Summary

Filemaker Server can not remove databases

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Server 2012R2

Description of the issue

When you try to remove a database, nothing happens.  You get an email with this warning however, which also appears in the log:

Error     673     [servername]     Database "[databasename]" could not be removed from "filewin:/C:/Program Files/FileMaker/FileMaker Server/Data/Databases/". (20405)

Steps to reproduce the problem

Try to remove database in Admin console

Expected result

Database would be removed and stored in the removed folder.  If there was an error, it would be reported in the console rather than doing nothing.  The error should also explain WHY it failed.

Actual result

As described, nothing happens, internal error is generated

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

As listed, nothing in console, but log and email show:
      Error     673     [servername]     Database "[databasename]" could not be removed from "filewin:/C:/Program Files/FileMaker/FileMaker Server/Data/Databases/". (20405)

Workaround

Manually move the database to the removed folder.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Server can not remove databases
          TSGal

Yadin:

Thank you for your post.

At this time, I only have access to Windows Server 2012 (not R2), and after installing FileMaker Server 14.0.2, I am unable to replicate your issue.  That is, I am able to close databases, remove them, and they are placed in the removed folder.

If you are getting Error 673 "Database could not be removed", then it usually means the operating system could not remove the file from the current folder, and there may be a permissions issue.  However, if you are able to manually move the file, then there is something else occurring.

Are there any reserved characters in the filename (colons, periods, slashes, etc.)?

Does this error occur for all files or just one specific file?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in determining the cause.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Server can not remove databases
            Yadin

After more testing the issue is sporadic and seems to have no identifiable reason.  No special characters are involved, and actually one WITH a period (it has 2.0 in the name) was removed without issue.  It has also been unable to close databases some times, at which point the whole service has to be shut down as you can not manually move the file while open as it's locked.  The same databases then show no such issue after a restart.  The appearance is the software has a reliability issue where it can't work with it's own files randomly for no particular reason.  I have never seen this before in v12 and earlier.  We did not run v13.  Thus far while random, it is very regular.  this server was a fresh build for v14, so there is no upgrade cruft concern.  All appearance is it's simply a reliability issue in v14.  That being said, we are also seeing that while we have been told no database updates are needed from v12 to v14 because they use the same file format, we are needing to "rebuild" databases so that v14 can serve them reliably, specifically for webdirect.  Because admin is now web based, it calls in to question if v14 server is simply unable to work with some databases until they have been "rebuilt" (i.e. recovered or cloned and repopulated) from the original v12 files which were working fine.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Server can not remove databases
              TSGal

Yadin:

Thank you for the additional information.

Keep in mind that a number of themes were deprecated in the FileMaker 13 timeframe, and one of those themes, Classic Theme, was removed in FileMaker 14.  Were you using the Classic Theme in FileMaker 12?

For a listing of deprecated features, see Knowledge Base Article #11468 at:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11468

If you get into the state again of being unable to close databases, check the log files for anything out of the ordinary.  Check to see if clients are able to access the file.  Also, try using the command line interface to close the file.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Server can not remove databases
                dwhoughton

This issue is not limited to Server 14 . I am experiencing the exact same issue with Server 13.0.9.905 on OSX 10.10.5 Error message that gets sent is:

Error  673  fmp  Database "XXXXX.fmp12" could not be removed from "filemac:/SSD/Users/Shared/FileMaker/Databases/IT Dept/". (-1)

Same issue of sometimes not being able to stop databases also present. Reboot fixes that issue, but still cannot remove databases. We have an automated/scripted system for updating or system that relies on this functionality. Having to manually stop and remove is not practical for us as this has to occur in the middle of the night AND it takes much longer to do.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Server can not remove databases
                  TSGal

dwhoughton:

Thank you for your post.

We have seen error 673 occur if there is a separate remote container folder that resides on a different volume.

If this is not the case, have you tried using the file in the default database location and see if the error occurs?

Are you able to close the file and move it manually via Admin Console?  Or, do you have to physically remove it from the server?

When you say "Reboot", do you mean reboot the server or reboot FileMaker Server?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Server can not remove databases
                    dwhoughton

Yes, we have the databases in an alternate location so that we could specify the container storage to be on the larger RAID volume of the Xserve while keeping the DB files on the SSD boot drive. Have the DB and container storage in the default location is not an option for us. By reboot I mean reboot of the entire server, not stop and start of fmserver service. Files will not remove via the Admin Console - they have to be removed via the Finder.

• 7. Re: Filemaker Server can not remove databases
                      dwhoughton

The interesting thing is that it DID work - have no idea what changed so that it now doesn't.

• 8. Re: Filemaker Server can not remove databases
                        TSGal

dwhoughton:

Thank you for the clarification and additional information.

Needless to say, it would be helpful if you knew what had changed.  Regardless, let me try to get as much information as possible.

How many files are you hosting?  When this error occurs, is only one file affected?  all files?  group of files?

If you are seeing this issue for a subset of files, do those files all have remote container storage?  I'm trying to determine if it is somehow related to the 673 error that was previously reported.

Have you noticed the memory allocation of FileMaker Server when this issue occurs?

Are any plug-ins installed and enabled?

Are you connected to any external SQL data sources?

Any other information about your server and computing environment that comes to mind may be helpful in narrowing down the possible cause(s).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Filemaker Server can not remove databases
                          dwhoughton

75 files hosted. The automation issue is only with a subset (10 aACE ERP system files). But it does not matter, Admin Console will not remove the databases, nor will the CLI interface, which is what the automation process is using. All files use remote container storage, either natively or via SuperContainer.

I have not looked at memory allocation "when the issue occurs" because the issue is constant, but the server has 16GB RAM.

No plugins

No external SQL sources

• 10. Re: Filemaker Server can not remove databases
                            TSGal

dwhoughton:

For clarification, do all of the database files, that cannot be removed, have remote storage for containers?  Or, perhaps it would better asking if any of the remaining 65 hosted files have remote containers?  In essence, I'm searching for a common denominator.

For testing purposes, create a duplicate of one of the non-removable database files, and embed the Container contents.  That is, change from remote storage to local storage.  Are you then able to remove this database?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Filemaker Server can not remove databases
                              dwhoughton

Well, I finally have new information. First, the problem (Error 673) exists regardless if the file has local or remote container storage. I checked the permissions and there was a difference. The Alternate DB location is in the Shared user directory so that it is still on the SSD. Although both fmserver user and fmadmin group had been added with read/write, fmserver was not the owner, system still was... I changed that, but it had no effect. The other difference was that the default  location has Everyone Ready Only, while the alt location, due to being in Shared User, had Everyone Read/Write. I changed to Ready Only and I was able to remove a DB using Admin Console....once. But only once. I am now back to 673 on every attempt.

• 12. Re: Filemaker Server can not remove databases
                                TSGal

dwhoughton:

If fmserver is the owner of that folder, make sure fmserver has write access to the folder and everyone else Read Only.  Does this work?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Filemaker Server can not remove databases
                                  dwhoughton

That's exactly what I did. It worked once. Right now the only difference in permissions is that the alt location still has system and wheel with R/W.

Default location:

fmserver      Read/write (owner)

fmadmin      Read/write

Everyone      Read only

Alt Location

fmserver      Read/write (owner)

fmadmin      Read/write

system         Read/write

wheel           Read/Write

Everyone      Read only

I have not deleted the others as I want to be sure I can manually delete the files if need through the Finder since that is the only method working at the moment.

• 14. Re: Filemaker Server can not remove databases
                                    TSGal

dwhoughton:

To help narrow this issue down further, temporarily change the preference for Everyone to Read/write.  Upload a file, and then see if you are able to remove it.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.