Filemaker Server 13 Hangs when adding or modifying fields in schema

MauriceA

Summary

Filemaker Server 13 Hangs when adding or modifying fields in schema

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Windows Server 2008 R2 (Windows Hyper V Environment)

Description of the issue

Ever since we upgraded from FM/FMS12 to 13 whenever I make any field changes (in any of my solution files) as soon as filemaker starts to update the database records after committing the change it hangs and my screen goes white. All clients then freeze and the only way to remedy this is to forcefully disconnect all clients and try to close all files but this doesn't work and the Filemaker server seems hung. I then have to restart the server. After the server is rebooted and the files are back up the field change is present. We have monitored the server during this hang and don't see any noticeable performance issues. This Virtual machine has plenty of resources and as I said this never happened with FMS 12. On average there are about 25 active users at any one time when this happens. I have noticed that If there are less than 9 or so users the problem does not happen.

Steps to reproduce the problem

With many users connected try adding a new field to an existing file then upon clicking OK to close the field dialog window filemaker 13 client will hang.

Configuration information

Filemaker Server 13. 12GB Ram, Dual processor, Windows Server 2008 R2 running in Hyper-V. Host machine has SAS 15K Raid 5 drive array.

Workaround

On average there are about 25 active users at any one time when this happens. I have noticed that If there are less than 9 or so users the problem does not happen.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Server 13 Hangs when adding or modifying fields in schema
          TSGal

Maurice Ades:

Thank you for your post.

In general, you should not make schema changes to an active hosted file.  Depending what the clients are doing (e.g., updating records without commits) could affect the time for those schema changes to be saved.  You may want to consider sending a message to all users to log off for the next "x" minutes for maintenance so the changes can be updated quickly.  Or, if you don't want to temporarily disconnect users, send a message for everyone to return to a "home" page where all data is committed.  Then, make the changes and send another message to continue as before.  Ideally, you should make schema changes locally.  Then, close the hosted file, upload the changed file, and open it with Server.

Performance could also be affected by anti-virus software or other backup software on the server.  Try disabling these applications.

Go into System Information (msinfo32) To see what other applications are running on the server, and also run this on your local machine.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.