FileMaker Server 11v3 on OS X 10.6.7 Crash

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

11v3

Operating system version

OS X 10.6.7

Description of the issue

We experienced a crash of FileMaker Server 11v3 on Tuesday.  I have a crashlog I can submit for analysis.  There were no scripts or backups happening at the time, no problems listed in FileMaker or server logs other than the crashlog, and no issues with the physical system.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Run FileMaker Server

Expected result

No crashing

Actual result

Unexpected crash

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

I can submit a system crashlog for analysis

Workaround

No workaround

• 1. Re: FileMaker Server 11v3 on OS X 10.6.7 Crash
          PointInSpace

FYI, make that OS X Server 10.6.7

• 2. Re: FileMaker Server 11v3 on OS X 10.6.7 Crash
            TSGal

JohnMay:

Thank you for your post.

Can you tell me more about the server?  Does this type of crash happen frequently?  If not, how long was FileMaker Server running before the unexpected crash?  Are you running Instant Web Publishing?  Custom Web Publishing?  Is ODBC/JDBC enabled?  How many people were accessing the server at the time of the crash?  Is everything on one machine, or do you have a separate web server?

Please check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the crash log.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Server 11v3 on OS X 10.6.7 Crash
              PointInSpace

Not sure what else you need to know?  This was the first time this crash happened.  I can't say how long the server was running, assumedly a good amount of time (at least a month).  All services are enabled.  It is a shared server, so was hosting a good number of databases and clients.  It runs as a 2 machine system, with the WPE + FMS on one machine and web server on the other.  Crash log has been sent.

- John

• 4. Re: FileMaker Server 11v3 on OS X 10.6.7 Crash
                TSGal

JohnMay:

I received your crash log.  Thank you.

Upon initial glance, I see thread 22 crashed, and the details shows data being backed up failing.  Do you now get the same crash nightly, or was this a one time occurrence?  Does the event log show the backup schedule starting AND ending?  Is it possible you have a damaged file?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the cause.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Server 11v3 on OS X 10.6.7 Crash
                  PointInSpace

This appears to be the last log line before the crash:

2011-06-21 00:09:53.020 -0700 Error 702 dbfms10.pointinspace.com Backup of ERI_Contacts failed due to lock conflict with database users or other error. (8003)

We haven't seen the crash happen again, and didn't end up with any damaged files.

Let me know if I can provide any further info.

- John

• 6. Re: FileMaker Server 11v3 on OS X 10.6.7 Crash
                    TSGal

JohnMay:

Thanks for the log information.  It appears a record was locked during the time of backup.  However, it should not have crashed.

Another report was filed under similar circumstances, and it relates to forum posting:

Error on back-up after FMSA 11.0.3.30 Update

Please keep me updated if this happens again.  Our Development and Testing departments are still investigating the cause to the original posting.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Server 11v3 on OS X 10.6.7 Crash
                      PointInSpace

OK, I'll let you know if we see any further occurrences.  Thanks!

- John

• 8. Re: FileMaker Server 11v3 on OS X 10.6.7 Crash
                        PaulTurnbull

We just had a similar crash:

FileMaker Server: 11.0.2.217

Mac OS X Server: 10.6.7

Web Server w/PHP enabled

IWP,XML,XSLT disabled

ODBC enabled

Server had been up for ~3.5 days, prior to that it had been up for months. We rebooted the server last week while doing routine maintenance.

We run a daily backup schedule and half hourly backups from 6AM to 6PM keeping only 24. The crash occurred early in a half hourly schedule that did not complete. The log shows it starting but nothing after that point. We rolled back to the previous good backup and it's been stable since then.

Database is 15 files with a about 12GB of data.

I do have the crash log and can send it to you.

-

Paul Turnbull

United Nurses of Alberta

• 9. Re: FileMaker Server 11v3 on OS X 10.6.7 Crash
                          TSGal

Paul Turnbull:

Thank you for your post.

I would like to see your crash log, as this may help identify the cause.  Please check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

On a side note, you may want to also update to FileMaker Server 11.0v3.  You can download this directly from:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9283

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: FileMaker Server 11v3 on OS X 10.6.7 Crash
                            TSGal

Paul Turnbull:

I received your log file.  Thank you.

I see that thread 87 failed, but it is inconclusive as to the cause.  It mentions the dbengine which could signify there was something encountered with a database file that wasn't expected (possibly corrupt).  Have you had any reports from guests if a database file was closing?  If you run the backup manually, does it work properly?

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FileMaker Server 11v3 on OS X 10.6.7 Crash
                              PaulTurnbull

We didn't have any reports from users of anything unusual other than the sudden disconnect. After the roll back the scheduled backups have been running fine. The crash occurred while backing up our largest file (5.48GB).

I have the files that were open when the fmserverd crashed and tonight I can bring them up on our Dev Server to see if the verify, open and whether or not they backup fine. The caveat is that the Dev server is on v11.3 while our Production Server is still on v11.2.

Since we haven't had any problems on Dev I am considering upgrading Production this week.

Thanks

• 12. Re: FileMaker Server 11v3 on OS X 10.6.7 Crash
                                TSGal

Paul Turnbull:

Thank you for the additional information.

These types of problems are also frustrating to us, since the crash doesn't occur consistently.  Please keep an eye on this, and if it occurs again, try and obtain as much information the clients what they were doing at the time.

Thanks for testing the verify, open and backup for each of the files individually.  If any file fails, please let me know.

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.