1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2009 1:27 PM by TSGal

Filemaker Quits When Accessing a Container Field with a Picture

paulprrn

Summary

Filemaker Quits When Accessing a Container Field with a Picture

Description of the issue

This problems happens sporadically when I place an image of the first page of a PDF file in a container field and print a layout associated with the container field.  The problem with this crash is that it corrupts the database and I have to manually reconstruct it.  The following is a crash dump: Process:         FileMaker Pro [131]Path:            /Applications/FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker ProIdentifier:      com.filemaker.client.advancedVersion:         10.0.3 (10.0.3)Code Type:       X86 (Native)Parent Process:  launchd [98] Interval Since Last Report:          101651 secCrashes Since Last Report:           1Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  100593 secPer-App Crashes Since Last Report:   1 Date/Time:       2009-09-11 09:56:31.394 -0700OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)Report Version:  6Anonymous UUID:  C07EC1C4-94A9-43C3-9ECC-D9D1174714E7 Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000007369bed8Crashed Thread:  0 Application Specific Information: Java information: Version: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_19-137 mixed mode, sharing) Virtual Machine version: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_19-137) for macosx-x86, built on May 29 2009 13:21:56 by root with gcc 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465) Exception type: Bus Error (0xa) at pc=0x9513bf70     

• 1. Re: Filemaker Quits When Accessing a Container Field with a Picture
          TSGal

paulprrn:

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, the crash dump doesn't provide a lot of information.

Do you notice if this occurs with an image in a specific record?  Are other users accessing this file through the network or Instant Web Publishing?

Any additional information you can provide may be helpful in determining possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Filemaker Quits When Accessing a Container Field with a Picture
            paulprrn

I am not sure what additionally I can provide.  I do have the complete crash dump.  However, it is more than 20K characters which is the size limit for a post.

Reconstruction of the database and running the application again, printing the same record causes FileMaker to crash. 

I may have created literally hundreds of images using this process:  If the file is word or excel, using Applescript I open the file with pages or numbers and save it as a PDF file (converts to PDF when saved with a .pdf extension).  I use this technique because it handles both earlier versions of Microsoft Office and Office 2007.  I then, using FileMaker script steps "Go to Field picture_field" (a container field) and "Insert Picture filemac:picturefilename.pdf" to insert the first page of the PDF file into the container field.  As I mentioned, this process may run a 1000 times before I run into an image that crashes Filemaker.  And the Filemaker crash totally corrupts the database.  A recover renders the database application unusable and I have to manually reconstruct the database application from the recovered database application which can take a couple of hours.  During this time the production application is down and I get screams from my users.

I need a procedure that, at a minimum, avoids the crash.  Is there some characteristic of the image that I can detect the corruption before trying to print it?  Is there some Filemaker service that can check this before causing it to crash Filemaker? It is my humble opinion that any Filemaker executed script step that results in crashing Filemaker and/or corrupting the database is a bug and should warrant your attention.

There is only one user accessing the application.

You are not specific enough on the information that would be helpful to you.  I do have the crashed and recovered database files associated with this crash.  Would this be helpful to you? 

Your prompt attention to this matter is greatly appreciated. 

• 3. Re: Filemaker Quits When Accessing a Container Field with a Picture
              davidanders

This problems happens sporadically when I place an image of the first page of a PDF file in a container field and print a layout associated with the container field.  The problem with this crash is that it corrupts the database and I have to manually reconstruct it.

The image placed on the first page of a PDF is created where?

Can you test with a known good image?    TIFF? JPEG? GIF? other?

Placing the image is done in what program and the PDF is created how?

PDF creation as in option in the application or an OS level print PDF utility? 

Printing the layout in Layout mode or Browse Mode? 

• 4. Re: Filemaker Quits When Accessing a Container Field with a Picture
                paulprrn

daviddanders,

In Response To:  The image placed on the first page of a PDF is created where? 

The PDF file is created using Applescript to open an Excel spreadsheet and save it as PDF using Numbers.

In Response To:  Can you test with a know good image?  TIFF? JPEG?  GIF?  other?

This script runs hundreds of times during the day using the same script step to place images in the container.  I have not found a way, using Applescript embedded in Filemaker to create other image types.  Maybe you can recommend an alternative method.

In Response To:  Placing the image is done in what program and the PDF is created how?

Placing the image is done in a FileMaker using the script step "Insert Picture".  The PDF is created using Applescript to open an Excel spreadsheet and save it as a PDF file using Numbers.

In Response To:  PDF creation as in option in the application or an OS level print PDF utility?

Numbers, using Applescript, allows one to open a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet file and save it with a .pdf extension to convert it to a PDF file.

In Response To:  Print the layout in Layout mode or Browse Mode?

The layout is printed in Browse Mode.  I am not aware of a "Layout" mode. 

• 5. Re: Filemaker Quits When Accessing a Container Field with a Picture
                  TSGal

paulprrn:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

Yes, I would like to see the crash dump as well as the database file(s).  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send these files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Filemaker Quits When Accessing a Container Field with a Picture
                    paulprrn

TSGal,

I am sorry for taking so long to reply.  Been traveling on another project.  I have sent you a file with a script that causes the crash along with the crash dump along with the information requested in your message.

Thank you very much for your help. 

• 7. Re: Filemaker Quits When Accessing a Container Field with a Picture
                      alfontso

I have a similar issue when generating a PDF file from Indesign CS3 or 4 where the pages being generated already contain multiple levels of PF files containing other graphics. CS3 and 4 both crash when a particular page is reached during the PDF creation process. I believe this FMP issue is similar in that an image containing multiple re-imaged PDF files is in use and being referenced. Furthermore, the problem appears to be exacerbated if the PDF image contains faulty or missing fonts.

I have a feeling that this is a PDF limitation issue and not a Filemaker or CS3 issue. This problem of multi-layered embedded eps (PDF basic format) images goes way back into antiquity and was a no no back in the late 80's with Illustrator V1 etc.

I have also posted that my eps images have vanished from Filemaker 10.03 since I installed OSX 10.6 two weeks ago. The same eps files were working in FMP 10.03 before the OS update, but the crashing CS3/4 issue was already present back then.

There is also the issue of the level of PDF you are generating. Smallest file size may appear fine on screen but not have the data embedded for printing. Take a look at the PDF settings used to generate the files from Excel etc. Make sure they are on at least High Quality Print with fonts embedded.

The pioneers gets the arrows... 

• 8. Re: Filemaker Quits When Accessing a Container Field with a Picture
                        TSGal

paulprrn:

I have received your file, and I am able to duplicate the problem.

Clarification to others... This is a one-page PDF file.  Nothing appears out of the ordinary.  It does print fine from both Preview and Adobe Reader.  It crashes on both Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard) and Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard).

I have sent the file to our Software Quality Assurance (Testing) team to determine why FileMaker is crashing.  This may take a couple of days, but I will keep everyone posted.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: Filemaker Quits When Accessing a Container Field with a Picture
                          paulprrn

Has there been any progress on this issue?

Thanks.. 

• 10. Re: Filemaker Quits When Accessing a Container Field with a Picture
                            TSGal

paulprrn:

As I look over the case notes, our testers have been able to duplicate the problem, and Development is looking into it.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 11. Re: Filemaker Quits When Accessing a Container Field with a Picture
                              paulprrn

TsGal,

Ending out the week.  Just checking on progress.  I had hoped to get some resolution by now so that I could deploy my application over the weekend.  Looks like this is not to be.  Will be traveling next week.  So, will check back in when I return. 

• 12. Re: Filemaker Quits When Accessing a Container Field with a Picture
                                TSGal

paulprrn:

Since the file is saved through Pages and Numbers that originated from Microsoft Word and Excel, what occurs when you save from either Microsoft Word or Excel directly to PDF (without going through Pages and/or Numbers)?  We're trying to narrow down the problem further.

Our testers mentioned that the PDF file shows it was created by a third-party application iText 1.4.  Is this one of the files created by Numbers/Pages?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 13. Re: Filemaker Quits When Accessing a Container Field with a Picture
                                  paulprrn

TSGal,

The file is created using Applescript directing Numbers to open a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet and save it as a PDF file using the following Applescript:

-- 

-- Convert Excel File to PDF 

-- 

setrfqFileto "... REQUEST.xls"

setrfqSaveFileto "... REQUEST.pdf"

tellapplication "Numbers"

open file rfqFile

set product to front document

save product in rfqSaveFile

close product saving no

quit

end tell 

Note that rfqFile and rfqSavefile are fully qualified file names, I redacted the names because the information is sensitive.  This technique supports just about all the versions of Excel.  I am not aware of a procedure, using my current version of Microsoft Word or Excel to create a PDF file.  Save As from Microsoft Excel does not seem to support PDF format (is supports formats like CVS).  This is why I had to use Numbers.  So if you know of an applescript for Excel I don't know how to do this.

• 14. Re: Filemaker Quits When Accessing a Container Field with a Picture
                                    paulprrn

TSGal,

I noticed that you said that Numbers uses iText 1.4 to perform the conversion.  I looked up this product and found that the current version is 2.1.7.  I don't know if this is the problem, nor if I downloaded the current version that Numbers would use it for the conversion.  Since it is a library I suspect that it would require rebuilding Numbers. 

paulprrn 

1 2 Previous Next