Filemaker Server Side Script Fail after 11.0.3.309 Update when using

AlanDeffenderfer

Summary

Filemaker Server Side Script Fail after 11.0.3.309 Update when using

Version

Operating system version

OSX Leopard Snow Server

Description of the issue

Server side scripts fail after update.  A few users have reported this issue on various boards.  It may be related to the use of various Get functions in server side scripts, but I have not confirmed this myself.

Steps to reproduce the problem

My server scripts have been in place with almost no modifications since 2007, when server side scripting came out.

Workaround

I can use a robot client (like I used to do) and all scripts perform as expected.  The only thing making the scripts fail is running them server side.  Again, these are scripts that ran flawlessly for years server side until the 11.0.3.309 update.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Server Side Script Fail after 11.0.3.309 Update when using

Alan Deffenderfer:

Thanks for posting!

If you recreate one of the failing scripts in a new file and run it from there, does it still fail? Do you see an entry in the Log Viewer that corresponds with the failure? If you do, what does it say exactly?

Would you be willing to send over a sample file with a script that exhibits this behavior? If so, you can check your inbox (at the top of this page) for a private message from me detailing where to send this file.

TSBear

FileMaker, inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Server Side Script Fail after 11.0.3.309 Update when using
            AlanDeffenderfer

TSBear,

The errors when running the script in my server log is: Scripting Error 101 (Goto Record/Request/Page).  There is one script step with the Goto record script step.  There is no reason for this step to fail, ever.  

I have already reverted to a know good backup of the file in question.  It's 26 Gig in size with over 10 million records and lots of crednetials for many of my business partners.  IF I cannot resolve this issue by the end of the day, I'll work on getting you a sample for you to troubleshoot. 

I plan to revert to v2 of FMSA to see if that gets rid of the issue.

I will post my results shortly.

Alan

• 3. Re: Filemaker Server Side Script Fail after 11.0.3.309 Update when using
              philmodjunk

Go To Record/Request/Page [next ; Exit after last]

Will log a 101 error each time the "after last" condition occurs even though we database developers wouldn't consider this to be a script error.

Would this be a possible explanation here?

Far as I've seen, the error is logged but the script continues to execute normally.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Server Side Script Fail after 11.0.3.309 Update when using
                AlanDeffenderfer

Phil, I guess i haven't noticed the 101 error in my logs ... which makes sense.  I typically look at my logs when troublehsooting (like this issue), not when everything is working fine. Thanks for this post.

I reverted to v2 and my server side scripts are functioning as expected.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Server Side Script Fail after 11.0.3.309 Update when using
                  philmodjunk

Which suggests there's problem that may need to be reported, but we don't yet know what that problem is. Can you describe what it is that your sheduled scripts do?

That may identify an issue already reported or suggest to those reading this thread some things you should check to see if they are a factor.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Server Side Script Fail after 11.0.3.309 Update when using

Alan Deffenderfer:

Since you've already rolled back to v2, I went ahead and submitted the issue to our Development and Quality Assurance departments. However, I'm concerned that they may not be able to reproduce it with the current information available. If there's any other information that you believe may assist them in their investigation, we would greatly appreciate you posting it.

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Filemaker Server Side Script Fail after 11.0.3.309 Update when using

Alan Deffenderfer:

Our Development department has requested a little more information. Specifically, they'd like to know if you're using the Get(FileMakerPath) function in any of the scripts that were failing in v3.

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Filemaker Server Side Script Fail after 11.0.3.309 Update when using
                        AlanDeffenderfer

I am following up on this thread with more detailed info:

My server is on X.6.7 Leopard Snow Server.  Webserver and DNS are the only services turned on. 4 Gigs of Ram.

I use two server side plugins: SmartPill PHP and TroiFile.  Both of these are the latest versions. I am beginning to believe v3 may have introduced or exposed an incompatibility with one of these plugins, but I have no evidence of this just yet.  Based on what I was reading elsewhere, I believed the incompatibility with a Get function and/or Leopard Snow. I now believe one (or both) of these plugins needs to be tested for compatibility with v3.  I have not experienced an incompatibility with one of these plugins with a minor version upgrade of FMSA before, but it's possible.

The scripts that fail on v3 download a file via ftp using SmartPill PHP.  Troifile is used to manipulate that file once downloaded.  The scripts fail to download a file known to exist on the remote ftp server, meaning SmartPill is either failing or the script is failing before the SmartPill scriptstep is called.  Of course, this does not mean the issue cannot be related to TROIfile.  The main script that does all this would fail on v3 of FMSA when called from the schedule/console, but it worked fine using SmartPill and TROIFile using a robot client while the file was hosted on FMSA v3.  This script also works fine when called from the scheduler/console from a v2 server. 

The scripts in question do NOT reference the Get (FileMakerPath) function.  They do use the Get (FileName) function and the Import Records function extensively.  These scripts update over 20 tables with flat files in the FM (Server/Client) Documents directory.  That also means they reference the Get (DocPath) function.  Several GTRR are also used throughout to change contexts and produce founds sets of related records. 

Interestingly, on an updated FMSA from v2 to v3, running these scripts would CRASH the FMSA database engine.  The script would fire off and within a minute, the DB server would go down.  After a fresh install of v3 from a full v3 installer, the script would merely run (report "OK" in the console) but not do anything (no file download etc.). 

Finally, the server script also uses/passes a script parameter when called from the scheduler/console. 

I hope this is helpful.

Alan

• 9. Re: Filemaker Server Side Script Fail after 11.0.3.309 Update when using

Alan Deffenderfer:

Thanks! I've attached this information to the issue report. You mentioned that it initially crashed after updating to v3. Could you check the /Library/Logs/Diagnostic Reports/ folder for corresponding crash logs?

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Filemaker Server Side Script Fail after 11.0.3.309 Update when using

Alan Deffenderfer:

In addition to the crash logs, our Development and Quality Assurance departments have requested the actual script(s) failing. This can be in the form of a clone of the file or, alternatively, you could print them to PDF. If you're willing to send these over, you can send them to the email address previously given through private message.

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.