Summary

FileMaker Server can not validate backup path

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition SP2

Description of the issue

I am trying to disable the validation of our backup. I can not get past the point where the backup path must be validated. The current configuration is valid and runs every day. The current path is set as:

filewin:/D:/Program Files/FileMaker/FileMaker Server/Data/Backups/

What am i missing?

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. Log into the FileMaker Server Computer
      2. Launch "FileMaker Server Admin Console"
      3. Select Schedules
      4. Right Click on the schedule and select "Edit a Schedule".
      5. Select the databases to be backed up. Hit Next
      6. on 4. Select Backup folder. Current Path:
      filewin:/D:/Program Files/FileMaker/FileMaker Server/Data/Backups/
      The Next Button is grayed out.

Expected result

The path should be valid

Actual result

It is not

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Not a valid path

Workaround

None

Not_a_Valid_Path.png

• 1. Re: FileMaker Server can not validate backup path
          user15307

levinr,

Thank you for posting.

It's not clear why the Status of your Backup Folder path is invalid.  The first thing I would check is that there aren't any trailing spaces on that path; if there is, it will show "not valid".

Rather than editing the existing schedule, I would try creating another backup schedule for which you will not enable verification.  In this way, we might be able to rule out a problem with the schedule you are editing.

Also, I am unable to test on anything but the latest version of the program, and I notice that you have not updated your server version to 10.0v2.  This may also be something to consider, in the event there is something in the update that might address this issue.

Please keep me updated with your progress.

TSTuatara

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Server can not validate backup path
            levinr_1

Thanks for your response.

I have check the content of the path carefully. There are no training spaces or any other oddities.

I have tried to create new schedules with no success. I can not enter any path that is valid.

We have the upgrade scheduled, but the system is business critcal and it is not practical to do the upgrade now.

Can you provide examples or suggest any path strings to try to make this work. I can create the directories and set permissions as specified.

Thanks,

Rod Levin.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Server can not validate backup path
              user15307

levinr,

Thank you for the additional information.

Even though you are entering what should be valid paths, they still aren't working, so try creating a completely different Backup folder. 

In Windows, create a new folder under this same path: 

filewin:/D:/Program Files/FileMaker/FileMaker Server/Data/Newfolder/

Then, in the Admin Console, under Database Server/Default Folders, change the Backup Folder to this new folder -- see if it can be Validated there.

Is the D: drive on the only internal hard drive, or are there multiple drives?  I'm curious to know if there is something about the OS-level file structure that may have changed since you originally set this up.

Let me know what you find.

TSTuatara

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Server can not validate backup path
                philmodjunk

Does D map to an external drive? FileMaker can only back up to a local drive it can't back up to a drive at another location.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Server can not validate backup path
                  levinr_1

It is hard to say what the problem was. After a server reboot, it works. Thanks for your assistance.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Server can not validate backup path
                    el_pablo_1

Had the same problem with FMS 12. I cannot even see the connected clients. I will restart the server.