1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 28, 2010 2:59 PM by JohnDuncan

FileMaker Server error 508 Duplicate Serial

JohnDuncan

Summary

FileMaker Server error 508 Duplicate Serial

Description of the issue

We have been running FileMaker Server 11.0v1 Advanced for about two weeks.  Today with users logged in to the server it kicked the users off and produced the error: 2010-03-27 11:12:02.456 -0400 Error 508 JEDtech-FMS Another copy of FileMaker Server (JEDtech-FM-Server [192.168.56.11]) is already running with this license key. This copy of FileMaker Server will not open any databases, but will allow updating the license key in the Admin Console. This machine had previously been running FileMaker Server 10 which had been de-installed before installing FileMaker Server 11. What is especially interesting about this message is that the server had been reporting itself as "JEDtech-FM-Server" since installation as in the following backup message: FileMaker Server 11.0.1.95 on JEDtech-FM-Server reported the following event:2010-03-16 23:41:45.956 -0400 Information 150 JEDtech-FM-Server Schedule "Mon-Thu" completed. Somehow the name became changed to JEDtech-FMS which is likely the cause of the conflict as the IP address of the conflicting license is in fact the correct IP address of the machine.  I opened the FIleMaker Server admin window and it took me to the window to re-enter the serial.  I entered the same serial as was entered before and it came up and ran.  When I checked the name of the server it was now JEDtech-FMS but when I do an "Open Remote" on "Local Hosts" I now see 2 FileMaker Servers running on 192.168.56.11 "JEDtech-FMS" and "JEDtech-FM-Server" (checked from 3 machines).  I checked in the process list and there is only one "fmserverd" process running and this machine only has 1 IP address. I rebooted the computer and after the reboot when FileMaker Server came up it reported itself as JEDtech-FMS and only showed 1 server in the "Open Remote" local hosts dialog.   The machine that it is running on is a single Quad-Core 2.93GHz Mac Pro running MacOS-X Server 10.5.8.  IPV6 is turned off.  Unfortunately I can't tell you the name that FileMaker Sever 10 was running with or which of the 2 names we entered during the FMS 11 installation.