3 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2014 9:07 AM by tduell_1

FileMaker Server 13 Doesn't Close Databases.

tduell_1

Summary

FileMaker Server 13 Doesn't Close Databases.

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

OS 10.9

Description of the issue

FileMaker Server does not close databases and host files that are removed from the server.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. Click a file to close.
      2. Click the close button.

-------------
      1. Stop FileMaker Server.
      2. Manually delete the database from the Databases folder.
      3. Restart the entire server (not just FileMaker Server)

Expected result

Database should be closed.
      --------
      Database should be removed from being hosted.

Actual result

Database is still open.
      ------
      Database cannot be found on the server in either the Databases or Removed folder, yet FileMaker Pro clients can still open the files and use them!

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

The attached uploaded image shows FileMaker Server on the left and the databases that are being hosted. The middle image shows a FileMaker Pro client accessing the server with 5 database files that can be accessed that are NOT supposed to be hosted. The right image shows the Databases and Removed folders - the databases are no longer on the server and should NOT be hosted.

FMS13Bug.png

• 1. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Doesn't Close Databases.
          TSGal

tduell:

Thank you for your post.

If I remove files manually rather than using "Remove" from Admin Console, I also get the same results as you.

When a file is opened, a temporary file is also created.  When you manually remove the file, the temporary file remains, and the reference to the file remains in the Admin Console.  Therefore, you should use "Remove" in Admin Console to remove all traces of the file.  See page 108 of the FileMaker Server Help manual at:

https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/13/en/fms13_help.pdf

On my end after manually removing the file, when I restart the Database Server, all my file references are then updated to reflect the correct information.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Doesn't Close Databases.
            tduell_1

Therein lies the problem - the admin console won't stop any of the databases, so I can't click the remove button either. Therefore, I stopped the service and manually removed the databases from the Databases folder, then restarted the entire server. The databases cannot be found on the server anywhere because I emptied the trash. They also don't show in the Admin console, but a FileMaker Pro client can still see them and open them. This is a very odd behavior and I have no way to "stop" or "remove" a database that FileMaker Server doesn't display. Any suggestions?

• 3. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Doesn't Close Databases.
              tduell_1

I resorted to using the command line fmsadmin CLOSE and fmsadmin REMOVE to force FileMaker Server to close and remove the databases. The interesting thing is the CLOSE actually closed the database, but remove threw error 20405, which is "file not found". Therefore, FileMaker Server knew the databases didn't exist on the server, but was hosting them anyway even though the server was completely restarted after the database were manually removed and the trash was emptied.

So, my particular issue is resolved for now to remove the databases, but there is another larger looming bug with FIleMaker Server refusing to stop databases or remove database and hosting files that don't exist.