Filemaker Server not releasing client connections

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

v14

Operating system version

Windows 7, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Pro (x64) clients

Description of the issue

When clients log off, server status still shows connected clients and open databases.  Over time, clients are listed multiple times (4-6 or more) and will not go away by selecting to 'disconnect client'.  Requires a server (FMS) restart to clear.
      Note that this also happened with v13 and FMP/FMPA 32 bit client.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Client opens and closes multiple database files throughout the day.  There are approx. 50 db files hosted and 15-20 used by the client on and off.

Expected result

After the designated time-out setting, the server should release the old client connection and the db's showing open for that connection.  OR  The server should re-use the old connection for the user rather than opening a new one.

Actual result

At the end of the day, after all users are gone and off the system, 1/2 of the users are still listed multiple times.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

n/a

Configuration information

All users are on the local network.  Filemaker server has an odbc connection to MS SQL Server on same local network.  Most db's opened and used by users have sql tables in them.

Workaround

Only stopping/re-starting FMS.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Server not releasing client connections
          philmodjunk

There are two parts to FileMaker server, the Server and the admin console. This sounds like a long standing issue where the console can fail to update correctly and which is then resolved by restarting the admin console--with no need to restart the entire server.

Is this what you are doing when you "restart the server"?

Have you tried just restarting the admin console? (There's a command line for this.)

• 2. Re: Filemaker Server not releasing client connections
            stephengbaker

I am also this this issue on a windows server running the latest server 14v3.

It is not the admin console issue we are seeing, as we have seen that previously and know the mentioned fix. Also when a client tries to log on they are getting a licensing error, stating that they have exceeded the number of connections allowed under their license.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Server not releasing client connections
              cwhorton

We also encounter this error.  We hadn't seen it on FileMaker Server 13, but we have in all iterations of FileMaker Server 14.  It is not the Admin Server but the FileMaker Server itself and we see it with all client types, FileMaker Pro, Go and WebDirect.  Eventually the server will stop allowing concurrent connections due to licensing restrictions.

Another symptom, of the problem we see at least, is that when this is happening occasionally a database will close and when we try to open it again FileMaker Server will report "This file is in use by another program."  Restarting the server (temporarily) corrects the issue.

We use Windows 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012 R2.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Server not releasing client connections
                TSGal

cwhorton:

Thank you for your post.

Are the clients logging off normally, or are they timing out?  Did you specify a maximum idle time before disconnecting clients?  Is anything else running on the server besides FileMaker Server?  How long does it take before you start noticing the issue?  Do you notice if the memory allocation for FileMaker Server increases over time?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down a cause.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Server not releasing client connections
                  cwhorton

1) Not 100% sure as the server is used by various people through various portions of the workflow, but if I had to make an educated guess I would say it doesn't matter.  Whether they logged out or timed out they will have another session when they log back in.

2) Yes, 8 hours for FileMaker Network, 15 minutes for WebDirect

3) There's another instance of Apache Tomcat (in addition to that provided by FMS) that resides outside of the FileMaker Server folder and listens on different ports and runs as a different system user.  It does not interfere with FileMaker Server.

4) The issue is not predictable and it is rare.  Servers can run for months and never have the issue.  Other servers, configured identically, can experience the issue within a week of last having it.  My educated guess is that something within a hosted database is executed (either through WPE, FMSE or maybe the main FMS process itself) that FileMaker Server can't handle correctly and it's sent on a downward spiral.  I don't know what that could be as we have many people from many organizations uploading their databases to us.

5) Memory allocation does not seem to play part.  There is as much free / used memory during normal use as when this issue occurs.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Server not releasing client connections
                    TSGal

cwhorton:

Thank you for the additional information.

If the client logs out properly, the session should end and the client should be removed from Admin Console.  Regardless, in the morning, after 8 hours of idle time, you should not see a FileMaker network client as they are all disconnected.  Have you noticed if there are FileMaker Pro/Go clients still connected in the morning?

Are you able to manually disconnect the additional clients?

Thanks for checking the memory allocation.  I wanted to determine if a memory leak was present.

One of our phone Support Technicians reported yesterday two customers having a similar issue with FileMaker Server 14 (14.0.2 and 14.0.3) where ghost clients are appearing, and after some time, many ghost clients would build up, and performance problems would occur.  The notes also mention execution of Perform Script on Server script steps contribute to this.  Are you using any Perform Script on Server scripts?  Or, do you have any schedules that execute scripts?

Also, the Support Technician's notes show that the ghost user names get replaced by a large number followed by a slash followed by "1".  The Admin Console "In Progress" column shows a high elapsed time.

Let me know if this is anything you are seeing.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Filemaker Server not releasing client connections
                      robwoof

Experiencing this issue with hosting server. Windows Server 2012R2, FMS 14.0.4.412, Pro (both platforms) and Go clients in versions 13.0.x and 14.0.x. No information on whether it is network instability, "client no longer responding" dropouts or user logouts that are the reason for new connections.

Using the "Disconnect User" command in the Admin Console does not disconnect the phantom connections.

No Idle Timeout set.

No observed pattern to when the issue occurs. It has come to our notice when users of a particular database file find they cannot log in. Attempting to close any file with "phantom" connections on it results in the "This file is in use by another program." error reported by Carl Horton. Complete server restart is all that will resolve the issue.

Edit: issue also occurred in FMS 14.0.3

• 8. Re: Filemaker Server not releasing client connections
                        TorstenBernhard

Have seen the same issue. File was closed with termination script but FMP still showed it's name in the open file list, name in square brackets.

• 9. Re: Filemaker Server not releasing client connections
                          jlm

Same problem here.

Running FM server 14 on Windows Server 2012. In 2 months the situation occurred 3 times. I cannot disconnect the clients (webd) and only by restarting the server the admin console is cleaned up.

I cannot tell if the clients are quitting the browsers correctly but this shouldn't interfere with the performance since the timeout is defined on the console for 20 minutes.

I have no server side scripts running.

• 10. Re: Filemaker Server not releasing client connections
                            jlm

The problem is getting more frequent (3 times this week). Are the values in the task manager acceptable (Java Platform Binary)?

Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 15.19.44.png

After it exceeds the user limit, I can't disconnect them and often I must restart the server.

Help, anyone?

• 11. Re: Filemaker Server not releasing client connections
                              TSGal

jlm:

Thank you for your posts.

Was FileMaker Server 14.0.4 running the entire time when the "ghost" clients appeared?  That is, did you ever stop the FileMaker Server process and restart (not a reboot of the server)?

How many ghost clients are displaying?  Do you know if you are seeing the same ghost clients over time, or are the clients all different?  I'm trying to determine if this is occurring for a specific client (or clients).

When you do notice the ghost clients, does anything else appear abnormal?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Filemaker Server not releasing client connections
                                jlm

Yes, FMS was running all  the time.

I have licences for 26 concurrent. When these last problems occurred, I had 0 Go clients, 7 or 8 Pro, and about 12 to 14 webd. The console indicated 32 clients (I suspect it passed the 26th). Since this server is used for sensitive and urgent information, my main concern is to allow users back to the DB and therefore I don't have the time to calmly analyze the problem. The clients are in a total of 75 and they are NOT the same in the various occasions.

The things I see abnormal are the "disconnect all users" or "disconnect user" that don't work and the "close all dbs" that takes an eternity. Because my phone doesn't stop ringing with complains I found out that the restart the server is the fastes way to normalize the situation.

Thanks for your quick answer.

• 13. Re: Filemaker Server not releasing client connections
                                  jlm

Another info:

The task manager indicates that Java is using 1931,3 MB. Is this value "normal"?

• 14. Re: Filemaker Server not releasing client connections
                                    TSGal

jlm:

Thank you for the additional information.

WebDirect uses a lot of memory per session, so the 1931,3 MB could be normal.

The next time this occurs, please write down the date and time.  Also, get a screenshot of the Admin Console Clients list.  Send these in, along with all FileMaker logs (especially Access and Event logs).  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send everything.

After that, try and find a pattern associated with triggering each ghost client.  Find the users trapped via the screenshot and correlate their login time via the access.log.  After that, make a list of actions performed on the server between the connection and the realization there is now a ghost client.  If nothing seems obvious that would cause ghost clients (e.g., FMSE crashes), then we will need to eliminate each action one at a time.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 3 Previous Next