Summary

Filemaker Server erratically sends Email Notifications

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Mac OSX 10.6.6

Description of the issue

The Filemaker Advanced Server 10.0.2.206 (Mac OS 10.6.6) sends error messages each hour reporting that "WS COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING." The solution runs fine.

It is impossible to get rid of the message sending. I have blanked each and every the fields under the "Email notification" tab in the "Configuration: General Settings" section.

I have ereased all files under /Library/FileMaker Server/Admin/conf

I have redeployed my server solution leaving all fileds under the "Email notification" tab blank.

I have used Onyx to clear all caches.

Steps to reproduce the problem

E-mail notofications was turned on, then off.

Expected result

When e-mail notifications is turned off, they should be turned off. When even the mail and smtp-fields are cleared and preferences are saved, FileMaker lives it´s life of it´s own.

Actual result

24 mail sent each day.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

FileMaker Server 10.0.2.206 on KNMM-prodserver reported the following event:

Fri Jan 14 11:45:28 CET 2011 FMS ERROR webserver

Some problems were detected in the WS COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING.

FileMaker Server automatically sent you this email.  Contact the administrator if you no longer want to receive these notifications:
      My Name
      Phone: +1 2000 44 666

• 1. Re: Filemaker Server erratically sends Email Notifications
          TSGal

Sjur Hegberg:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

First, the error message is coming from your Web Server not responding.  Have you been able to determine why it is crashing?

Do you have any schedules that run each hour?  If so, do the schedules involve a running script with a Send Mail step?  This could be the cause of the email.

If you are still having difficulty, try uninstalling and reinstalling FileMaker Server.

If you have since found a solution, please post here so others can benefit.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Server erratically sends Email Notifications
            SjurHøgberg

Hello TSGal!

The error disappeared after I reinstalled Filemaker Server, but now it is here again, one mail per hour: "WS COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING."

The solution runs fine (including the web server) though.

In which config file is the mail error recipient stored?

Is there a method to get rid of the mail message sending without redeploying or reinstall FM Server?

And why on earth are all config files in /Library/FileMaker Server/Admin/conf folder coded?

They certainly should be open editable xml-files like most other server configurable solution files.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Server erratically sends Email Notifications
              SjurHøgberg

Tried to get rid of the erratically sent Server mails once more:

1. Stopped the FileMaker Server
              2. Deleted all files in the /Library/FileMaker Server/Admin -folder
                managerconfig.xml, server_config.xml, wpe_workerconfig.xml, ws_workerconfig.xml
              3. Redeployed
              4. Left all fields containing email and SMPT empty during deployment.

10 minutes later: Error messages are back, one message each hour: "Some problems were detected in the WS COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING."

Could some representative of FileMaker please tell me which file to delete containing email preferences for FileMaker Pro server so I can get rid of those erratically sent error messages? Just put 1600 of those messages the trash. First reported this on Jan 17.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Server erratically sends Email Notifications
                SjurHøgberg

Addendum to the above message:

Also mail warnings regarding schedules that belongs to an earlier deployment are sent from the FileMaker Server.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Server erratically sends Email Notifications
                  SjurHøgberg
                  1. Uninstalled the FileMaker Server through the installation program on the CD.
                  2. Manually removed the rest of the FileMaker Server folder from Root/Library.
                  3. Emptied the trash and restarted.
                  4. Reinstalled FileMaker Server.
                  5. Put the database files back in place.
                  6. No e-mail adress entered during the deployment setup, no SMTP server entered either.

Result: Still three error messages pr hour: To regarding Schedules that belongs to a prior deployments, one regarding WS-component that is not working (though it really is working).

Text from one of the mail messages:

FileMaker Server 10.0.2.206 on xxx-server reported the following event:

2011-07-19 17:00:00.451 +0200    Error    642    xxx-server    Schedule "Backup Every Hour" aborted; unexpected error. (20405)

FileMaker Server automatically sent you this email.  Contact the administrator if you no longer want to receive these notifications:
                  xxx <xxx@mailserver.com>
                  Phone: +xxxx xxxx

This mail should not have been sent.

1. There is noe Schedule in my solution that has the name "Backup Every Hour". This Scedule belongs to an earlier deployment (and FileMaker Server is uninstalled and reinstalled before the present deployment)

2. The FileMaker deployment contains no mail address nor any smtp-server adress.

Do I have to reformat my Mac?

• 6. Re: Filemaker Server erratically sends Email Notifications
                    TSGal

Sjur Høgberg:

Based on your last post, are you sure these messages are coming from the same server?  It sounds like these messages are coming from a different server.

Go to the server and open the log files and verify the messages are coming from that server.  It is possible you have another deployment of FileMaker Server elsewhere that is sending these messages.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Filemaker Server erratically sends Email Notifications
                      SjurHøgberg

Hello TSGal!

You were right!

It turned out that I had not properly uninstalled the solution from my previous server. This machine is now working as a client in the network.

I have now stopped this server program and I hope my problems are gone now.

If the error mail messages generated from FileMaker had exposed the server´s IP-address I would perhaps have recognised this earlier.

Thank you anyway, without your suggestion I would never got the clue!

Sjur Hogberg
                      Norway