14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2009 8:21 PM by user14360

FileMaker Server Admin won't start

PointInSpace

Summary

FileMaker Server Admin won't start

Description of the issue

Just did the latest updates to OS X 10.5 today, and now FileMaker Server Admin, on both FMSA9 and FMSA10, won't start any longer.  If I go to http://servername:16000 then click on the server admin link, it asks to start in Java Web Start, then just opens the .jnlp file in TextEdit.Anyone else seeing this?  Any ideas on how to fix?- John

• 1. Re: FileMaker Server Admin won't start
          PointInSpace
             FYI, this has now been confirmed by others, and appears to have been caused by the "Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 4" update. I would highly advise against running said update until a solution has been found to this problem.

- John
          • 2. Re: FileMaker Server Admin won't start
            PointInSpace

OK, found the solution.  It seems that the web browser (system?) wasn't associating the .jnlp files with the proper application.  When you go to http://server:16000 and click "Start Admin Console", the "open with" dialog will come up.  Instead of selecting OK, select the path "System:Library:CoreServices:Java Web Start.app" and it should work.

- John

• 3. Re: FileMaker Server Admin won't start
              erasmussen

Unfortunately, this solves one problem but still doesn't allow me to administer our FileMaker Server (9.0.3.325 running on Mac OS X Server 10.4.11).

John's solution solves the issue with the text editor coming up, but Java Web Start then throws the following Java exception on the two computers I've tested it on (both running Mac OS X 10.5.7 with the recent Java update):

Modal dialog box: Unable to launch the application.

(click Details, go to Exception tab)...

Window Title

More Information

Heading

Error: Unexpected exception: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

Info panel

java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
                  at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
                  at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
                  at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
                  at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
                  at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Launcher.java:1359)
                  at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Launcher.java:1297)
                  at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.doLaunchApp(Launcher.java:1096)
                  at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:116)
                  at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)
              Caused by: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
                  at com.filemaker.adminconsole.ui.clients.AdminConsoleJnlpLauncher.<init>(AdminConsoleJnlpLauncher.java:195)
                  at com.filemaker.adminconsole.ui.clients.AdminConsoleJnlpLauncher.main(AdminConsoleJnlpLauncher.java:102)
                  ... 9 more
              Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NullPointerException
                  at com.oaklandsw.util.LogUtils.checkInitialLogging(LogUtils.java:61)
                  at com.oaklandsw.http.HttpURLConnection.<clinit>(HttpURLConnection.java:159)
                  ... 11 more
              Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
                  at com.oaklandsw.http.HttpURLConnection.<init>(HttpURLConnection.java:1114)
                  at com.oaklandsw.http.eb.<init>(eb.java:179)
                  at com.oaklandsw.http.Handler.openConnection(Handler.java:19)
                  at java.net.URL.openConnection(URL.java:943)
                  at sun.net.www.protocol.jar.JarURLConnection.<init>(JarURLConnection.java:64)
                  at com.sun.jnlp.JNLPCachedJarURLConnection.<init>(JNLPCachedJarURLConnection.java:66)
                  at com.sun.javaws.net.protocol.jar.Handler.openConnection(Handler.java:21)
                  at java.net.URL.openConnection(URL.java:943)
                  at sun.misc.URLClassPath$JarLoader.getJarFile(URLClassPath.java:581)
                  at sun.misc.URLClassPath$JarLoader.<init>(URLClassPath.java:546)
                  at sun.misc.URLClassPath$3.run(URLClassPath.java:324)
                  at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
                  at sun.misc.URLClassPath.getLoader(URLClassPath.java:313)
                  at sun.misc.URLClassPath.getLoader(URLClassPath.java:290)
                  at sun.misc.URLClassPath.getResource(URLClassPath.java:160)
                  at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:192)
                  at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
                  at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
                  at com.sun.jnlp.JNLPClassLoader.findClass(JNLPClassLoader.java:257)
                  at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:316)
                  at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
                  at com.oaklandsw.util.LogUtils.checkInitialLogging(LogUtils.java:40)
                  ... 12 more

The only solution I have that works right now is to use a machine that doesn't yet have the Java update installed.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Server Admin won't start
                TSGal

erasmussen:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Server 9 is looking specifically for Java 6 update 7, so reinstall FileMaker Server 9 to install the correct Java version.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: FileMaker Server Admin won't start
                  Rockit99

Re-installing Server 9 doesn't work. I've tried that 3 times now (and restarted the Mac) and I still get the error that the Server Admin app won't start. 

Is there anyway of re-installing the previous System version of Java?

This is a really serious bug. 

• 6. Re: FileMaker Server Admin won't start
                    lance123
                       Hi To All,

I am on 10.5.7 and installed the java update recently. Admin Console on 9 now refuses to start. What are the best steps to resolve this?

I have tried all other like relinking to web start etc ...But will the reinstall of FM fix that ?

Thanks,

Lance

• 7. Re: FileMaker Server Admin won't start
                      TSGal

Rockit99 and lance123:

You may want to look at Knowledge Base Article #7121:

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7121

Pay special attention to the Mac OS steps, as the new Java update places the Java in a new folder.

Please continue to keep me posted.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: FileMaker Server Admin won't start
                        lance123

Hi TSGal,

Very much appreciate your support.  I had already gone through these tech support steps in that article 7121 to no avail.  I have now used the terminal app to get the database going but still would like to go back to a nice gui.

Thanks,

Lance 

• 9. Re: FileMaker Server Admin won't start
                          user14360

Does anyone have a solution for this yet?

I just installed some software updates (and I think the java software update was included there) not knowing about the havoc it was going to cause, and now admin server won't start up.

I followed the steps from that knowledge base article but it's still not working.

I'm running Filemaker Server Pro 10 on Mac OS X, v 10.4.11.  When I double click on the launch icon it jumps up in the dock briefly and then just goes away.

• 10. Re: FileMaker Server Admin won't start
                            TSGal

Hildy:

Thank you for your post.

Launch Java Preferences, and make sure your Java Applet Plugin and Java applications list a version of Java first that is version 6 update 7 or earlier.  You may want to make J2SE 5.0 to the first position.

Reboot the computer and try again.  If it still fails, then uninstall and reinstall FileMaker Server 10.

Please keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 11. Re: FileMaker Server Admin won't start
                              user14360

Hi TSGal,

Thanks for the reply. I went to do what you said, but it turns out that it actually is JS2E 5.o that is installed and is in first position.

Not sure what else to do now!  Any ideas?  Do I need to go now to the reinstall step?  (That makes me nervous...) 

Cheers,

Hildy. 

• 12. Re: FileMaker Server Admin won't start
                                SBerger

Try to unplug ethernet cable before you start Admin Console.

What I'm doing in this situation is :

- restart FM Server machine.

- when it's back up, unplug ethernet cable

- start Admin Console

- start FM Server from console

- when all files status is "Normal", plug ethernet cable back in

Hope it'll help you. 

• 13. Re: FileMaker Server Admin won't start
                                  user14360
                                     Thanks for the suggestion, but for various reasons the ethernet cable isn't actually plugged in.
                                  • 14. Re: FileMaker Server Admin won't start
                                    user14360

Just an update for you.  I was able to prompt the admin console start page by going to http://<web-server-address>:16000/?page+launch&install+single

Then when I clicked on the 'start admin console' button, it downloaded an  admin_console_webstart.jnlp file (which I am assuming was the required java component that was needed since the update), and the admin console was then able to start and save a new icon to the desktop, which now when I launch that icon, it works.

Phew!