6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2010 9:28 AM by datadoug

FileMaker unable to match a color using color chooser

datadoug

Summary

FileMaker unable to match a color using color chooser

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involvedFilemaker 10, 10 Adv, 11, 11 AdvOperating System(s) involvedMacOS 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard)Detailed description of the issueWhen trying to define the color of a layout object, if you select "other color..." then select the magnifying glass to select a screen color to match, the resulting color is darker than the selected color. This makes it difficult to match the color of existing layout objects. It appears that when the "Other color..." window is open it defaults to Generic RGB values, however, when you use the magnifying glass to select a screen color, it switches to Device RGB values (which are different), but uses the Generic RGB values as Device RGB values, thus selecting a darker version of the color. See work around below. This is probably due to Snow Leopard's change in gamma. Exact steps to reproduce the issue• Enter layout mode• Draw a box on the layout• Change it's color to a muted mid-tone color (this shows the effect more than a really saturated color)• Draw a new box• Now change its color by going to "other color..." and selecting the magnifying glass and moving it over the first box and selecting it as the source color• The resulting color is darker than the color you're trying to match Expected ResultIt is expected that the color result matches the source.Actual ResultThe color result is darker than the source.This is probably due to the fact that Snow Leopard uses a different gamma setting than in previous OS versions.It appears FMI has not yet addressed this.Exact text of any error message(s) that appearedNone.Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issueOther applications that use the color chooser that I have tested do not exhibit this behavior.Workarounds• Select a layout object in which you want to apply a color change• Select the fill color and choose "other color..."• Select the "Color Sliders" tab at the top of the color palette window (it's the second form the left)• Select "RGB Sliders" from the drop down list• If you click the small color box drop down list to the left of the "RGB Sliders" field, it probably says "Generic RGB". Don't change this yet.• Click the magnifying glass and select a source color form the screen (you'll notice that the color in the selection box is darker)• Write down the RGB values shown• Click the small color box drop down list to the left of the "RGB Sliders" field. It probably now says "Device RGB". Now select "Generic RGB"(when you select Generic RGB you'll notice the values change)• With Generic RGB selected, enter the RGB values that you previously wrote down• You should now have the correct color. Changing the RGB type prior to selecting a color seems to have no effect. It always switches to "Device RGB" after you have made a color selection, but uses the Generic RGB values. 

• 1. Re: FileMaker unable to match a color using color chooser
          TSGal

datadoug:

Thank you for your post.

What Graphics/Display adapter do you have installed?  I have two different machines, and although the Generic RGB values are identical, the Device RGB values are quite different.  One machine has ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro installed, and the other machine has Intel GMA 950 installed.  I'll need to find more Snow Leopard machines to analyze this further.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker unable to match a color using color chooser
            datadoug

Hi TSGal,

It occurs on both a MacBook Pro with an ATI Radeon X1600 and a Mac Mini with an Nvidia GeForce 9400. Both machines have Snow Leopard.

The color selection problem did not occur on the MacBook Pro with Leopard (10.5) installed. Machines that still have 10.5.8 on them do not exhibit this behavior. In fact, upon updating to Snow Leopard, I had mismatched color between pasted graphics and native Filemaker graphics on a solution I was developing prior to my upgrade.

• 3. Re: FileMaker unable to match a color using color chooser
              TSGal

datadoug:

Thanks for the additional information.

I have done some additional testing on both OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard) and OS X 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard), and I now see the difference.

This is what I did:

1. Using FileMaker Pro 11 with Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard), I created a new database file (file1.fp7) with one text field "TEST".

2. I go into Layout Mode and double-click the TEST field.  I dismiss the Specify Field dialog and the Inspector dialog box remains.

3. I select the Appearance tab in Inspector.

4. Under Fill, I select Other Color, select the RGB Slider, set Red to 200, Green to 150, and Blue to 100.

5. I change from "Device RBG" to "Generic RGB", and the values change to 201, 150, and 98, respectively.  I change the values to 200, 150 and 100, and click OK.

6. If I select the color again, the Blue value changes back to 98.  If I go to Device RGB, it switches to 100.  I cannot get Generic RGB to hold the Blue value at 100.

On an Intel GMA 950 running OS X 10.5.8, I get 200,150,100 under Device RGB, translates to 199,150,101 on Generic RGB.

7. I moved the same database file over to a Snow Leopard machine running FileMaker Pro 11 with an Intel GMA 950.  Under Device RGB, I set the values to 200,150,100, and when I switch to Generic RGB, the values become 195,131, 80!  Hence, I am able to see the marked change.

I apologize for not seeing this sooner ( I was using some darker values initially).  In any case, I have forwarded your information, along with my findings, to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation.  When I hear back any information, I will post again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FileMaker unable to match a color using color chooser
                TSGal

datadoug:

Our Testing department confirmed the problem and informed me this was reported earlier.  At this time, the workaround you provided is recommended.  When additional information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FileMaker unable to match a color using color chooser
                  philmodjunk

Adding to the known bug list...

Is this a mac only bug?

• 6. Re: FileMaker unable to match a color using color chooser
                    datadoug

Yes, I believe this is a Mac only bug. I don't think that XP has the ability to select colors in the same way and I haven't been able to test on Windows 7.

Doug