FileMaker Server 14v2 removes SSL certs

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

14v2

Operating system version

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard

Description of the issue

When updating to v2 the "FMI Default Certificate" is removed from IIS and WebDirect stops working over https.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Install FileMaker Server 14v1 and update to v2.

Expected result

That "FMI Default Certificate" remains.

Actual result

"FMI Default Certificate" gets removed.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Server 14v2 removes SSL certs
          robe

Any ideas anyone? This issue seems to be related to this post too:

https://community.filemaker.com/thread/85122

• 2. Re: FileMaker Server 14v2 removes SSL certs

mvRobert:

Thank you for the post. 

I am not able to replicate. On our Windows Server 2012 R2 environment, I updated FileMaker Server 14.0.1 with our default SSL enabled, using the FileMaker Server 14.0.2 updater and the default certificate remains. 

To confirm, after the update, our certificate is gone from the following location? 

Windows: [drive]:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\CStore\

Is this a single machine or two machine deployment?

If the certificate is completely gone, then to get the certificate back, the recommendation would be to uninstall and reinstall with the full FileMaker Server 14.0.2 installer located in your store purchase email. 

Please note: “Warning: The standard FileMaker SSL certificate installed by default on this server is available for test purposes only.

A custom SSL certificate is required for production use. Obtain a custom SSL certificate from a Certificate Authority (CA) supported by FileMaker.”

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Server 14v2 removes SSL certs
              philmodjunk

Since they need that certificate anyway, couldn't they just go forward and install the needed certificate?

• 4. Re: FileMaker Server 14v2 removes SSL certs

@PhilModJunk:

Thank you for the reply. 

My understanding is that FileMaker’s default SSL certificate is being used. This is not recommended beyond testing; however, if using our SSL certificate, then the certificate is installed during the installation of FileMaker Server 14. 

mvRobert is reporting updating to FileMaker Server 14.0.2 erased our default certificate. I was not able to replicate this behavior, but if updating erased the certificate, then reinstalling would be the quickest way to retrieve the missing certificate. 

If the ultimate goal is to install a custom certificate, then that is also an option that would not require reinstalling. Additionally, here is a useful knowledge base article about FileMaker and SSL:

FileMaker Network Security and SSL - Overview

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Server 14v2 removes SSL certs
                  robe

@TSFalcon

I did not check if it was missing at Windows: [drive]:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\CStore\ but it was missing in "Bindings" in IIS. There was also an error in Event log, see attached screen dump.