Summary

FileMaker Server 13 Restart Issues

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.9.5

Description of the issue

When the computer is restarted, FileMaker Server 13 does not always return to a usable state.
      There are several possible outcomes:
      1) Web server does not start
      2) Admin Console cannot be found, so you cannot start it to check whether the web server is running ( other than to try one of the functions that uses the web server to find it is not working )
      3) Return to normal operation

The server is on UPS, but there are those times when the power is off long enough for those to fail, so this will happen again and it would be beneficial to all for option 3 to be the outcome.

Notifications are turned off, which solved issue 2 for the most part, but the latest episode proved me wrong, as the initial restart caused issue 1, followed by issue 2 on restart 2, a return to issue 1 on restart 3, and finally the desirable result on restart 4.

Unfortunately that is not going to be an acceptable game to have to play should the server need a restart, or come upon one unexpectedly.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Install FileMaker Server 13 on a stock Mac Mini, upgrade it to version 13.0.4.400, disable notifications.

Expected result

Based on last three 'episodes' there is a 25% chance for this to happen.
      If the server restarts, all FileMaker functionality will be available and running.

Actual result

Based on last three 'episodes' there is a 75% chance for this to happen.
      FileMaker functionality is compromised. Either the web server fails, or the admin console cannot be loaded.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

1) All web server activity fails ( local machines rely on URL resources to be available to FileMaker so data can be imported/exported )
      2) attempting to load the admin console results in the browser displaying that the URL cannot be found

Workaround

Spin again until you're a winner.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Restart Issues
          TSGal

ZoXo:

Thank you for your post.

We have seen instances of FileMaker Server 13 under Mac OS X 10.9 not starting automatically if Spotlight reindexes and in some cases if FileMaker Server was installed under a non-default user.  Our testers have been able to reproduce this.  The workaround is to start FileMaker Server manually.  That is, after relaunch, manually run from the command line:

sudo launchctl start com.filemaker.fms

Our Testers have not been able to replicate the issue under Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite).

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Restart Issues
            Markus Schneider

Very good news! Does this mean that FMS13 is running fine under 10.10? (The compatibility documents lists FMS as not compatible with 10.10)

• 3. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Restart Issues
              TSGal

markus schneider:

Sorry for the confusion.

At this time, the current version of FileMaker Server (13.0v4) is not certified to run under Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite).  There are issue with the Admin Console and the Web Server not working.  For complete information, see Knowledge Base Article #13966 at:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13966

However, the testers who were looking at this Restart issue with Mavericks have been unable to replicate the issue under Mac OS X 10.10.  There is no information available if/when FileMaker Server 13 will be certified to work with Mac OS X 10.10.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Restart Issues
                ZoXo

That was the other part I did not mention, Spotlight has been turned off per the suggestion.  So from what you are saying, FileMaker Server 13 has known issues with Mavericks, and is not yet compatible with Yosemite, Apple doesn't ship it's software anymore, so I will have to figure out how to move the OS back to Mountain Lion to insure that a power outage will not interrupt the ability of the system to function correctly without a babysitter?

• 5. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Restart Issues
                  ZoXo

Well, the restart issue is definitely back with Server 13 v5 and OS X 10.10.  I cannot successfully get my files to open, so I'm going the route of trying to upload them via the app as is now the procedure.  The app REFUSES to acknowledge the server and therefore will not upload the files.  In addition, I had to turn on spotlight indexing to even allow updating of the FileMaker app, and then turn if off again so server will startup.  In this case, I had to go through an update for Yosemite which took close to 6 hours to complete due to the server having Mavericks installed and exhibiting the SLOWEST performance I have ever seen on a mac in all the years I have worked on them.  Installing the update to FileMaker Server 13 v3 and then to v5 took 3 hours, even after spotlight indexing was turned off.  I am working on a stock mini with NO third party apps except for FileMaker Server and FileMaker.  The java update included with the FileMaker install refused to finish for over an hour, I ended up having to download it from the website and use their installer, as the FileMaker Server portion that attempted to install it ended up crashing.  Finally, after 10 attempts to install, FileMaker server finally acknowledged that it cannot upload the files because there is another version of FileMaker server installed with the same license key.  WHAT????  This has happened to me twice now, not sure why doing an update causes Server to think it was installed again?? Hopefully this will solve the issue like it did last time.  Well, so far it didn't.........

FileMaker, what is going on with you and Apple?  This shouldn't be such a pain, should it?  I have not had one successful installation of FileMaker Server 13 yet that just worked as advertised.  1 out of 5 stars so far........

• 6. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Restart Issues
                    ZoXo

And to boot, Yosemite, now installed on a stock mini, with only FileMaker Server and FileMaker installed runs like a total dog.  Spotlight indexing is off, notifications are off.  Apps take minutes to even launch.  Based upon all the posts I've scoured related to this problem, am I to assume that the third party software that is causing this issue is FileMaker itself?  FileMaker app is now crashing as well, so I'm really not liking this version today.  Thankfully I can still develop with version 12 on Snow Leopard and enjoy weeks and even months of no crashes or issues whatsoever.  I'm very worried about that coming to an end......

• 7. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Restart Issues
                      ZoXo

OK, so got the files to FINALLY upload, but server again refuses to open them, with no acknowledgment of why.  Did not change anything, so not sure why this is so arbitrary.  Going to uninstall and reinstall server and will post the results.

• 8. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Restart Issues
                        ZoXo

Uninstalling FileMaker Server is not possible because the access privileges to do so are not correct.  Oh boy, so now I'm repairing permissions again. Server 12 ran successfully since the installation of this server, but once we upgraded to Server 13, permissions issues have plagued it ever since.  Again, FileMaker is the ONLY 3rd party software in the bunch here.  Three cheers for 13!......

• 9. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Restart Issues
                          TSGal

ZoXo:

I recommend removing FileMaker Server 13.  Once removed, install FileMaker Server 13.0v5 full version.  You can either download the trial or contact our Technical Support department directly at toll-free 800-325-2747 if you are located in North America.  Since you are having so much difficulty with the installation of FileMaker Server, I would suggest calling Technical Support since customers are not charged for installation calls.  They will be able to walk you through the process, and checking your system as it progresses.

If you are located outside of North America, then contact the FileMaker office nearest you.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: FileMaker Server 13 Restart Issues
                            ZoXo

Thanks TSGal, I do have a copy of v5 full version and am uploading it to that server now.  Hopefully that will make things right.

Fingers crossed.....