4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2009 3:18 PM by cribscapes

Filemaker under Snow Leopard will not start up!

cribscapes

Summary

Filemaker under Snow Leopard will not start up!

Description of the issue

I got a new Macbook Pro laptop running Snow Leopard and updated it to 10.6.2. I then migrated all my files from my previous 10.5.x? Laptop and commenced working.  Everything ran fine for a couple of days - including Filemaker 10.0.3.03.   A couple of days ago, Filemaker crashed after opening.  All the files open up then before you can even get to a key, Filemaker Crashes!  I have reinstalled the OS and Filemaker several times to no avail.  I have tried other filemaker files - nope. Since then, a couple of other apps have started exhibiting the same behaviour!Any Suggestions?Thanks,Neil 

• 1. Re: Filemaker under Snow Leopard will not start up!
          MartinBrändle

I seems rather that you have a hardware problem.

Please check first your harddisk with the disk utility and your RAM using the Apple hardware test utility on your Mac OS X Installation CD. 

• 2. Re: Filemaker under Snow Leopard will not start up!
            cribscapes

I walked through those tests with Apple tech support and they were all fine.  Apple has now said that it is a 3rd party software issue and there is nothing they can do.

To clarify, out of about 120 apps that I use regularly, only 4 are exhibiting the problem.  Mission Critical are Filemaker, Timbuktu, and BB Edit, Eye TV also has the problem.  Apps and OS have been deleted and reinstalled.  Preferences trashed and restarted - nothing works.

One thing that Apple tried had an effect.  We created a new user and logged in under the new user.  Each app including Filemaker opened once and worked just fine, but when I quit and went back in - the app would crash immediately on opening again.

I think it is a common problem, but I don't think it is hardware. BBEdit folks are having me delete a folder called /Library/InputManagers/SIMBL in the hopes that it will work but so far no go. 

• 3. Re: Filemaker under Snow Leopard will not start up!
              MartinBrändle
                 Check directory /Library/Logs/CrashReporter . Any hints there?
              • 4. Re: Filemaker under Snow Leopard will not start up!
                cribscapes

Bingo,

It was something in the folder SIMBL in the InputManagers folder.  It would not let me move or remove the folder but I was eventually able to replace it with an empty folder.  I'm not sure what it is or what it is for.

Everything is back to normal now and Filemaker and all apps are working fine.

Thanks to Mark at BareBones software for the diagnosis and fix!

Neil