NigelP

Summary

FileMaker Server 13v5 breaks interactive PDFs

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

13v5

Description of the issue

The update to v5 has caused interactive PDFs to no longer show up. PDFs set to show as images still show however. If you open the browser's error console you'll see 400 errors for the request of the PDF file.

If you set the container field to be non-interactive it will show, and if you connect to the database using FileMaker Pro then the interactive PDF works fine.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a layout with an interactive container containing a PDF. Connect to the database via WebDirect and go to the layout.

Expected result

The interactive PDF should display.

Actual result

The container shows only grey. This is the same grey that temporarily shows up right before the PDF is displayed when using FileMaker Pro.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Browser 400 Error: http://[Server]/Streaming/MainDB/FM-041B7DC9-6E47-4A3F-8130-F58BC02DC9F8.pdf

The errors originate from the PDF being requested via a GET request from content.js

• 1. Re: FileMaker Server 13v5 breaks interactive PDFs
          TSGal

Nigel P:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. I created a table with a Container field named "Container".

2. On the Layout, I formatted "Container" for Interactive content.

3. I turned on Network Sharing and configured for WebDirect.

4. I uploaded the file to FileMaker Server 13.0v5 on a Mac OS X 10.9.5 machine.

5. I opened the file remotely, added a record, and inserted a multi-page PDF document into "Container".

6. On a Mac OS X 10.10.1 machine, I launched Safari (8.0), and accessed the file via WebDirect.

The PDF file shows in WebDirect.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Server 13v5 breaks interactive PDFs
            NigelP

TSGal:

Thanks for trying to replicate the issue. Unfortunately it's still not working (Safari or Chrome). Everyone connecting to the database is having this issue (on various computers including Windows).

Here's the error from Safari:

Failed to load resource: The requested URL was not found on this server. http://[Server]/Streaming/MainDB/FM-77B608DB-0D9C-455A-ACFF-02794D39DBB7.pdf

All the evidence seems to indicate that it's a server issue. It seems like something is either stopping the file from being created on the server or blocking access to it. Someone else runs the server, so is there anything I should tell them to look for regarding WebDirect (disabled options, blocked ports, permissions, error logs, etc)?

• 3. Re: FileMaker Server 13v5 breaks interactive PDFs
              TSGal

Nigel P:

Check to make sure all the necessary ports are open on the server.  This can be found in Knowledge Base Article #12120:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12120

Check the FileMaker Server event log at the time this occurred, as this will give an error when trying to access the file.  That error will let me know if it is a privilege issue or the file is missing.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Server 13v5 breaks interactive PDFs
                greenlion
                Our server host updated our server to 13v5 last night and now today we are experiencing this same issue.  All PDF's are set to interactive, and we had no issues viewing these in WebDirect previously. Has there been any more development on this issue, or setting that were figured out? Much appreciated. Jason
                • 5. Re: FileMaker Server 13v5 breaks interactive PDFs
                  TSGal

Jason Shmyr:

Thank you for your post.

Were any changes made to the operating system?  Is FileMaker Server running under Mac OS X or Windows?  What version of the operating system?

Are the Container fields set for external storage?  If you copy the database to your local machine, do the Container fields display?

Check to make sure all the necessary ports are open.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Server 13v5 breaks interactive PDFs
                    NigelP

My host has put some work into this and has managed to figure this out. This does indeed seem to be a bug, but the critical thing is that it only shows up in configurations where FileMaker Server is deployed with the Web Publishing Engine/Web Server on a separate machine (master/worker setup). It disappears if the database is hosted on a single-machine setup, and if v5 has only been tested under a single-machine configuration then it explains why this bug hasn't been recognized yet. Hopefully with that extra info a patch will be in the works soon. A single-machine configuration is much slower for us over WebDirect, so we're forced to decide between very slow speed vs no interactive PDFs.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Server 13v5 breaks interactive PDFs
                      TSGal

Nigel P:

What are the two server machines being used for FileMaker Server?  Windows and/or Mac?  What versions of the operating system?

Are the necessary ports open between the two machines?  We will set up similar machines here to test.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FileMaker Server 13v5 breaks interactive PDFs
                        NigelP

TSGal:

The server is Mac OSX 10.10.

Some more details have also come to light, and looks like there's a workaround...

So this issue occurs if you have the Web Publishing Engine on a different machine, are using wildcard certificates, and also have Require Secure Connections with Progressive Downloads enabled. That specific combination seems to cause this issue, and disabling progressive downloads seems to do the trick.

• 9. Re: FileMaker Server 13v5 breaks interactive PDFs
                          TSGal

Nigel P:

Thank you for the additional information.

Regarding "... using wildcard certificates".  Can you be more specific?  The only certificates that we currently support can be found in Knowledge Base Article #11413:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11413

If you are using a supported certificate, let me know, and I'll have one of our Support Technicians set up a similar configuration.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: FileMaker Server 13v5 breaks interactive PDFs
                            NigelP

TSGal:

Unfortunately I can't be more specific about that because I'm passing on info from the host. They said that they were told about the wildcards from someone at FileMaker support so I included that as a factor, but yes from what I know they're using certificates that are supported (and they've been hosting for many years). To me it seems like the configuration and progressive downloads are probably the more critical parts of the equation, and apparently turning off progressive downloads works in this case.

• 11. Re: FileMaker Server 13v5 breaks interactive PDFs
                              TSGal

Nigel P:

The information has been given to the Support Technician who will set up a two-machine configuration.  I'll let you know when I have the results.

TSGal
                              FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: FileMaker Server 13v5 breaks interactive PDFs
                                TSGal

Nigel P:

Sorry for the late reply, but we have been unsuccessful in setting up a two-machine configuration for Web Direct.  Therefore, we have sent all of your information to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: FileMaker Server 13v5 breaks interactive PDFs
                                  TSGal

Nigel P:

Testing has not been able to reproduce the issue.  The PDF's are displaying without issue on a two-machine configuration.

Testing would like to know what version of FileMaker Server 13 did you upgrade from?  13.0v3?  13.0v4?

One suggestion is to uninstall FileMaker Server, and then install FileMaker Server 13.0v5 directly (no updater).

TSGal
                                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: FileMaker Server 13v5 breaks interactive PDFs
                                    TSGal

Nigel P:

Testing would like to get the httpd-proxy.conf file from the worker machine.  You will find it under FileMaker Server -> HTTP Server -> con -> extra -> httpd-proxy.conf

Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send this file.

Testing would also like to know if you upgraded to FileMaker Server 13.0v5 or installed FileMaker Server 13.0v5 directly.

TSGal
                                    FileMaker, Inc.