 11, you can use Advanced Recovery options to rebuild your file's indexes:

1. With the file closed, select Recover from the File Menu.
              2. Select "Use advanced Options"
              3. Select only: "Copy File Blocks as-is" and "Rebuild Field Indexes Now".

You might also want to try out the recovery method described in this method. It attempts to "clean" the data in your file as part of the recover process:  http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1580/kw/recover%20import