Summary

Filemaker pro crashes when I export

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows XP

Description of the issue

My Filemaker Pro 9 crashes every month or so such that it will not allow me to export.  Everything else seems to work.  I know how to fix this by deleting all the records in one of my old backup working databases (one that exported) and then import the records in from your latest database (the unworking one).  But this is time consuming and I can't keep doing this.  What could be causing this?
      I am using windows XP.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Not sure what causes it.  Maybe just the passage of time, maybe having too many things going on it the background.

Expected result

an exported database

Actual result

white screen of death, a long pause and then the text message show below.  Then it closes filemaker.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

FileMaker Pro.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

please tell microsoft about this problem

Configuration information

see the description

Workaround

See the description.  But this is not a long term solution.  I need to be able to export and be able to count on being able to export without having to "fix" my database.

• 1. Re: Filemaker pro crashes when I export
          philmodjunk

I suggest taking a recent backup copy of your file (one that hasn't crashed) and running a recover on it to see if any problems are reported. Given that you have FileMaker 9, you might even download a 30 day trial of Filemaker 11 and try using it as they upgraded the recover tool, but the file format for version 11 is the same as 9 (and the same all the way back to version 7).

You might find that even your back up copy that you are using has problem. Importing into a clone rebuilds all the indexes so this may fix the problem temporarily until the hiddent damage is somehow encountered and it then munges a key field index--resulting in your crash. This is strictly speculation on my part and I've never seen the internal source code for FileMaker so I may be wrong in this theory, but there's no harm in running a recover to see if there's a hidden problem or not. You can also Use FMDIff, a third party program to check for damage to your file.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.